What is the best advice you ever were told/read when it comes to fitness?

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Get off the bench...Do as many weight training workouts standing, as possible.

Oh, and rest. Take a couple days off between heavy weight training or HIIT workouts. Over training is a thing.

Finally, your goals have to be seen as a triad - exercise, proper food intake, and proper sleep. Screw up on any of those and you're cheating yourself.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Is there any evidence to support this theory? For years I've heard that it's a myth.
https://www.howtobeast.com/proof-the-post-workout-anabolic-window-is-a-lie/

Sorry for the late reply. Saw this a while back and must’ve gotten busy and forgotten. That article tries to sell you something right away and isn’t a peer-reviewed source. Also, a lot of the seemingly legitimate sources it links to are 10+ years old. I could cherry-pick sources to convince someone of just about anything. That’s why it’s important to look at the available (and recent) information/research as a whole.

Ask any sports dietitian and they’ll tell you how important fast digesting protein and carbs are after a workout.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Get off the bench...Do as many weight training workouts standing, as possible.

Oh, and rest. Take a couple days off between heavy weight training or HIIT workouts. Over training is a thing.

Finally, your goals have to be seen as a triad - exercise, proper food intake, and proper sleep. Screw up on any of those and you're cheating yourself.

Why does it help to be standing? I’m not disagreeing I just would like to understand.

Definitely agree with rest and how important sleep and diet are.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Sorry for the late reply. Saw this a while back and must’ve gotten busy and forgotten. That article tries to sell you something right away and isn’t a peer-reviewed source. Also, a lot of the seemingly legitimate sources it links to are 10+ years old. I could cherry-pick sources to convince someone of just about anything. That’s why it’s important to look at the available (and recent) information/research as a whole.

Ask any sports dietitian and they’ll tell you how important fast digesting protein and carbs are after a workout.

Do you mind actually providing some sort of evidence though? Again, I've only heard of this rule when it's been brought up as a myth from the fitness community.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Why does it help to be standing? I’m not disagreeing I just would like to understand.

Definitely agree with rest and how important sleep and diet are.
It's a general rule of thumb. You indirectly involve other muscles when you're standing while exercising areas such as the biceps, shoulders, back. It's more of a full body workout, especially the core. Less chance for injury as well. Micro-targeting, such as using the preacher-bench or leg extension machine are "generally" more dangerous and offer less benefits than the meat and potatoes exercises involving more muscles. You can go a little heavier, you involve more muscles, you burn more calories, your risk of injury decreases, and you get bigger.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
It's a general rule of thumb. You indirectly involve other muscles when you're standing while exercising areas such as the biceps, shoulders, back. It's more of a full body workout, especially the core. Less chance for injury as well. Micro-targeting, such as using the preacher-bench or leg extension machine are "generally" more dangerous and offer less benefits than the meat and potatoes exercises involving more muscles. You can go a little heavier, you involve more muscles, you burn more calories, your risk of injury decreases, and you get bigger.

Fair enough. I always find I accidentally use my back to cheat a bit when I stand with exercises like military press, bicep curls, etc. I feel like I get more of a workout on the areas I’m trying to hit when I’m sitting.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Fair enough. I always find I accidentally use my back to cheat a bit when I stand with exercises like military press, bicep curls, etc. I feel like I get more of a workout on the areas I’m trying to hit when I’m sitting.
I had my "preacher curl" phase and my seat barbell curl phase. I now swear by the standing as much as possible while lifting.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I had my "preacher curl" phase and my seat barbell curl phase. I now swear by the standing as much as possible while lifting.

I just feel like it hurts my back if I do too many exercises standing. I try to watch my form but I swear it always ends up with pain the next day.

Reactions: Rob

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I just feel like it hurts my back if I do too many exercises standing. I try to watch my form but I swear it always ends up with pain the next day.
For me, I often hurt my neck when I do the lying tricep extension/presses. I end up pressing my head against the back of the bench for added force.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Whether weight loss or body building, find a regimen that is first and foremost repeatable. Is a weight loss regimen built around lifting heavy things scientifically proven to be more efficient than cardio? Maybe. But if you can't consistently lift, it's a moot point. Do what you can do every day without driving yourself crazy.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
A big one I’ve seen relevant for me personally is mixing up workouts. Sometimes I become so fixated on improving certain lifts that I think I can’t add in extra exercises or I’d be at the gym for hours.

Recently, I’ve gotten away from that and have been trying new exercises and forms of cardio I never thought I’d really touch for a long time.

It definitely keeps it more interesting that’s for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->