What is Jack Hughes upside?

Discussion in 'Detroit Red Wings' started by WingNut, Jan 26, 2019.

1. lilidk

lilidk Registered User

He is going to be better than Kane, different time , but everybody else playing hockey this days faster than 10years ago

2. Howard35

Howard35 Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    id probably pump the brakes on that analysis bud.

i would strongly think about everything from pts to achievements that Kane has gotten and think about it.

Now, if you say this will hold true and we draft him.. that would mean we're going to get 3+ more cups. to which i would gladly accept.

3. The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era RIP Fugu

You just listed team accomplishments to describe Kane for some of this... I have sort of a problem with that even if along with Keith he was the most important player to those accomplishments in my opinion.

Now will he produce more offense, win an MVP (somewhat team related as McDavid was easily the best player last year) and prove to be that electric in terms of entertainment value is the question. He is more advanced than Kane at this same stage in those departments and plays the traditionally more important position of center still. So to date he is on track to pass Kane, now what happens with the lottery balls is going to play a massive factor in the cup outlook.

Connor McDavid is the best player I have seen since Gretzky and Super Mario, now he isn't likely to be adding cups to his resume any time soon because he is a part of a dumpster fire in Edmonton. I mean if Kane winds up where the actual #1 player in central scouting did in his draft year in Turris, do we honestly think he has won a cup?

RabidBadger likes this.
  4. cheesehead9099

cheesehead9099 Registered User

Jack Hughes is not Patrick Kane IMO. Saying he'll surpass Kane means he'll be the best player in the NHL because Kane at his prime was pretty close to that. Even now the guy is 2nd in the league for points and is single-handedly willing the Hawks out of a lottery spot.

5. newfy

newfy Registered User

I wouldnt call the MVP that team related. Sure, your team generally has to make the playoffs to win it but I wouldnt be surprised if Kanes team missedplayoffs they year he won it and they still gave it to him. A lot of people dont realize (not saying you specifically TZE) that Kane has the most dominant Art Ross win in the last 20 years and won the scoring title by 17(!!!) points. Its not really comparable to McDavid not winning it last year with a 6 point lead.

For the people saying Hughes will be better than Kane, I would definitely say pump the brakes. He has the potential to be that kind of player for sure with top 5 scoring finishes but Kane has a ridiculously dominant art ross/hart trophy showing, a Conn SMythe, and an absolutely ridiculous playoff record. Kane is extremely clutch and has scored a tonne of big goals. Hughes has the potential to be that top 5-10 in the league points guy for sure but predicting he'll be better than Kane means youre talking about a multiple Hart trophy winner and Art Ross winner with awesome playoff showings..

6. jkutswings

jkutswings WTB defense

There's only one definitive way to settle this.

Let's draft Hughes already and find out exactly where he ends up in the pantheon of NHL history.

RabidBadger likes this.
  7. RabidBadger

RabidBadger Babcock swallows

The real answer is, "likely better than anyone we have now". I'd love to see him in Motown.

8. JustJokinenAround

JustJokinenAround just get the puck out

eichel is better than hughes and that will more than likely prove itself true. he is a better version of clayton keller maybe the best comparison would be matt duchene. can drive a line offensively and they both can fly