What is goalie interference?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The problem with challenging goalie interference is that it's not the "war room" that makes the final call. It's the ref that made the initial call that looks at the replay and decides if he's right or wrong on the call. So, if he wants to be a *****e, he will stand by his initial call no matter what he sees.

Problem is that every ref has a different opinion and as such you can never get consistency. The NHL needs a 3rd party panel to review all challenges. Pretty simple but the league is too stupid to use common sense and figure it out. Heck given the chance I bet they might even be stupid enough to put a team in Phoenix, Atlanta, Raleigh, and Miami rather than a Canadian city like Quebec City or Hamilton. Oh wait ... they did that didn't they?

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
NHL wants more scoring.

Shrink the goalie pads. If guys used to take pucks in the face admittedly at slower speeds, but still. . Shrink the pads to compensate for all the goals called back.

Reactions: Polaris1010

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Problem is that every ref has a different opinion and as such you can never get consistency. The NHL needs a 3rd party panel to review all challenges. Pretty simple but the league is too stupid to use common sense and figure it out. Heck given the chance I bet they might even be stupid enough to put a team in Phoenix, Atlanta, Raleigh, and Miami rather than a Canadian city like Quebec City or Hamilton. Oh wait ... they did that didn't they?
It's even worse when the ref originally calls it a goal and changes his mind to waive off the goal, like we saw on Monday with Matthews.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'm at the point now where I feel about as confident in the immediate call as I am in their call after a prolonged review. The value of having reviews is in improving accuracy of the calls, and based just on recollection of the ones I've seen this season, my impression is that they don't. Before the review, they go with gut and experience based on limited information. With review, they improve the amount of available information but replace that gut feeling with technicalities.

If I was in charge, I'd honestly scrap the whole challenge thing, have the team in Toronto review goals, and have them in charge of verdict rather than referees. Stop screwing around with technicalities, and put the same people in charge of all calls, so that we can get some consistency.

Last edited:

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It's even worse when the ref originally calls it a goal and changes his mind to waive off the goal, like we saw on Monday with Matthews.

Actually I am OK with a ref correcting a mistake. Most are more likely not to admit a mistake. After all they don't have to stand up after the game and explain themselves. The league took away their names from their backs so most have no clue who these clowns are.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
NHL wants more scoring.

Shrink the goalie pads. If guys used to take pucks in the face admittedly at slower speeds, but still. . Shrink the pads to compensate for all the goals called back.

Or get into the 2000s and realise that goalies are twice as big as they were in the 1900s and increase the size of the nets.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Actually I am OK with a ref correcting a mistake. Most are more likely not to admit a mistake. After all they don't have to stand up after the game and explain themselves. The league took away their names from their backs so most have no clue who these clowns are.
The problem is on a judgement call like that where other people like Martin Biron who is a former NHL goalie himself said that Matthews goal should count, you know it will only cause more problems. I can't remember if I heard this on Leafs Lunch or Hockey Central at Noon today, but they said the safer call is going with the original call on the ice. On Monday Matthews was given a goal and the ref should have allowed it to stand.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
EE1442AC-92AE-459E-9928-EEEF3FB7B6FF.jpeg

61CE8774-58E7-4D31-98D6-8891874869D5.jpeg

Andersen taking a knee.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad