What is the best advice you ever were told/read when it comes to fitness?

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
"I just felt like running" - Forrest Gump

Watched that movie a few years ago and have been road running ever since. Just was like "huh; **** it, I'm going for a run" Started with just a couple miles a week around my neighborhood; have been doing 10 mile runs regularly and at my peak I did a 50 K.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Implying do what ever works for you, if the science agrees.

That seems contradictory. Assuming you know it works for you, and it is not something else and you are confused, then who cares what Science says works for most people?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
That seems contradictory. Assuming you know it works for you, and it is not something else and you are confused, then who cares what Science says works for most people?

Because you dont have a MD or a PhD in Bio/kino/physio whatever, so theres more chances that you dont know what the heck is up with your body.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Because you dont have a MD or a PhD in Bio/kino/physio whatever, so theres more chances that you dont know what the heck is up with your body.

Agree to disagree I guess. Like I said this is assuming it is something that is actually working for you, not just loose correlation stuff like "I ate 2 Big Mac's yesterday and lost 2 lbs!".

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010

nobody will know your body better than you.

do what works for you, and once you feel you plateau switch it up.

Vide

Mar 2, 2015
I think that science should not be ignored.

Meh, science is very contradictory in the fitness field I find. Some studies show one thing, another the complete opposite. It's a quagmire. The more I read about it the more confused I get. I think it will be quite a few years before we have really good, iron-clad science as to what is actually good and what isn't, when it comes to fitness, nutrition etc. I agree that you should do what works for you. Working out for a long period of time you will learn a lot about yourself and your body and how it works. Trial and error.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I have to weigh in on this. The simple "Do whatever works for you" is the way to go. **** science. If it's working, stick to it. Realistically at the end of the day, if you are committed and it's actively moving you to a healthier lifestyle, don't change it! Obviously that comes with the understanding what you are doing is safe, proper form, etc.

I understand Mrb1p's perspective of science... but for this thread, it's not warranted. If you are diving deep into what makes you healthy and you are already committed to a healthy lifestyle, sure - jump in and check what science says. It's like advanced stats in hockey. Don't ignore it, but don't make it the holy grail of your workout.

At the end of the day, the lifelong journey of fitness is between you, your mind, and your body. If you have something that is working, just do it. Don't get caught up in the rest.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
One more piece of advice - "healthy lifestyle" doesn't have to mean 6 pack and jacked. If you are walking 3x a week and making a conscious effort to eat one healthy meal a day, you are starting your journey. This isn't a sprint, it's absolutely a marathon.

So don't get discouraged if you don't have ripped shoulders, chest, or all 6 abs show. Just be happy with the journey and that you are making positive steps. It will come. Even if all you can do at first is walk a mile, you are making the right choice. Stay positive.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I have to weigh in on this. The simple "Do whatever works for you" is the way to go. **** science. If it's working, stick to it. Realistically at the end of the day, if you are committed and it's actively moving you to a healthier lifestyle, don't change it! Obviously that comes with the understanding what you are doing is safe, proper form, etc.

I understand Mrb1p's perspective of science... but for this thread, it's not warranted. If you are diving deep into what makes you healthy and you are already committed to a healthy lifestyle, sure - jump in and check what science says. It's like advanced stats in hockey. Don't ignore it, but don't make it the holy grail of your workout.

At the end of the day, the lifelong journey of fitness is between you, your mind, and your body. If you have something that is working, just do it. Don't get caught up in the rest.

I mean you could go against science and eat a large bowl of Lucky charms a day and still feel perfectly fine, but hey.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
That's not the argument at all, and you know it.

That was my claim at first, theres basic scientific guidelines that should not be ignored. A lot of people agree with the "IIFYM" movement, and a lot of people agree with things like small meals, and other myths/bro science that dont have actual benefit and some are actually harmful to a certain extent. Thats where science is important, just throwing things at the wall and see what stick is one way to do it, but why do it when the optimal situation is just 15 minutes read away?

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
That was my claim at first, theres basic scientific guidelines that should not be ignored. A lot of people agree with the "IIFYM" movement, and a lot of people agree with things like small meals, and other myths/bro science that dont have actual benefit and some are actually harmful to a certain extent. Thats where science is important, just throwing things at the wall and see what stick is one way to do it, but why do it when the optimal situation is just 15 minutes read away?

Because the answer is never "15 minutes away". There is no one size fits all answer. If there was, this would all be so easy, everyone would be in great shape.

I don't know what "IIFYM" or "bro science" means, but the caveat has been mentioned by everyone that you seem to be ignoring, that it is within reason and is something that is actually helping you. I even provided a very similar analogy to your lucky charms one and said it is specifically NOT that line of thinking.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Because the answer is never "15 minutes away". There is no one size fits all answer. If there was, this would all be so easy, everyone would be in great shape.

I don't know what "IIFYM" or "bro science" means, but the caveat has been mentioned by everyone that you seem to be ignoring, that it is within reason and is something that is actually helping you. I even provided a very similar analogy to your lucky charms one and said it is specifically NOT that line of thinking.

Theres basic scientific guide lines that should not be ignored, case closed.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Meh, science is very contradictory in the fitness field I find. Some studies show one thing, another the complete opposite. It's a quagmire. The more I read about it the more confused I get. I think it will be quite a few years before we have really good, iron-clad science as to what is actually good and what isn't, when it comes to fitness, nutrition etc. I agree that you should do what works for you. Working out for a long period of time you will learn a lot about yourself and your body and how it works. Trial and error.

I completely agree with this. I've read contradicting views on certain subjects pertaining to fitness. And if you go back years, you can see where certain beliefs have been debunked.

There are some areas where I go against science - or at least some people's beliefs of science. I'll give some examples, keeping in mind I am an ectomorph/hard gainer, and I jump rope a LOT.

I eat a lot of fruit, despite being warned of the sugar content. For me, those that claim the sugar in fruit processes differently and is less harmful is definitely the case. I get hungry, I eat fruit, since I love it.

I do eat some processed foods. My office is right next door to a McDonald's I haven't set foot in, in 15 years. I pack a lunch everyday, making a sandwich with (processed) cold cuts. I get very lean cuts of meat; it's convenient, I enjoy it, and it's the much lesser of two evils.

I do some 'bad' exercises.
Such as leg extensions. They are NOT a mainstay of my leg routines. But in the summer months when Texas heat and humidity make the compound leg exercises even more exhausting, an isolation exercise like that in which I can really feel it hitting the muscle is a good alternative. I keep the weight and reps reasonable.

I also do upright rows. I get a good mind-muscle connection, and feel I've gotten results from it.

I've taken flak for all of the above. I know the science why people don't like them, but so far they work for me. If that changes, I'll change.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I completely agree with this. I've read contradicting views on certain subjects pertaining to fitness. And if you go back years, you can see where certain beliefs have been debunked.

There are some areas where I go against science - or at least some people's beliefs of science. I'll give some examples, keeping in mind I am an ectomorph/hard gainer, and I jump rope a LOT.

I eat a lot of fruit, despite being warned of the sugar content. For me, those that claim the sugar in fruit processes differently and is less harmful is definitely the case. I get hungry, I eat fruit, since I love it.

I do eat some processed foods. My office is right next door to a McDonald's I haven't set foot in, in 15 years. I pack a lunch everyday, making a sandwich with (processed) cold cuts. I get very lean cuts of meat; it's convenient, I enjoy it, and it's the much lesser of two evils.

I do some 'bad' exercises.
Such as leg extensions. They are NOT a mainstay of my leg routines. But in the summer months when Texas heat and humidity make the compound leg exercises even more exhausting, an isolation exercise like that in which I can really feel it hitting the muscle is a good alternative. I keep the weight and reps reasonable.

I also do upright rows. I get a good mind-muscle connection, and feel I've gotten results from it.

I've taken flak for all of the above. I know the science why people don't like them, but so far they work for me. If that changes, I'll change.

Nobody will ever recommend not eating fruits. Just dont binge on them.

The leg extension is a terrible exercise and it is never a good alternative for squatting. If its too hot to squat, its most likely too hot to train. Plus there's plenty more exercises you can do if you want to ***** out on squats.

Upright rows are the same, on top of not being an isolation movement, its a terrible one that pinches your rotator cuff muscle against the bone just over it, which lead to pain/inflammation/injury...

Also, you can get a pump from any movement, and a good one at that, it doesn't mean its the best move or even a good move. Training movememt rather than muscle is a mindset everybody should adopt.

Its kinda like taking cocaine, youll get an awesome high (pump?)... And then

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I do some 'bad' exercises.[/B] Such as leg extensions. They are NOT a mainstay of my leg routines. But in the summer months when Texas heat and humidity make the compound leg exercises even more exhausting, an isolation exercise like that in which I can really feel it hitting the muscle is a good alternative. I keep the weight and reps reasonable.

Me too. I do leg extensions because I feel less pressure on my knees with them than I do with squats. I don't doubt the science but they work for me. I've got a weird body so in my mind I might be the exception.

I still do squats of course.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Me too. I do leg extensions because I feel less pressure on my knees with them than I do with squats. I don't doubt the science but they work for me. I've got a weird body so in my mind I might be the exception.

I still do squats of course.

You still squat, but you feel the need to do leg extensions?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad