What is the best advice you ever were told/read when it comes to fitness?

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
Consistency in anything is the greatest factor.

A 20% effort going through the motions workout is 100% better than having not gone.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
- Building the body is like 30 percent lifting and 70 percent nutrition
- If you are not grunting because it hurts, you are not growing
- Runners high is a stress killer which helps to reduce mortality

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
its a lifestyle choice

as in - dont get wrapped up in the mirror, scale or numbers. Find a way to love it, and the progress will take care of itself.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
If you’re trying to lose weight:

1 - Calories in, calories out. No fancy overcomplicated diet is needed.
2 - Fasting is the best thing you can do to your body.

For the new lifters:

1- Run a simple strenght program like Stronglift 5x5 to milk your novice gains.

Last edited:

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I was really struggling with doing chinups consistently (I can do them I'm just lazy at actually doing them in a home workout). So I saw the tip of instead of trying to do 3 x 8 or whatever in a workout, just spread them throughout the day and do more volume. So one set before breakfast, one around lunch, one during a break at work or studying or whatever, one before dinner, one after and one before bed, etc. Or just mix up and do a couple sets here or there.

Basically went from doing 3 x 8 chinups once in a while to doing several sets of chinups throughout the week this way. And pullups, I'm even lazier when it comes to those cos they're harder.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
If you’re trying to lose weight:

1 - Calories in, calories out. No fancy overcomplicated diet is needed.
2 - Fasting is the best thing you can do to your body.

For the new lifters:

1- Run a simple strenght program like Stronglift 5x5 to milk your novice gains.

It always comes down to a calorie deficit. No matter how you do it, if you want to lose weight that's it.

For me form before weight always helped. Though I get stupid and break that rule too often.

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
plan/prepare your meals in advanced

Best advice I got.

I prep my snacks, suppers and freeze them for work. Supper as well.

I buy fresh fruit, flash freeze them cuts, so that they don't stick together.

A couple hours of pain on one day, but the results speak for themselves, as you drop weight without even working out.

Reactions: jorbjorb

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
-Stop treating workouts like a punishment.

I always had to get "through" them.

When I didn't, I felt lazy. So I had to punish myself with a harder workout to make up.

-Do workouts you love.

Nature walks. Biking. Playing hockey.

Much easier to stick to, since you look forward to it.

-Set realistic goals. Put them in writing. Create a vision board, to start manifesting the goals, to make them results vs keeping them inside your mind, and keeping them as dreams.

The vision board idea was the best idea, for me as well. I put so much inspirational pictures in my home gym, and framed them.

Much easier to fight through a tough workout when you know you can do it, vs being certain you will fail.

nihlify

Jan 20, 2010
#1 Find a friend to train with. I probably doubled the amount of gym sessions when starting to train with a coworker. At least for me it's far to easy to skip one here and there when I'm just by myself. Having something to push you (and wait for you to come to the gym) makes it mentally easier to get yourself there. Also if you're just staring out it's more fun and easier to have someone you can discuss technique and such with.

#2 Set a few goals. Is it just to be more healthy, lose weight, build muscles, finish a HM, or just maintenance? Once you have your goals you can lay out a plan with training, diet and all that. It's also more easier to keep pushing yourself when you have something to strive for.

#3 Accept it's for the long term and don't expect results right away. Pushing yourself too hard too soon will only lead to you training hard for a few months before burning yourself out. Take it gradually, find a good progressive program for running or weights training that have you increase distance and weight gradually.

#4 Think a little more about what you eat. Goes a little into #2. If losing weight is your goal, then what you eat will be by far the biggest factor. Do you just want to get more muscles? Make sure you eat enough quality protein and keep an eye on the amount of calory you burn and eat so you're not too high or too low. And don't stress too much about strict diets, find something that works for what you are after.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
Start to fast.

The best thing you can do for your body is fasting, really there's nothing even close. We (the US) are the most unhealthy society in world history and it's a direct result of our awful diets. We eat too much food per meal, the wrong kind of foods, and too frequently. We're also the most sedentary society in world history and we get the worst sleep. We basically do things as poorly as you can, which, not surprisingly, is why diabetes, heart disease, cancer, obesity and many other issues are so common.

Most of these things are tied to high insulin, which basically everyone has. Every time you eat your body releases insulin, fats release the least amount, proteins follow, and carbohydrates release the most....especially refined carbs. If you combine a high carb diet (with mostly refined carbs) with eating too frequently, you're going to have very high insulin levels and ultimately end up with insulin resistance...which of course leads to all of the conditions I mentioned above, most notably diabetes.

Fasting lowers your insulin, turning insulin resistance into insulin sensitivity, after roughly 24 hours it leads to the release of growth hormone AND starts the process of autophagy, which is a built in "tool" your body uses that basically acts as an internal clean-out. This process can only begin through fasting and it's extremely beneficial.

There's a lot to say about this topic but if you're interested I highly recommend doing more research into it. You were never designed to eat 3-4 meals per day in addition to snacks. You were always designed to go long periods of time without eating. You were never designed to have most of your caloric intake be from carbohydrates, or least from fats.

There's a reason that once dietary guidelines were first introduced, in 1980, countless diseases and conditions skyrocketed. Countless studies show cholesterol/saturated fat have no link to heart disease, but diets high in sugar/carbs do.

Diets don't work and never will, fasting is not only very easy to incorporate long term, it's literally how your body was designed.

Reactions: blue425

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Start to fast.

The best thing you can do for your body is fasting, really there's nothing even close. We (the US) are the most unhealthy society in world history and it's a direct result of our awful diets. We eat too much food per meal, the wrong kind of foods, and too frequently. We're also the most sedentary society in world history and we get the worst sleep. We basically do things as poorly as you can, which, not surprisingly, is why diabetes, heart disease, cancer, obesity and many other issues are so common.

Most of these things are tied to high insulin, which basically everyone has. Every time you eat your body releases insulin, fats release the least amount, proteins follow, and carbohydrates release the most....especially refined carbs. If you combine a high carb diet (with mostly refined carbs) with eating too frequently, you're going to have very high insulin levels and ultimately end up with insulin resistance...which of course leads to all of the conditions I mentioned above, most notably diabetes.

Fasting lowers your insulin, turning insulin resistance into insulin sensitivity, after roughly 24 hours it leads to the release of growth hormone AND starts the process of autophagy, which is a built in "tool" your body uses that basically acts as an internal clean-out. This process can only begin through fasting and it's extremely beneficial.

There's a lot to say about this topic but if you're interested I highly recommend doing more research into it. You were never designed to eat 3-4 meals per day in addition to snacks. You were always designed to go long periods of time without eating. You were never designed to have most of your caloric intake be from carbohydrates, or least from fats.

There's a reason that once dietary guidelines were first introduced, in 1980, countless diseases and conditions skyrocketed. Countless studies show cholesterol/saturated fat have no link to heart disease, but diets high in sugar/carbs do.

Diets don't work and never will, fasting is not only very easy to incorporate long term, it's literally how your body was designed.
Diets work for a lot of people who are committed to it...

Reactions: nihlify

TheGreenTBer

If Elvis calls tell him to f*ck off
Apr 30, 2021
Start to fast.

This quote specifically confuses me.

Carnivores and hypercarnivores have body systems highly adapted for "feast or famine" structure. They're able to gorge themselves on protein-, moisture- and fat-heavy foods. Specifically, animal products like lean/fatty meat, bones and organs. Some of the most prized parts of the kill are the fatty parts, which are far more energy-dense than lean meat. The calories from fat can keep these animals alive in times of poor hunting, and fat is treasured as a result.

I am aware we are omnivores, but if we were designed to go very long periods without eating, why would we not be designed to digest fat? It may be nutrient-poor but it's extremely energy-rich and in times of hunger it's worth it's weight in gold.

Reactions: nihlify

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
This quote specifically confuses me.

Carnivores and hypercarnivores have body systems highly adapted for "feast or famine" structure. They're able to gorge themselves on protein-, moisture- and fat-heavy foods. Specifically, animal products like lean/fatty meat, bones and organs. Some of the most prized parts of the kill are the fatty parts, which are far more energy-dense than lean meat. The calories from fat can keep these animals alive in times of poor hunting, and fat is treasured as a result.

I am aware we are omnivores, but if we were designed to go very long periods without eating, why would we not be designed to digest fat? It may be nutrient-poor but it's extremely energy-rich and in times of hunger it's worth it's weight in gold.

You misread what I said, or maybe I didn't say it clearly enough. For decades the dietary recommendations were to eat most of your calories from carbohydrates, and least of your calories from fat...and still today that's what's recommended.

My statement is in response to that.

You were never designed to have most of your caloric intake be from carbohydrates, or least from fats.

Fats are extremely beneficial and agree completely we should be eating a lot of them.

As for the "very long periods of time without eating" comment. What most people who fast do is what they refer to as time restricted eating. Most days they'll have a window of eating and then not eat again until the next day. Popular "plans" are 20/4, 18/6, 16/8 etc. The smaller number is the eating window (4/6/8) in hours that you get all of your calories, the bigger number is the length of time you go without eating. For example I eat my last meal of the day between 5-7 pm, and my first meal of the following day between 10am-12pm. 16-18 hours. Many people do what's called "OMAD", or one meal a day. So their fasting period is nearly 24 hours.

And then many people who eat this way also incorporate longer fasts such as 24 hours up to 7 days and beyond. They do this to, as noted in my prior post, release even more growth hormones and have even longer periods of autophagy.

I just wanted to clear up the "long periods of time" statement I made, because there are reasons people try to reach certain lengths during their fast...it's not arbitrary.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
Diets work for a lot of people who are committed to it...

Diets work great, just not long term. It's why companies like Jenny Craig and others continue to stay in business. Repeat customers. Someone will experience success over a month or two, go off the diet, gain the weight back and often times even more, and then think "well, I lost weight using (insert diet), I'll just go back to that".

What led me to fasting, and learning about fasting, is the desire to learn about the process of gaining weight. What causes it, why does your body store fat, why is it sometimes nearly impossible to burn that fat, etc.

Diets don't deal with this cause, insulin and high sugar, they typically always deal in caloric restriction. But that's not sustainable long term and it doesn't address the root of the problem, insulin. You can reduce your calories but if you're eating too frequently, you're going to have high insulin, you're going to store more fat because of it, and when you get off that diet your weight is going to shoot right back up. It's a cycle the creators of these diets are well aware of and it has been extremely profitable for them.

Reactions: SirClintonPortis

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I once read in a muscle and fitness magazine, "NEVER over stretch." And that truly is the best advice you can get..... I have spent the better part of my life in martial arts and used to do a ton of over splits (splits on two chairs and go past) and because of that I believe I have arthritis in my left hip. I still stretch almost daily, with all kinds of different stretches and can still do the splits easily, but I have issues with my hips and back now and although it's not totally confirmed it's from over stretching, I have a good guess that it's because of that. The article was fantastic... I will have to go back and see if I can find it and who exactly said it (it's been a number of years since I have read it, but I still have the magazine) but the guy had a friend who did a ton of over stretching and ended up with a bunch of arthritis.

It's a very fine line of not enough stretching, and too much stretching. Nice light yoga, and some balanced stretching is amazing for the body but over stretching like some of the contortions do can lead to some nasty problems as a person ages.(Of course in your teens, 20's and maybe even 30's you are ok while your body is still young and limber, but once you hit the later stages of your life you might have some issues)

nihlify

Jan 20, 2010
Don’t make excuses. A 1 hour workout is only 4% of your day.
That's easy to say, but 8 hours of sleep and 8 hours of work already takes away 67 % of the day... Ad 1-2 hour of commute to work, fixing breakfast, lunch and dinner for you and the family, going shopping for food or other necessities, driving the kids to school or any activity they might have, cleaning the house, pay the bills and such things and then there aren't a massive amount of time you have left and that's not counting on having ANY downtime. Good way to wear yourself down into the ground. Sure there's days you can squeeze it in, but lets not pretend saying it's "just 4 %" magically make it easy.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
That's easy to say, but 8 hours of sleep and 8 hours of work already takes away 67 % of the day... Ad 1-2 hour of commute to work, fixing breakfast, lunch and dinner for you and the family, going shopping for food or other necessities, driving the kids to school or any activity they might have, cleaning the house, pay the bills and such things and then there aren't a massive amount of time you have left and that's not counting on having ANY downtime. Good way to wear yourself down into the ground. Sure there's days you can squeeze it in, but lets not pretend saying it's "just 4 %" magically make it easy.

Most people don’t have a 2hr commute and many people park themselves infront of the tv for hours each night. That’s a personal decision. I workout in my downtime. Also exercise adds energy and improves health and I find improves sleep. I’m sure many can come up with a ton of excuses as to why they don’t workout, or aren’t healthy. Hell I have a friend claiming he can’t afford to eat health. Yet magically has money for fast food. Excuses excuses everyone can find one.

Mental health burnout can happen just as likely as physical burnout. Physical activity improves mental health. I’ve had times in life when I burned out. Wasn’t when I was keeping on my fitness routine though. It’s massively understated how important it is. When you don’t have the needed energy you feel you need to get through the day is when you will be vulnerable. A good workout routine doesn’t take away from your energy level, it energizes you. I work full time, I have 3 kids. I’m sure I could find an excuse to not workout if I wanted but I find the time and set an example. My youngest joins me for it all the time now.

Last edited:

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Most people don’t have a 2hr commute and many people park themselves infront of the tv for hours each night. That’s a personal decision. I workout in my downtime. Also exercise adds energy and improves health and I find improves sleep. I’m sure many can come up with a ton of excuses as to why they don’t workout, or aren’t healthy. Hell I have a friend claiming he can’t afford to eat health. Yet magically has money for fast food. Excuses excuses everyone can find one.

Mental health burnout can happen just as likely as physical burnout. Physical activity improves mental health. I’ve had times in life when I burned out. Wasn’t when I was keeping on my fitness routine though. It’s massively understated how important it is. When you don’t have the needed energy you feel you need to get through the day is when you will be vulnerable. A good workout routine doesn’t take away from your energy level, it energizes you. I work full time, I have 3 kids. I’m sure I could find an excuse to not workout if I wanted but I find the time and set an example. My youngest joins me for it all the time now.

I did the math one day. I know the prices of things vary from place to place but in my town a Double cheeseburger combo meal (McD's, Wendy's, Burger King) is about 16-18$.

One AAA steak (approx 10 oz) at the grocery store here is 10-12$
One salad kit is 5$
Total cost ~17$

If you cook your steak the night before and slice it up, your lunch the next day could be a steak salad with a premium quality steak as your protein for the same price as a crappy drive thru combo meal.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I did the math one day. I know the prices of things vary from place to place but in my town a Double cheeseburger combo meal (McD's, Wendy's, Burger King) is about 16-18$.

One salad kit is 5$
Total cost ~17$

If you cook your steak the night before and slice it up, your lunch the next day could be a steak salad with a premium quality steak as your protein for the same price as a crappy drive thru combo meal.

You can get 4 chicken breasts for $10. 2 breast and some greens is like $6-7 a meal and doesn’t take long to prep. As I said to the other poster. It’s a choice. You either choose it and make the time and effort or you don’t. If you don’t, don’t say it’s cause you can’t cause that’s just not true.

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008

One salad kit is 5$
Total cost ~17$

Or just buy the stuff you need to make burgers at home. Burger patties cost $1 each, buns cost $0.50, cheese $0.25 per slice. If you have one of those small portable grills (I have a George Foreman grill), it's super quick and easy to make. If you want fries as well, just buy a bag of McCain fries and put some in the oven before you start cooking the burger. You could have a cheeseburger and fries meal for $2 worth of ingredients.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native

Uncured bacon alone is healthier than a Big Mac and it stretches out the budget. Fast food is cooked in vegetable oil, the carbs will trigger hunger later in the day, and the aforementioned vegetable oil got all sorts of nasty chemicals like TBHQ.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Long hike(10km) after breakfast for longevity and healthy body

2nd best to this is early workout (30 min-1 hour) before getting on with the day

Keep insulin sensitivity in top form. Stick to limiting eating to two meals per day.

AceKing21

Oct 19, 2021
Central NY
1. Stay consistent and dedicated
2. Do not deprive your body of meals. Cheat days are good. Balance. You don't have to kills yourself to get results. You can still eat pizza and ice cream, but do it in moderation.
3. Form > Weight
4. Mix up the exercises. Don't do the same routine every week
5. Research different exercises and incorporate them
6. Workout for yourself, don't try to impress people.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->