What is the best advice you ever were told/read when it comes to fitness?

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Nobody will ever recommend not eating fruits. Just dont binge on them.

The leg extension is a terrible exercise and it is never a good alternative for squatting. If its too hot to squat, its most likely too hot to train. Plus there's plenty more exercises you can do if you want to ***** out on squats.

Upright rows are the same, on top of not being an isolation movement, its a terrible one that pinches your rotator cuff muscle against the bone just over it, which lead to pain/inflammation/injury...

Also, you can get a pump from any movement, and a good one at that, it doesn't mean its the best move or even a good move. Training movememt rather than muscle is a mindset everybody should adopt.

Its kinda like taking cocaine, youll get an awesome high (pump?)... And then

I don't replace squats with leg extensions; squats and deadlifts are mainstays of my leg workouts. I temporarily put leg extensions in place of Bulgarian Split Squat - an exercise I love, but it's been in my workout for several months. I've upped the weight, but I feel my legs are adapted to them; so I'm going to give it a brief break.

The heat/humidity definitely affects athletic performance, especially as extreme as they are here. As I mentioned, I jump rope a LOT. Once the heat/humidity kicks in the difference in performance is palpable. Hitting a very high rep count is noticeably harder, my technique falters, and recovery time increases.

As much as I love the Bulgarian Split Squat - and I do believe that exercises that are most challenging are best - I look like I jumped out of a pool after one set. I feel it's more cardio than fatiguing my legs; so the leg extensions give me a great burn in the legs, and I'm not nearly as tired. Plus, I do both legs together, which keeps the workout from going too long; important when recovery times are a little longer in the summer.

I appreciate your words of wisdom, and as I mentioned, I'm aware of the dangers. I've just found that for me, it works as a temporary replacement for other exercises.

I found a shoulder workout on a reputable site from a reputable trainer that included upright rows. I know the criticisms of the exercise, but I feel fine doing them. I don't overdo the weight or the reps.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
OK, this conversation got me thinking. I'm doing shoulders today, and no more upright rows. While I do agree with others that keeping form and weight in check is a good idea, the arguments against this exercise are quite vociferous.

So thanks for the words - I'm done with it!

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
OK, this conversation got me thinking. I'm doing shoulders today, and no more upright rows. While I do agree with others that keeping form and weight in check is a good idea, the arguments against this exercise are quite vociferous.

So thanks for the words - I'm done with it!

Im just someone that likes to keep it simple. Ive been mainly doing powerlifting with little assistance work for "muscle building". I go for performance ehancement instead and it just changed my optics on training. Results? Massive mass gains (Ik :laugh:), massive strength gains and just overall well being.

Takes a toll on the body if you dont do it right though.

firewagonHOCKEY

Mar 7, 2006
Belgium
Eat your proteins.. diet is still undervalued a huge deal when it comes to building muscle. If you are trying to lose weight, eat proteins. If you are trying to pack on muscle, eat proteins.

Eat , train, rest.

Reactions: IComeInPeace

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Eat your proteins.. diet is still undervalued a huge deal when it comes to building muscle. If you are trying to lose weight, eat proteins. If you are trying to pack on muscle, eat proteins.

Eat , train, rest.

So are you saying supplements aren't necessary? I've read conflicting opinions.

I do try to eat as much of my protein as possible, but I also supplement with whey protein. I can't say if it does any good or not; but it only costs about $1 a day, so I do it.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
How many grams of protein do you guys try to get in a day?

I do a bit more than a gram per pound. I weigh anywhere from 175-177 on an empty stomach in the morning (5'11") so I am for 175g of protein a day, sometimes I go over and into the 200s, but never less.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I do a bit more than a gram per pound. I weigh anywhere from 175-177 on an empty stomach in the morning (5'11") so I am for 175g of protein a day, sometimes I go over and into the 200s, but never less.

How much of that is from food, how much from powders/supplements?

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
How much of that is from food, how much from powders/supplements?

About a quarter of it is from my protein powder. I take two scoops after workouts (around 54g). Sometimes I'll also mix some protein powder in with a fruit smoothie I make with frozen berries, bananas, Greek yogurt, etc. or use my protein powder to make protein pancakes as well (eggs, banana, protein powder). It depends on the day and what I'm in the mood for. Otherwise, I stick to my chicken, ground beef, ground turkey, etc.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So are you saying supplements aren't necessary? I've read conflicting opinions.

I do try to eat as much of my protein as possible, but I also supplement with whey protein. I can't say if it does any good or not; but it only costs about $1 a day, so I do it.

Supplements are absolutely not necessary.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I try to follow the aptly named (by none other than me) rule of 100's.

More than 100 grams of proteins every day and less than 100 grams of carbs every day.

Less than 50 grams of carbs on off days.

Reactions: IComeInPeace

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Supplements are absolutely not necessary.

Do you feel they are unnecessary, or that they don't do anything?

I am definitely a hard gainer that burns lots of calories in my endeavors.

I supplement, and while I either don't build muscle or build it very slowly, I have at least maintained.

I don't know if that's due to the protein powder or not.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Do you feel they are unnecessary, or that they don't do anything?

I am definitely a hard gainer that burns lots of calories in my endeavors.

I supplement, and while I either don't build muscle or build it very slowly, I have at least maintained.

I don't know if that's due to the protein powder or not.

Theres nothing that supplements do that food doesnt do.

It also always depends on what you mean by supplements. None of them are essential, few of them are good and the only ones i consume are whey and creatine.

Assuming you have a quality whey, which is rarely the case, you get cheap protein spike in a few seconds. So thats valuable but it doesnt do anything that a chicken breast doesnt do.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Three things:

1) Less is more. What I mean by that is don't start reading tons of fitness magazines, sites, message boards and what not. You'll end up with a serious case of paralysis by analysis. Find ONE workout program that suits you and stick to it for 6 weeks. Once that's done, find another one and repeat.

2) Get used to working out on your own. Too many times I see a bunch of guys working out together, making jokes, shooting the sh%^& , taking 5-6 minutes breaks between sets, etc. That's absolutely terrible and counter productive as all hell.

Work out in your own, have some headphones with some music for company and focus.

3) Supplements. There's 3 that I always have on hand; Whey Protein, Creatine and a Multivitamin/Mineral supplement. The rest are not necessary.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Do you guys really think creatine works? I used it for about 10 months - 1 year, drank a bunch of water as recommended, and didn't really notice it doing anything for me.

Also, is upright row really that bad? That actually is one of the primary shoulder workouts I was taught and have been doing it for years. Is there a good alternative?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Three things:

1) Less is more. What I mean by that is don't start reading tons of fitness magazines, sites, message boards and what not. You'll end up with a serious case of paralysis by analysis. Find ONE workout program that suits you and stick to it for 6 weeks. Once that's done, find another one and repeat.

2) Get used to working out on your own. Too many times I see a bunch of guys working out together, making jokes, shooting the sh%^& , taking 5-6 minutes breaks between sets, etc. That's absolutely terrible and counter productive as all hell.

Work out in your own, have some headphones with some music for company and focus.

3) Supplements. There's 3 that I always have on hand; Whey Protein, Creatine and a Multivitamin/Mineral supplement. The rest are not necessary.

Your first point is wrong. The 6 weeks thing to "shock" the body is bro science.

Your second point varies between people.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Do you guys really think creatine works? I used it for about 10 months - 1 year, drank a bunch of water as recommended, and didn't really notice it doing anything for me.

Also, is upright row really that bad? That actually is one of the primary shoulder workouts I was taught and have been doing it for years. Is there a good alternative?

For a guy that researches everything he does, youll find it odd that I didnt actually look deep in creatine. I figure at the cheap price it comes for, why not.

Upright rows are terrible. Even with no weights its a movement that pinches your rotator cuff and it recruits way too much muscle to be efficient.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Your first point is wrong. The 6 weeks thing to "shock" the body is bro science.

I'm not doing for the shock factor, I'm doing it for the not getting bored factor. The key is to commit to A program instead of constantly reading magazines and sites, tweaking this or that, it's insane. There's no perfect program, just get your ass to the gym and lift.

Your second point varies between people.

Too often, people will use their training partner as a crutch. If their partner can't make it, they'll also lose that urge to go. Better to get used doing it on your own and kill that excuse. Even if I train by myself, meeting a friend at the gym will add at least 10-15 minutes to my workout since I'm now distracted and chatting about this and that between sets or exercises. This is not necessary.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX

I went back to the shoulder workout I had been doing that included upright rows (on a very reputable site). I scrolled down and read the comments, and many railed against the upright row.

Did a little bit more clicking and found this. This convinced me to drop it, mainly because the damage it can do can happen so slowly, that you don't notice it. I've never felt any pain doing it, but I do fear if I keep doing it, that day will come. At 3:23 he demonstrates a dumbbell high pull that he says is safer.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
8cb69cffa7d578654533490c0844a4ed.jpg

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
ego lifting gets you nowhere.

infinitely more valuable to keep the weight at where you can perform the movement cleanly.

and semi related, drop sets are your friend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->