What is Jake Gardiner??

what is Jake Gardiner?

• Total voters

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Whatever he is, he was plain awful tonight. Couldn't defend or create that much....but now that Ive said that, he's gonna go out and dominate against Dallas. Thats our Jake.

IamruKusleaf

Mar 3, 2018
Maple Leaf Gardens
Doctor Jackeyl Mr. Shnyde !

And that’s on every shift !

He’s like Bits and Bites
Put a hand in get a handful and you never know what you will get out ?
Brutal game from him tonight and no points as well to top it off !

I’d be ok with him on the last pairing and move up Dermott, who by the way had poise and confidence agsin
Great game from him and Reilly and Polak and ok games from Carrick and sub par from Hainsey again .

Last edited:

IamruKusleaf

Mar 3, 2018
Maple Leaf Gardens
Lmaooo why we're laughing is you're comparing a #2-3 dman to legends to #1 dmen
Kool comment once again !
I respect your opinion
Im still compelled to stick to my initial calls and overall assessment of Mr. Gardiner .
We must think of trading him in a package of some sort to acquire a more stable , defensively aware , stronger willed , mean streaked , all round # 2 or 3 or 4 solid DMan
We would be a better team , overall

Sorry Bra
ruKus again calls it like I sees it even tho u sees it differently !

GOOO F€£¥in LEAFS GOOO
Bra ha ha ha ha ha a ha ha s hee hee

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Gardiner outplayed every defenseman in the playoffs series last year including Carlson. Gardiner is seriously underrated.

gardiner didn't really show up for games 5 and 6 after Ovie blew him out of his skates in game 4, the real loss for the Leafs was Polak who'd been playing his best hockey of the season

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
gardiner didn't really show up for games 5 and 6 after Ovie blew him out of his skates in game 4, the real loss for the Leafs was Polak who'd been playing his best hockey of the season
He was solid on games 5 and 6, playing big minutes with a depleted D-core where Babcock inexplicably wanted to play Marincin (who was awful) more than Carrick.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
he’s a #2 offensively but a #5 defensively. All in all I’d say a #3.

This is not a thing. #1 means top 31 in the NHL. Jake is that, he is almost top 10. He has never been worse than a#3 since entering the NHL.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
FJ-Results-9-14-17.jpg

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
What about Gardiner via eye test frustrates y'all more than any other D-Man on the team? With my eyes, him Rielly and Dermott are the only ones with any idea on what to do with the puck. I see him being the only defenseman on the team other than Hainsey that steps up in D-Zone to the line to attempt to prevent an entry. He continuously has his stick lined with shooting angle of opposition and uses his body to mirror movement better than anybody on the team. He makes the right reads and is the best passer out of our D-Men. Some of you guys think he sucks because he has the odd eyeball turnover (which does happen occasionally but literally forget everything he does. It's called availability bias. Availability bias hits all human beings, in which we create shortcuts on opinions and ideas of someone or something using the most recent event we can recall that was flashy or easily memorized. It is easy to focus on a turnover that led to a goal once every 10-15 games and then generate an opinion on the player. You guys don't want to believe stats, and you guys don't want to believe your own eyes for 99% of event and for that I do not know why. I can tell you, Gardiner is easily a bonafide top 4, and is probably a very solid top pairing D-Man (which is backed up by stats and a majority of eye test of hockey pundits)

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
What about Gardiner via eye test frustrates y'all more than any other D-Man on the team? With my eyes, him Rielly and Dermott are the only ones with any idea on what to do with the puck. I see him being the only defenseman on the team other than Hainsey that steps up in D-Zone to the line to attempt to prevent an entry. He continuously has his stick lined with shooting angle of opposition and uses his body to mirror movement better than anybody on the team. He makes the right reads and is the best passer out of our D-Men. Some of you guys think he sucks because he has the odd eyeball turnover (which does happen occasionally but literally forget everything he does. It's called availability bias. Availability bias hits all human beings, in which we create shortcuts on opinions and ideas of someone or something using the most recent event we can recall that was flashy or easily memorized. It is easy to focus on a turnover that led to a goal once every 10-15 games and then generate an opinion on the player. You guys don't want to believe stats, and you guys don't want to believe your own eyes for 99% of event and for that I do not know why. I can tell you, Gardiner is easily a bonafide top 4, and is probably a very solid top pairing D-Man (which is backed up by stats and a majority of eye test of hockey pundits)

That's a bullseye.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I feel bad cause this made me lol. But it is pretty accurate.
It's not, really. There are so many areas of the game where Gardiner shows off terrific hockey iq. His vision in the offensive zone is terrific, and despite what people say, there's probably not a d-man on this team that has more smart solutions to forechecking problems in his own zone than Gardiner. Just watch how many times he manages to make a simple but well-calculated play to get the puck to someone who can move it out. Those are things that count too. It's not all about error rate.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
That'll make for an interesting season up to that point.
I find it funny how many leaf fans think it wouldn't drastically hurt the team to loose their number 1 ice time player at even strength, best powerplay defender and 2nd in total ice time player on the team (4 seconds behind Zaitsev).

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
If he is traded it would be in the off-season as part of an overhaul of the blue line, likely because the Leafs feel Dermott is ready and/or they've acquired a better defender via trade/free agency.

Otherwise he won't be moved at next year's deadline unless the Leafs are outside of the playoffs.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
I find it funny how many leaf fans think it wouldn't drastically hurt the team to loose their number 1 ice time player at even strength, best powerplay defender and 2nd in total ice time player on the team (4 seconds behind Zaitsev).

I have no issues with Gardiner. I think he is a good dman. but the reality is the Leafs will move on from him. At $4M he is fine. Once we take more than $5M than more is expected and he wont be able to deliver.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I have no issues with Gardiner. I think he is a good dman. but the reality is the Leafs will move on from him. At $4M he is fine. Once we take more than $5M than more is expected and he wont be able to deliver.
How many defenders put up the points that he does as well as the tough QoC, ice time and possession stats while getting paid less than 5 million? Excluding ELC defenders of course.

He is going to get paid more than 5 million and if he was willing to take 5 million AAV I would lock him up long term without hesitation

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I hope we lock him up and I'm willing to pay a fair price to do so (4M won't do it). No more own rentals though please, if they can't or won't sign him than please trade him.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
what is Jake Gardiner? A UFA next offseason and a player that will get traded at the deadline.
no way he gets traded at the deadline. the team will be competing next season. he will either be re-signed or leave as a ufa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->