What is Robbie Schremp's Likely Ceiling as an NHLer?

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by TheGreek, Jun 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheGreek

TheGreek Registered User

Law School Sudent
    Home Page:
    Have read so much about him on these boards. Had a few of my own questions. Does he have the potential to be a great pro? How does he compare with the likes of a Dustin Brown, Jeff Carter, Gilbert Brule, Eric Staal, Corey Perry, Dave Bolland, Patrick O'Sullivan? What type of pro do you see him becoming? What current NHLer would you compare him with? Thanks in avance

2. Mizral

Mizral Registered User

Tech support
    Home Page:
    Probobly something similar to a Marian Gaborik or a Ziggy Palffy? He looks very similar to these Slovaks from what I've seen of him (just a small handful of games). Really flashy player with incredible skills.

He's certainly more skilled than Brown, though Brown has a lot more character to him. His upside compares well with Carters upside I'd say. #1 centreman. Flat out, he does not compare at all to Gilbert Brule... trust me on that one. His celeign is comparable to Staal's too, though Staal is a more surefire prospect. Corey Perry and Bolland aren't really comparable skill-wise, and O'Sullivan, we'll see, probobly similar skillset though Schremp I'd say has a higher upside.

3. Rabid Ranger

Rabid Ranger 2 is better than one

Contract manager
    A name that I have seen thrown about is Marc Savard, and I think that's a fair assessment although below Schremp's potential ceiling.

4. Rabid Ranger

Rabid Ranger 2 is better than one

Contract manager
    Palffy's a good comparison. Stocky, a good skater, with sick skills. That's what I see in Schremp. More of a European style player than North American IMO.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2004
  5. Vagrant

Vagrant The Czech Condor

Home Page:
    I've always like the Marc Savard comparisons for Schremp. It's not that that's a bad thing because Savard is a great talent.

6. MePutPuckInNet

MePutPuckInNet Registered User

Home Page:
    schremp

jay thompson - what specifically do you believe gives Schremp a "higher upside" than O'Sullivan?

7. Jason MacIsaac

Jason MacIsaac Registered User

NWO RCN
    Miz.... I think you are vastly overating this years draft crops. Last years draft was the strongest in recent memory and a guy like Schremp may have fell out of the top 20 last year. Just look at his stats compared to some players last year. Petr Vrana even blew him out of the water in terms of PPG and schremp already had a season under his belt in the CHL.

8. Captain Conservative

Captain Conservative Registered User

God its painful to read your posts sometimes. I just finished reading a thread where you laid into some guy with calls of "Homer" and here you are comparing Vrana(not as good a prospect as you'd like to think) to Schremp. Vrana is a year older and you failed to mention that Vrana plays in the higher scoring QMJHL. I do think that Schremp would have had trouble cracking the top 20 last year. In hindsight, the only players in the top 20 i'd take him over are Kesler and Nilsson.

9. Prucha73

Prucha73 Guest

Is Christian Dube a good comparison?

10. monster_bertuzzi

monster_bertuzzi registered user

Home Page:
    Kesler wasn't top 20...

11. MS

MS 1%er

From what I've seen of him, which isn't a great deal, he reminds me a lot of what Jeff Friesen was at the same age. Like Schremp, Friesen was a huge talent - terrific skater, great 1-on-1 skills - who was really dogged by questions about his commitment, defensive play, and conditioning, and ended up going from a consensus top-3 pick at the start of the year to falling out of the top 10 by the time the draft rolled around. In terms of size, style, and ability Schremp is very close to a young Friesen.

I say a young Friesen because Friesen's career has done a 180 since he broke into the league. In his first few years in SJ, he was one of the most exciting young players in the league - I can remember several absolute highlight reel goals - but had a rap for being soft and weak defensively. Over time, though, he's put on a lot of weight (190 to 215), a lot of the flash has disappeared, and he's become more of a prototype up-and-down winger (although still very skilled) and very solid defensive player.

12. Jason MacIsaac

NWO RCN
    God your pretty slow considering Kesler wasn't a top 20 pick and I was talking about Vrana's stats from his draft year. Do you really have a brain or do you just pretend to have one?

13. GoRyanMalone

GoRyanMalone Guest

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuurn!

14. Mizral

Mizral Registered User

Tech support
    Home Page:
    I really have no excuse to say this other than the fact that I feel Schremp is just the more skilled offensive player. Outside of Alexander Ovechkin and perhaps Evgeny Malkin (I have not seen him play much at all), Schremp to me seems like the most skilled player in the draft. Unlike several others, I look past his 'problems' and see a very good kid and a very good hockey player. As you can see on my draft preview, I have him ranked very high up on the list.

15. PMP5030

PMP5030 Registered User

I have heard the Palffy comparision more than once myself.

16. MePutPuckInNet

Home Page:
    Well, ok....but could you be a little more vague? :D ....I agree with you on Schremp's offensive talent level and this year's draft. As a matter of fact, I personally would take Schremp over Ovechkin. Yes. I said it. You did not misread my words. On pure offensive talent alone, Schremp brings more to the table than our little Russian friend. [No arguments from the rest of the Peanut Gallery are necessary, I'm not trying to convince anyone, just stating my opinion.] However, I disagree about Schremp having a higher upside than O'Sullivan, so I was wondering what specifically you see in Schremp that makes you say that. I'm just curious, that's all...I would genuinely like to know....I'm not trying to start any Schremp bashing sessions here.

17. Captain Conservative

You might want to proof-read your post before you go questioning others intelligence. :shakehead So what if I don't have who was drafted where memorized? That part of my post was re-affirming your point(that Schremp wouldn't have gone top-20 last year). Also, why didn't you respond to the point about the different leagues? Isn't the QMJHL a higher scoring league than the OHL?

p.s.-Might want to work on your insults. "Do you really have a brain or do you just pretend to have one?" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

18. Captain Conservative

So if Sully was eligible this year your top 3 would be:

1.O' Sullivan
    2.Schremp
    3.Ovechkin(or whomever...maybe karsums, or radulov?)

Just making sure I understand your point.

19. Jason MacIsaac

NWO RCN
    That is a pile of BS about the QMJHL being so much more offensive. There is a small difference but not near enough to make a difference in this argument.The point of my post was to point out that you come out running your mouth without even reading my original post. Your not worth my time.

20. MePutPuckInNet

Home Page:
    well.....uhmm,,,,,frankly i'd have Malkin ahead of Ovechkin in this year's draft.....other than that, yes, that's what i think.

21. Epsilon

Epsilon #basta

I hope you don't have any aspirations of a scouting career...

22. Fleury14

Fleury14 Remember the Kipper

Home Page:
    So if O'Sullivan (of all people) was also available in this year's draft, Ovechkin would only be good enough for the 4th overall pick, in your mind?

I'm once again reminded why I have so many ppl from HFBoards on my ignore list.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2004
  23. markov`

markov` Registered User

Home Page:
    What a scout this guy is :lol:

24. London Knights

London Knights Registered User

Well to be fair, Ovechkin hasn't played NA hockey yet, so while I highly doubt it, there is the slightest possibility that he becomes a bust in the NHL.

25. EroCaps

EroCaps Registered User

Isn't that redundant? Any player could bust.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.