What is reasonable to protect a teammate?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Depends, each situation is nuanced. A little poke while the puck isn't quite covered shouldn't garner much reaction other than maybe a little push out of the crease. But if a player hacks a goalies pad or glove while it's clearly covered, it might garner a cross check or harder push that could escalate into a shoving match or fight.

If someone's hacking my goalie with a covered puck, I'd definitely want a reaction to let the player know that that won't fly.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
If the opponent does something reckless to your goaltender, the ref will call a penalty

I see no value in retaliating so that you end up in the penalty box as well

Furthermore, goaltenders are covered head to toe in protective equipment, so these little whacks are almost never going to cause any actual harm

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
If the opponent does something reckless to your goaltender, the ref will call a penalty

I see no value in retaliating so that you end up in the penalty box as well

Furthermore, goaltenders are covered head to toe in protective equipment, so these little whacks are almost never going to cause any actual harm
A slash to the goalie's glove is almost never penalized. If as a coach do you deem it appropriate to have no response? That is the question.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
A slash to the goalie's glove is almost never penalized. If as a coach do you deem it appropriate to have no response? That is the question.

A slash to the goalie's glove is almost never harmful either. Yes, if I were a coach, I would expect my players not to seek retribution

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Depends, each situation is nuanced. A little poke while the puck isn't quite covered shouldn't garner much reaction other than maybe a little push out of the crease. But if a player hacks a goalies pad or glove while it's clearly covered, it might garner a cross check or harder push that could escalate into a shoving match or fight.

If someone's hacking my goalie with a covered puck, I'd definitely want a reaction to let the player know that that won't fly.
I think there's also a "repeat offender" component. Some of those pokes end up riding somewhere other than the glove or can still catch a goalie somewhere he can feel it. Normally a first time offender could just expect some words or a little push. But there's usually a guy on each team who will make a point of poking on every whistle. Sometimes with enough of a delay that you just know he's consciously taking liberties. That guy needs a harsher response.

The refs will almost never call anything, so yes, as a coach I think the standing order should basically be "nobody touches our goalie"... that mindset just inspires a tougher attitude around the net in general, keeping guys wary of coming into the crease area is a good policy just in general.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I think there's also a "repeat offender" component. Some of those pokes end up riding somewhere other than the glove or can still catch a goalie somewhere he can feel it. Normally a first time offender could just expect some words or a little push. But there's usually a guy on each team who will make a point of poking on every whistle. Sometimes with enough of a delay that you just know he's consciously taking liberties. That guy needs a harsher response.

The refs will almost never call anything, so yes, as a coach I think the standing order should basically be "nobody touches our goalie"... that mindset just inspires a tougher attitude around the net in general, keeping guys wary of coming into the crease area is a good policy just in general.
This is similar to my philosophy. I am not a "crosscheck a guy in the face" for a little poke, but you should at least let the guy know he is crossing the line. Because they will keep doing it. On the third time, maybe the ref will warn them. I wouldn't want them to get that far.

Reactions: NNCbama

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
I turned into a Hanson when someone touched my goalie. Let them know early and often, that touching the goalie will not be tolerated.

Never had a goalie, coach or teammate complain if it resulted in a penalty, either.

Reactions: NNCbama

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I turned into a Hanson when someone touched my goalie. Let them know early and often, that touching the goalie will not be tolerated.

Never had a goalie, coach or teammate complain if it resulted in a penalty, either.
Which is why I brought it up. A couple of decent level coaches have expressed they don't like their players to get penalties in this situation.

Newt91

Feb 8, 2019
If it's just a light jab, push the guy out of the crease and mouth off a little. If more than a poke, take a penalty and send a message.

Reactions: NNCbama and jw2

Hattrickkane88

Apr 11, 2019
I don’t know why everyone in here thinks getting retribution has to come with a penalty..

You can tell your team to start dumping it and rushing their defenders hard every play and eventually someone will get caught lacking for a big hit.
You can also tell them to work it to the point and blast slappers every single possession.

Two good solutions without needing any penalties.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
1) If it's not too serious just push him outta the crease and jaw a bit- let him know it isn't cool, won't be tolerated, make sure the refs hear it.
2) If it's egregious take the 2 minutes because he'll almost definitely take 2 as well- guys are usually very defensive and ready to scrap after a more serious infraction. Every now and then a guy will feign innocence, in which case I try to stop just short of a penalty- let the refs see who you're mad at and make it clear why. He does it again and he'll (hopefully) take 2 without you doing anything.

I also don't think this sorta thing is really about protecting the goalie, I think it's about not allowing the other team extra scoring chances. I just haven't seen any chops hard enough to hurt a goalie- not saying it doesn't happen, but that'd be a serious chop and that just usually doesn't occur. Running a goalie is a different matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad