What is Jake Gardiner??

what is Jake Gardiner?

• Total voters

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
I don't completely agree here, it depends how long he's been holding onto the puck. If he's had time to think a play through before the pressure comes, he's going to give the puck away. If he just got the puck and there's already a forechecker on him, it's some ridiculous spin move and he's already gained the zone effortlessly.

I think that's why he steps it up in the playoffs, the pace is higher and there's no time to think.

Great instincts, terrible planning.

Yes, I've certainly noticed him mess up when he has too much time, especially when the play comes to a stand still when both teams are making line changes. He'll wait with the puck in the defensive zone and like you said, it's as though he overthinks things and it goes terribly wrong. Sometimes its partly the fault of his forward teammates, who are almost at the other team's blue line and he tries to force a crazy long stretch pass. Overall, I think he is still fairly decent at making those passes, if his receiving teammate is positioned well.

And I certainly notice he can make quick plays when under pressure too, but the mistakes are still there and those are the ones that get your team in a heap of trouble and can completely overshadow an otherwise good game. It's like a pitcher in baseball who has a great start, except for the one fat hanging curveball that ended up getting drilled for a three-run homer. Sometimes when he is under pressure he will end up completely out of position, gets caught running around, and if he gets the puck he'll hurry a play up the ice that gets intercepted. The most recent example I can think of would be on Feb 17th in Pittsburgh, when he delivered a hot fresh pizza in the air right at Malkin who was almost in the slot, who caught the puck, and the Penguins ended up scoring fairly easily.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
He is a top end second pairing guy that can do spot duty on a top pairing.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Point wise...

15/16 - #47
16/17 - #17
17/18 - #12
3 YEAR AVERAGE = #25

This is not including players tied, just as is on the NHL website. There are 31 #1 defenders in the league if you want to just count it like that, as though each team has one. There are 62 first pairing players in the league. 124 top 4 players... For point getting AND KEEPING POSITIVE ADV. STATS and +/-, how the heck is the guy putting up top 30 points not a #2 at the very least?

I await the explain away(s)

I just want to add that when Morgan gets injured his stats on multiple occasion improved! He did not struggle, he got notably better.

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If he could play with a solid defensive d like a hainsey. Tanev. Hjalmarsson. Dehaan he would be fine on a 6 mill contract.

It’s that he might want 7-8. In which case I go for Carlson

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Point wise...

15/16 - #47
16/17 - #17
17/18 - #12
3 YEAR AVERAGE = #25

This is not including players tied, just as is on the NHL website. There are 31 #1 defenders in the league if you want to just count it like that, as though each team has one. There are 62 first pairing players in the league. 124 top 4 players... For point getting AND KEEPING POSITIVE ADV. STATS and +/-, how the heck is the guy putting up top 30 points not a #2 at the very least?

I await the explain away(s)

I just want to add that when Morgan gets injured his stats on multiple occasion improved! He did not struggle, he got notably better.
They won't bother cause they have no real argument except some eye test bullcrap. People who don't like Gardiner don't like adv stats or even stats. They prefer the eye test and old school methods. Luckily more and more people are seeing the light and realizing that Gardiner is really good and a top 2 defenceman on a stanley cup contender. Its funny people consider him sheltered when he excelled as a #1 with Rielly out. That was the excuse last year and this year he faces tough competition and succeeds. Whats the next excuse?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
if we can get in on a doughty or Karlson or even Carlson. See ya Jake. But say we could make it work with a tanev next year.

Rielly. Tanev
Gard. Hainsey
Dermott Zaitsev

That would be solid.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
An exceptionally talented defesemen who's propensity for offensive creativity is mirrored equally by his propensity for the most boneheaded plays you'll ever see.

pengdeng12

Feb 13, 2018
people who think Gardiner is not top 4 dman don't know hockey for sht.

When some says that I just question their hockey knowledge (likely to be very limited)

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
His numbers suggest he’s got #2 D man capabilitites but he also seems to thrive when he’s facing second tier competition.

I’d say he’s a high-end #3 guy most of the time and is a top pairing level hen he’s hot.

Reactions: weems

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Voted #2D

His skating and passing (vision) are very good. He has the potential to be an elite 2D.

If he take away the stupid stretch passes that sometimes result in giveaways and sometimes in goals for; IMO h has been pretty good.

Sometimes Babs uses Gards-Zaitsev instead of Reilly-Hainsey against top competition and Gards has done relatively well.

If he can add a bit of mean side to his game he would become an elite D

I wouldn’t mind signing Gards to an extension if cap and term were reasonable

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
He is a lot better without the Zaitsev anchor. That guy better figure his crap out fast because he is just horrible bad. Not Polak bad, it's an exaggeration but he should be playing our 3rd pairing the way he is.

Don’t give Babs any ideas or else it would be

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Polak
Dermott Zaitsev

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
If he's a #2, it's not on a team with any success.....

oh, look at that :p

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
His best performances seem to always come when he has a real steady partner playing well next to him. That probably makes him a #4.

His best performances this season were when he was with Reliable Ron. He's struggled since Zaitsev came back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad