What is AA Trade Value

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Based on drafting data you have basically no chance of finding a player like AA outside of the 1st round.

To me that says give me a 1st rounder. I know that's not how it works but that's how I personally evaluate his value. A single digit chance of finding him with any pick outside the 1st round = I pass on any pick outside the 1st round. He's only 23. I get very little value out of "resetting" the pick and trying to take another chance at a high end player. He's more likely to improve than regress. Why wouldn't I hang onto him unless I get something at least close to equal probable value. I'd take a legit middle pairing d-man as well. But these are my judgments of value and you can tell from trades made around the league that that isn't exactly how GMs are gauging trade value. (which I think is a little silly but whatever)

Probably a low 2nd to 4 range pick? A #4/5 d-man?

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I think he's worth a second, or a similar young player with issues.

A 2nd or a 2nd + prospect won't motivate Detroit, nor should it.

We have control of this guy so any trade has to be worth it and, I'm sorry, but a 2nd isn't close to worth it.

Teams need to bring a 1st or a similar dman with upside if they are serious

Last edited:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
With him going to the media recently and his track record of issues, and not taking a step forward this year? Its not much, but, I doubt it will ever be much. In the end they will either package him with a pick or another player for something worthwhile or he's going to walk the first chance he gets.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Watching Detroit screw this up, it's hard not to root for spectacular failure from the Holland-Blashill "braintrust."

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
With him going to the media recently and his track record of issues, and not taking a step forward this year? Its not much, but, I doubt it will ever be much. In the end they will either package him with a pick or another player for something worthwhile or he's going to walk the first chance he gets.

Going to the media?
He sat down with Art Regner - an employee of the Red Wings. And Regner baited him and baited him, and still, you had to listen to a 45 minute podcast just to get 3-4 comments that sound like complaints.

I think AA is going to hold out again. And I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to the KHL,
He's definitely frustrated with his role in the organization and with Blashill as coach, the only way AA gets a regular job in Detroit's top six is if there are lot of injuries.
Even then, I wouldn't be surprised if AA slips even further on Blashill's depth chart next year if Ras and Svech are on the roster.

Reactions: 21 Savage

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
He is untradeable though, yeah?
If he holds out, he won't have a contract and I imagine it is super hard to trade a RFA w.o a contract in place, especially one with AA's attitude

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
What is AA trade value today ?

Straight up for a pick or prospect.

What should be expected if combined with Detroit's #36 pick?

I would put AA's Value as a 2nd/3rd line tweener in actual production.
With potential to be a solid 2nd liner.

Ryan Hartman as a rental got a 1st round pick.

I think AA is worth a mid/late first.

AA + our 28th pick i think could be a good move to go to Edmonton for their 9th.

they need a fast winger for McDavid
they have pressure to be good now
they wouldnt mind a cost controlled option and gamble at high upside with AA.

So I could see that as being a serious option for them.

Reactions: DetroitRed

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I would put AA's Value as a 2nd/3rd line tweener in actual production.
With potential to be a solid 2nd liner.

Ryan Hartman as a rental got a 1st round pick.

I think AA is worth a mid/late first.

AA + our 28th pick i think could be a good move to go to Edmonton for their 9th.

they need a fast winger for McDavid
they have pressure to be good now
they wouldnt mind a cost controlled option and gamble at high upside with AA.

So I could see that as being a serious option for them.

Edmonton isn't trading out of the top 10 for AA and a late first.
Why do fans spend all year bitching about a player and then think that somehow, trading him, will bring a bounty?

Reactions: 21 Savage

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
A 2nd or a 2nd + prospect won't motivate Detroit, nor should it.

We have control of this guy so any trade has to be worth it and, I'm sorry, but a 2nd isn't close to worth it.

Teams need to bring a 1st or a similar dman with upside if they are serious
A similar D would be a young guy with some issues, though. That's what Athanasiou is. He has a lot of upside, sure, but he's got issues that are going to turn teams off. If a guy like Trouba had refused to sign entirely and sat on the sidelines or something for a few months...that sort of guy. We're not going to get a guy with top3D upside who doesn't have issues and who isn't 35, though. And while we'd probably have a hard time replacing Athanasiou's production with a second rounder, other teams are looking at Athanasiou and wondering if they'll get a guy who'll even show up half the time.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Hate much?
AA didn't turn the franchise into a sad sack organization.

Holland and Blashill did.

Yea, I'm the one overflowing with bitterness and hate.
Such is the circle of life and the natural cycle of team sports. Sorry, but 20 years as an elite team was nice, but we were never going to stay at the top of that circle forever. Or maybe we would have if Holland and Blashill had never darkened our doorstep.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
he is worth mid 1st rounder . He brings energy to this team and i don't wont him to go anywhere unless we can trade him for very good defenseman prospect . I wonder if Nashville has a good one . AA is NHL player and he will be good one , only 23 years old

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Going to the media?
He sat down with Art Regner - an employee of the Red Wings. And Regner baited him and baited him, and still, you had to listen to a 45 minute podcast just to get 3-4 comments that sound like complaints.

I think AA is going to hold out again. And I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to the KHL,
He's definitely frustrated with his role in the organization and with Blashill as coach, the only way AA gets a regular job in Detroit's top six is if there are lot of injuries.
Even then, I wouldn't be surprised if AA slips even further on Blashill's depth chart next year if Ras and Svech are on the roster.

He can't hold out, arbitration will ensure he gets a contract. What he will do is fail to report after accepting a KHL contract. But the second he returns to the NHL he will have to play on the awarded contract, with Detroit. And if he plays games like that, damn straight he will slip down the depth chart, a one dimensional, lazy winger who has attitude problems isn't the best way to win top 6 minutes.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
A similar D would be a young guy with some issues, though. That's what Athanasiou is. He has a lot of upside, sure, but he's got issues that are going to turn teams off. If a guy like Trouba had refused to sign entirely and sat on the sidelines or something for a few months...that sort of guy. We're not going to get a guy with top3D upside who doesn't have issues and who isn't 35, though. And while we'd probably have a hard time replacing Athanasiou's production with a second rounder, other teams are looking at Athanasiou and wondering if they'll get a guy who'll even show up half the time.

I agree on that side of things for sure. I'm just saying lets avoid trading AA for the sake of making a trade. We have to view it as a net positive otherwise I'd rather just keep him.

It's the trade proposals based around a 2nd rounder that really make me cringe.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Edmonton isn't trading out of the top 10 for AA and a late first.
Why do fans spend all year *****ing about a player and then think that somehow, trading him, will bring a bounty?

to be honest, I would trade AA and our 2nd for anything I could get in the 1st.

Whatever you think is an insultingly low offer for AA, id probably take it.

Also I don't bitch about AA, i simply say hes not our "best player" which is what you claim pretty much every day.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
he is worth mid 1st rounder . He brings energy to this team and i don't wont him to go anywhere unless we can trade him for very good defenseman prospect . I wonder if Nashville has a good one . AA is NHL player and he will be good one , only 23 years old

Dante Fabbro

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I agree on that side of things for sure. I'm just saying lets avoid trading AA for the sake of making a trade. We have to view it as a net positive otherwise I'd rather just keep him.

It's the trade proposals based around a 2nd rounder that really make me cringe.

Agreed, moving AA for the 45th OA pick... would be dumb.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I agree with your assessment of him as a player but I think the valuation of him by other teams, even if you're right in how they'd do it, is silly.

Even with all his attitude problems, he is a remarkably productive player relative to the rest of the league. You don't even have to go to P/60 to see it. Just pure PPG he's a very productive player. He was last season too, without much PP time. And whether or not it was driven by his work ethic, coaching, a lack of trust, whatever, his IT was 15.18 per game for 9th most out of out of 13 regular forwards.

Good production with limited minutes, young, decent size, insane speed, good upside. That's already what you know you're getting for sure. GMs who shy away because of his attitude are either afraid he's locker room poison, which I think is hilarious, or they want to bank on his upside which absolutely won't be reached unless he has a good attitude. But if he reaches his upside he's a star so stop being so scared. Even if his attitude problems persist, he's a very good player already.

By the way, were you saying that Trouba + attitude issues = fair return for a guy like AA? Because damn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad