What I'm seeing lately that I think is hurting Leafs offense...

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
You dont make any sense. Like players can never do any wrong, maybe Mathews is just playing bad?... If I did a **** job at work I'm not gonna blame my co-worker and then my boss for pairing me with that co-worker, I'm gonna chalk it up to me sucking at my job for that day. My boss doesnt change my co-worker every 2 weeks... Doesnt make sense.. Chemistry can be a factor but c'mon man you are overrating it way tooo much. Its hockey if he is playing good he will play good, if he is playing bad he will play bad

Lol at trying to compare your day job to the NHL, but I'll play along.

1. Is it not managements responsibility to put their employees in the best position to succeed? Is that not management 101?

2. When an entire company has a bad quarter and the stock price drops, do we blame the regional manager of one division (the best player in our forward group) or do we look at the management of the whole organization (the coach of the whole team playing like dog shit most nights)?

You can blame every individual player for playing poorly if you want, but the talent is there it's the coaches job to make the most of it. I'm so tired of all the excuses that get made for Babcock. Look at what Trotz is doing with the islanders or what Julien is doing with the Habs. Both are vastly inferior rosters that are basically right there with us in the standings.

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.
So do you think putting Brown with Matthews is gonna help Matthews play better and be more productive?
When you are disgusted with Nylander's lack of intensity and engagement and you want to send him a message, just who exactly would you swap him out for? I doubt swapping him for Goat would work or even send the right message as the Goat's intensity is suspect as well..

BlueStorm

Aug 14, 2010
Halifax
IMO, they aren't tough enough. They are getting pushed to the sides and end up taking desperate shots from bad angles. Matthews is weak, he gets pushed off the puck and then sulks away after getting hit. He has been getting double teamed a lot and the other two forwards watch from a distance and they lose the puck. I wouldn't be surprised if he's hurt again or afraid of getting hurt. He can't get to a good scoring position and is losing the battles on the boards. Giveaways are ridiculous. Boston played a crappy game 2 weeks ago and beat the Leafs on home ice.
Marner and Tavares are half the team now. Even if Matthews shows up before the playoffs this team is getting killed by Boston in 5. They won't win in the playoffs with this roster.
Pay Marner his money, he's earning it. Start trading others who aren't.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
When you are disgusted with Nylander's lack of intensity and engagement and you want to send him a message, just who exactly would you swap him out for? I doubt swapping him for Goat would work or even send the right message as the Goat's intensity is suspect as well..
You're telling me you cant be more creative than that? Moving Connor Brown to the top 6 isnt something that should ever be done. You can send Nylander to the 4th line without moving a 4th liner to the top 6.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
So do you think putting Brown with Matthews is gonna help Matthews play better and be more productive?
Nope, I think Mathews is gonna help Mathews play better and be more productive. You cant toss Marner to every struggling player on the leafs.

Reactions: The Apologist

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
What's hurting them right now is lack of effort.
They're being outworked most games. When they aren't, (TBay, Boston) they're fine. Mail it in like last night or against Colorado, it's terrible.

Reactions: ULF_55

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Lol at trying to compare your day job to the NHL, but I'll play along.

1. Is it not managements responsibility to put their employees in the best position to succeed? Is that not management 101?

2. When an entire company has a bad quarter and the stock price drops, do we blame the regional manager of one division (the best player in our forward group) or do we look at the management of the whole organization (the coach of the whole team playing like dog **** most nights)?

You can blame every individual player for playing poorly if you want, but the talent is there it's the coaches job to make the most of it. I'm so tired of all the excuses that get made for Babcock. Look at what Trotz is doing with the islanders or what Julien is doing with the Habs. Both are vastly inferior rosters that are basically right there with us in the standings.
You'd want Trotz and Julien fired too when the Capitals and Bruins had great teams yet shit the bed at times during the season before winning the stanley cup. Its ironic how you are tired of the excuses people make for babcock yet you are saying he is the sole reason of mathews and nylander playing bad.

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.
You're telling me you cant be more creative than that? Moving Connor Brown to the top 6 isnt something that should ever be done. You can send Nylander to the 4th line without moving a 4th liner to the top 6.
It was extremely creative. Matthews began his career with Hyman and Brown as his wingers and found enough success to win the Calder. Later in the year Nylander replaced Brown and was an improvement. Nylander on Matthews wing this year has been a downgrade. The message to Nyander Babs sent could not have been clearer..."you replaced Brown because you showed hustle like Brown but also displayed more skill...if you are going to give me neither then I will play Brown there because at least he can model for Matthews some hustle and some determination and maybe some of it will rub off on him." If Nylander can't understand this message,his next position will be bench warmer in the pressbox and Moore will be called up.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Where are the advanced stats that measure aggression, forecheck and the will to engage in puck battles.

Or the stats that indicate when it gets hard out there the players that will have an Xbox controller disconnect?
advanced stats are utterly and completely worthless

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I don't think there's a rhyme or a reason to it. Nylander's got great scoring chance numbers and an abysmal shooting %. Same with Kadri. Matthews has gone ice cold. That's 3/5 of our best offensive weapons. I don't think Babcock is managing it well, which compounds the situation. Add it up and you've got what we have today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad