What is Robbie Schremp's Likely Ceiling as an NHLer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
London Knights said:
Well to be fair, Ovechkin hasn't played NA hockey yet, so while I highly doubt it, there is the slightest possibility that he becomes a bust in the NHL.

Ovechkin has played with and against NHLers at the World Championships, which no one in the draft other than Meszaros has done. He's probably the least likely player to bust in the whole draft.

pucks1

Apr 23, 2004
MePutPuckInNet said:
Well, ok....but could you be a little more vague? :D ....I agree with you on Schremp's offensive talent level and this year's draft. As a matter of fact, I personally would take Schremp over Ovechkin. Yes. I said it. You did not misread my words. On pure offensive talent alone, Schremp brings more to the table than our little Russian friend. [No arguments from the rest of the Peanut Gallery are necessary, I'm not trying to convince anyone, just stating my opinion.] However, I disagree about Schremp having a higher upside than O'Sullivan, so I was wondering what specifically you see in Schremp that makes you say that. I'm just curious, that's all...I would genuinely like to know....I'm not trying to start any Schremp bashing sessions here.
I think Schremp is the most offensively gifted player in the draft, as for overall game, im not sure.

Last edited:

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
Fleury14 said:
So if O'Sullivan (of all people) was also available in this year's draft, Ovechkin would only be good enough for the 4th overall pick, in your mind?

I'm once again reminded why I have so many ppl from HFBoards on my ignore list.

so just cuase one person doesn' tfollow the consensus "ovechkin is so great" u think he's stupid or u want to ignore him? now id ont know the full reasons for why he'sw going those people up so high, but it seems that he feels that sullivan and schremp have an offensive potential that exceeds ovechkin and malkin. ther'es nothing wrong with that because both are very skilled and if he feels that way, then that's what he feels.

i dont think ayone will argue against sulilivan and schremp having loads of offensive potential that can explode in teh next level if given the right environment. to me, the only reason why they will be picked so low is becuase it's not a guarantee, not becuase they have any less potential the ovechkin or malkin themselves.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Fleury14 said:
So if O'Sullivan (of all people) was also available in this year's draft, Ovechkin would only be good enough for the 4th overall pick, in your mind?

I'm once again reminded why I have so many ppl from HFBoards on my ignore list.

In my books the ignore list is better used for people like you who have nothing to contribute and insult other posters without any provocation than it is for people who politely state opinions that differ from the norm.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
KingPurpleDinosaur said:
so just cuase one person doesn' tfollow the consensus "ovechkin is so great" u think he's stupid or u want to ignore him? now id ont know the full reasons for why he'sw going those people up so high, but it seems that he feels that sullivan and schremp have an offensive potential that exceeds ovechkin and malkin. ther'es nothing wrong with that because both are very skilled and if he feels that way, then that's what he feels.

i dont think ayone will argue against sulilivan and schremp having loads of offensive potential that can explode in teh next level if given the right environment. to me, the only reason why they will be picked so low is becuase it's not a guarantee, not becuase they have any less potential the ovechkin or malkin themselves.

There's a difference between following a consensus and going out of your way to be different -- just incase on the off chance so-and-so does turn out to be better than more highly rated so-and-so than he looks like he knows what he's talking about.

It's the same with the premature talk already of Brule being "clearly" better than Crosby as I have seens ome posters claim. It's just foolish to rank Brule ahead of Crosby at this point.

In this case, it's apparent to me that that is all he is doing. And therefore wasting my time for when I come here once a week.

pucks1

Apr 23, 2004
Fleury14 said:
There's a difference between following a consensus and going out of your way to be different -- just incase on the off chance so-and-so does turn out to be better than more highly rated so-and-so than he looks like he knows what he's talking about.

It's the same with the premature talk already of Brule being "clearly" better than Crosby as I have seens ome posters claim. It's just foolish to rank Brule ahead of Crosby at this point.

In this case, it's apparent to me that that is all he is doing. And therefore wasting my time for when I come here once a week.
Your going to feel pretty stupid if 4 or 5 years down the road Shremp and O'sullivan have maid a bigger name for them selves than this years #1 and 2# Pics.

Louiss

Feb 28, 2002
twitter.com
an higher scoring QMJHL you said ????

Thats not true anymore

just look at Goal per game over the last 2 years in the OHL VS QMJHL and you wont see much difference

As an example there were only 2 100pts player in the QMJHL last year and it was phenom Sidney Crosby and teamate Dany Roussin...

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Louiss said:
an higher scoring QMJHL you said ????

Thats not true anymore

just look at Goal per game over the last 2 years in the OHL VS QMJHL and you wont see much difference

As an example there were only 2 100pts player in the QMJHL last year and it was phenom Sidney Crosby and teamate Dany Roussin...

Name me the last good defenseman to come out of the QMJHL.

Sorry Q fans, but it's true. Your league is really going in the wrong direction in terms of pumping out prospects. I will say this though: It is the most entertaining of the three leagues to watch. WHL can be really boring some nights.

In regards to Ovechkin busting:

This is something I really feel the need to say... the chances of prospects these days, particularly those high up, I feel, is much lower than it was even 6 or 7 years ago. Scouting has evolved in a big way in the last 10 years, and no longer do teams do alright while still drafting poorly. All the best teams in the league draft at least fairly well, most of the time very well. Because of this, scouting has become so important that so much more time and effort is put into seeing these players, particularly the top prospects.

Remember the misgivings about Daigle's work ethic and possible lacksadasical attitude about hockey in general? Those kind of players fall in the draft every year now. Schremp here is just another good example. Forget about his problems with the Ice Dogs - the guy still has an issue with his work ethic. And that is the big issue here, not asking to be traded. I myself have spoken to scouts who have said that based on his attitude about hockey alone, they will not advise their team to take him. Things like this are so important these days. I mean, look at O'Sullivan dropping last year. Had he had the commitment of, say, Dustin Brown, he'd be a concesus top 5 pick last year.

The chances of Ovechkin busting are, in my mind, almost nil. Maybe he doesn't turn into a superstar, maybe he only becomes an Oleg Kvasha (50 point two-way man), but a total bust who doesn't play in the NHL? That'd take an act of god (and I don't mean Modano here).

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada

JasonMacIsaac said:
Miz.... I think you are vastly overating this years draft crops. Last years draft was the strongest in recent memory and a guy like Schremp may have fell out of the top 20 last year. Just look at his stats compared to some players last year. Petr Vrana even blew him out of the water in terms of PPG and schremp already had a season under his belt in the CHL.

2001 was known as the deepest draft in recent history. 2003 was awesome but 2001 was incredible.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
ktownhockey said:
2001 was known as the deepest draft in recent history. 2003 was awesome but 2001 was incredible.

2001 was more of a top heavy draft then 2003. 2003 was incredibly deep. It went to 2nd, 3rd, 4th round and the quality was still amazing.

2001 was recognized at the time as a draft with an elite top 5 and a superb top 10-15. And with very solid prospects after that.

It's up to you which of the two drafts you think was the best but the deepest was certainly 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad