What is the Best Draft Year in Sharks' History?

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Over in the main NHL forum, there is a post about teams' best 1+2 draft year. It's here:

"Getzlaf & Perry(2003), Schwartz & Tarasenko(2010)... How many others are there?"
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1985201&page=3

Only Sharks response was from Clowe Me regarding Marleau and Thornton. Since the Sharks never drafted Thornton, what year and who are the players you believe represents the best draft year for the Sharks?

Feel free to post over in that post linked above, as well. Clowe Me needs some Sharks support. I would but have have not been a Sharks fan until recent history. I would like to hear the opinions here in our Sharks forum, particularly from the long term fans.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
These are the best years I see with 2003 probably being the best IMO

1994 Freisen, Korky, Nabokov
1998 Stuart, Cheech, Davison, Samuelsson, Fahey
2001 Goc, Ehrhoff, Clowe
2003 Michalek, Bernier, Carle, Pavelski
2005 Seto, Vlasic, Stalock
2007 Couture, Braun, Bonino
2012 Hertl, Tierney, O'Regan, Ryan

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I say 2007 since you have a #1c and a #3 dman that are still on the team. 2003 was good too but just Pavs remains.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The 1997 draft would have to be it. You get the best-drafted forward in the Sharks's history in Marleau, probably the second-best defenseman drafted in their history in Scott Hannan (as he was, for a time, considered an elite NHL-dman in the dead puck era), and Mark Smith. On a side note, Colgiacomo is probably the most offensively gifted forward the Sharks have ever drafted outside of the first round.

The other year in contention might be the inaugural draft. You get perennial top-6 forwards in Ray Whitney, "decent NHL career" in Pat Faloon, the best defenseman they have ever drafted in Sandis Ozolinsh (and in his prime, a legit #1 d-man), plius a couple o f other journeymen NHLers).

Don't forget that in the 94 draft, they got Varada.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The 2003 draft...is an interesting one. When each player is at his best, it has to easily be the best. But except for Pavelski, those are some disappointing careers. Carle's career average is going to be that of a #4-5 D-man, Bernier's topping out as fourth-liner, and Michalek is more "top-6 winger" than "first-line winger".

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Gotta be 2003. 1997 is out IMO because marleau was a no-brainer pick and Hannan was a first-rounder. That they both panned out to the degree they did is no great reflection on management.

2003 though, Michalek became a 1W, Bernier is still in the league, Carle is a top 4, and Pavelski in the 7th is a cut flawless diamond found in the rough, being our captain and one of the best players in franchise history.

HM 2007 the move to get Couture was a strong move and returned a solid 1st line quality player. Braun and Bonino were also good picks.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Meh sorry, wrong thread.

Last edited:

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Draft, I don't think the Sharks have ever had a really good one. No true super stars or star top players.

Probably my feelings as I don't see a standout 1+2 draft year.

I have to wonder.... "do the Sharks draft well?" other than some good ones here and there.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
the 1997 draft would have to be it. You get the best-drafted forward in the sharks's history in marleau, probably the second-best defenseman drafted in their history in scott hannan (as he was, for a time, considered an elite nhl-dman in the dead puck era), and mark smith.
this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad