what is Milan Michalek's potential?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fedorov_jr

May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
i just dealt pascal leclaire for him (i plan on drafting either schwarz or montoya in the upcoming draft and believe they will have a brighter future) and would like to know what michalek's top end potential is? i heard comparisons to jere lehtinen, and others to bobby holik.... some people believe he's ready to contribute now, but i dont know if thats realistic or not.....

any opinions?

thanx

X-SHARKIE

Sharks fan alert.

To be fair though, I did want the Sharks to draft Michalek before he ever was Sharks property.

I think Michalek well put in 60-80 points when it's said and done. He's got more skill then people give him credit for, his shot is very good, and he was shooting the puck much more this year, so I don't see him just a playmaker any more, he's a complete offesnive threat, expecially with him going to the net harder and he's taking hits to make a play (why he got injured by Gauthier)
Michaleks strengths are physical and mental maturity, He bulked up considerbly this summer, and in the weight room while rehabing, he's listed at 6-2 220 now. About Patrick Marleau's size. His skating is very impressive, expecially his explosive acceleration, he might not have the extra jet like Marleau and Sturm but he's a very very good skater. Very strong on the puck. Great shot, wrist shot and backhands are some of the best in his age group. His hands, Mike Ricci was quoted as saying "He can stick handle in a phone booth". He was the talk of San Jose in training camp and everyone was very impressed with him. He scored a goal in a 5-2 loss, his first game, vs Edmonton. He also scored 2 goals and added two assist in Cleveland in 7 games before reinjuring him self. He also showed more of a physical edge this year with 4 PIM in 2 games in the NHL and 4 in 7 games in the AHL.
IMO Michalek is a very safe prospect, with very good upside.

Here is a link that shows what kind of skill this guy has, and keep in mind he's doing this vs a top 2 defensman and a starting goalie who is a very good NHL goaltender.
http://www.sj-sharks.com/sharks2002/interactive/play_of_the_game/potg_20031004.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad