What I'm seeing lately that I think is hurting Leafs offense...

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Just an observation, no science behind it. I'm seeing them rely on more shots from the point, often with little to no traffic in front. Earlier in the year they were making quick, short passes, or, carrying it in deep on the rush. Both approaches made it difficult to defend against, especially with their speed and quickness. I also notice this on the PP where they are not relying on work down low as often as they did earlier in the season.

I can only guess (if my observation is accurate), that they are adapting to changes other teams are making, but unless they are selective with which course of action to take on the rush rather than a predetermined decision, they are going to be far less than optimum in their production.

Reactions: axlrose87

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Just an observation, no science behind it. I'm seeing them rely on more shots from the point, often with little to no traffic in front. Earlier in the year they were making quick, short passes, or, carrying it in deep on the rush. Both approaches made it difficult to defend against, especially with their speed and quickness. I also notice this on the PP where they are not relying on work down low as often as they did earlier in the season.

I can only guess (if my observation is accurate), that they are adapting to changes other teams are making, but unless they are selective with which course of action to take on the rush rather than a predetermined decision, they are going to be far less than optimum in their production.
I agree.
There seems to be a confidence issue these days.
What happened to all that creativity form earlier on.
They sure need a reset.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
what does the coach have to do with nylander, mathews, kadri not remembering how to score?

Kadri just has a lower shooting %. Why the hell is Matthews barely playing above 18 minuts per game?
How about not playing Marleau and Hyman so many minutes?

Reactions: Mats13

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Kadri just has a lower shooting %. Why the hell is Matthews barely playing above 18 minuts per game?
How about not playing Marleau and Hyman so many minutes?
Hyman is on the same line as Tavares... Marleau usually on Mathews line... He's not just sending Marleau and Hyman by themselves, he's sending their lines out which include Tavares and Mathews.

Because we have Tavares, Marner, Kadri, Nylander, Kapanen and Johnsonn too. If he was on a shit team he would be playing above 18 minutes..

Reactions: BayStBullies

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Interesting because I'm observing something different. I see point shots come off way too slowly. Some onetimers would be nice to see to keep the goalie on edge. Right now, far too many outside shots are blocked leaving the opposing goalie to only really worry about the inside traffic.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
What's hurting the Leafs offence is that we have too many passengers. JT, Marner, and Kap might be the only consistently dangerous players right now. We need Matthews to snap out of it, we need Willy to snap out of it in a major way, we need something from Brown occasionally, Lindholm has not scored in 40 games that's unacceptable. Kadri needs to be more consistent, play like in Tampa all the time. Marleau is whatever, it was a big mistake signing him. His impact off the ice does not offset is lack of impact on it. He shows up once in 20 games or so.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I agree.
There seems to be a confidence issue these days.
What happened to all that creativity form earlier on.
They sure need a reset.

I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing this. I clearly see a different style. I have to think it's by design, maybe Babcock doesn't want them to get too comfortable with dancing around as they had been, knowing much of that space could be taken away during playoffs (I've taken issue with some of the "put the whistle in the pocket" reffing in the playoff, but I digress...). This is a fair objective if you are the coach (though he can't prevent a player from missing the net, or not finding the hole that a goalie gives).

They need to win puck battles obviously, and there are times they really compete. That unpredictability they were showing early just seems to not be there. I'm fine with them playing even basic, old school dump and chase, and puck cycling from time to time, in fact, I think it should be encouraged. No team should have just one "look". However, it shouldn't be a case of going from the Globetrotters to a very simplified game.

At the very least, they need to get their timing in regards to these shots, it's coming too soon, the opposing goalie gets clear looks and easy saves. I saw the Canucks do this exact same thing against the Leafs when the Leafs shut them out and a third string goalie had a fairly easy shutout. Constant low percentage shots from outside the circle with no traffic in front. I assumed it was because they were tired from the night before.

The Leafs should remain dynamic and not trade one form of predictability with another.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
They either can't or won't pass the puck.

Pass is quicker than carrying the puck.

Stop the continuous stretch pass to a forward who then tries single handedly to go through the other team.

I'd like to see a much smaller gap between players, at most one floater waiting 2 zones away for the pass.

Don't be out-manned in a zone, don't have 2 defenders under attack by 3 forwards every shift, with the forwards up by center ice waiting for someone else to do the heavy lifting. Make quick 12'-17' passes and move as a group.

In the O-Zone, don't be afraid to shoot the puck and go for the rebound, you don't need to pass the puck into the net. You don't have to score on every shot, a rebound is sometimes the more effective option.

Like to see the system the Wings used when they were a good team, a decade ago before their decline under Babcock.

Last edited:

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
what does the coach have to do with nylander, mathews, kadri not remembering how to score?

His solution to helping Matthews is dropping him from PP1 and playing him with Connor f***ing Brown.

I've just about had it with the blind Babcock defenders. He does dumb shit and it's fair to call him out.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing this. I clearly see a different style. I have to think it's by design, maybe Babcock doesn't want them to get too comfortable with dancing around as they had been, knowing much of that space could be taken away during playoffs (I've taken issue with some of the "put the whistle in the pocket" reffing in the playoff, but I digress...). This is a fair objective if you are the coach (though he can't prevent a player from missing the net, or not finding the hole that a goalie gives).

They need to win puck battles obviously, and there are times they really compete. That unpredictability they were showing early just seems to not be there. I'm fine with them playing even basic, old school dump and chase, and puck cycling from time to time, in fact, I think it should be encouraged. No team should have just one "look". However, it shouldn't be a case of going from the Globetrotters to a very simplified game.

At the very least, they need to get their timing in regards to these shots, it's coming too soon, the opposing goalie gets clear looks and easy saves. I saw the Canucks do this exact same thing against the Leafs when the Leafs shut them out and a third string goalie had a fairly easy shutout. Constant low percentage shots from outside the circle with no traffic in front. I assumed it was because they were tired from the night before.

The Leafs should remain dynamic and not trade one form of predictability with another.
And another problem with these point shots is that there doesn't seem to be a single good slap shot on the blue line.... or the entire team for that matter

Reactions: Leafsfan74

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
What is hurting this team is that they have too much of one ingredient and not enough of another. They could use a player like Gallagher who brings it every night, goes to the dirty areas, instigates and pisses off the opposition. Saw this guy muck it up with ex-teammates Patches and Subban when they returned to the Bell Centre. Everybody loves when Kadri plays with an edge but Kadri does not play that way much. Gallagher brings that edge night in and night out.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
His solution to helping Matthews is dropping him from PP1 and playing him with Connor ****ing Brown.

I've just about had it with the blind Babcock defenders. He does dumb **** and it's fair to call him out.
You dont make any sense. Like players can never do any wrong, maybe Mathews is just playing bad?... If I did a shit job at work I'm not gonna blame my co-worker and then my boss for pairing me with that co-worker, I'm gonna chalk it up to me sucking at my job for that day. My boss doesnt change my co-worker every 2 weeks... Doesnt make sense.. Chemistry can be a factor but c'mon man you are overrating it way tooo much. Its hockey if he is playing good he will play good, if he is playing bad he will play bad

Reactions: rimshot

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
You dont make any sense. Like players can never do any wrong, maybe Mathews is just playing bad?... If I did a **** job at work I'm not gonna blame my co-worker and then my boss for pairing me with that co-worker, I'm gonna chalk it up to me sucking at my job for that day. My boss doesnt change my co-worker every 2 weeks... Doesnt make sense.. Chemistry can be a factor but c'mon man you are overrating it way tooo much. Its hockey if he is playing good he will play good, if he is playing bad he will play bad
So do you think putting Brown with Matthews is gonna help Matthews play better and be more productive?

great

Apr 14, 2018
The dump and chase isn't built for a team as fast as the Leafs, and it hasn't helped the defence. The fact that they're still doing it even though it has visibly failed for so long is a mystery to me. Also Matthews looks in a funk. Kadri and Marleau with Kapanen has been looking good for the last two games.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Were not playing with speed. We look slow and that's causing a lot of issues.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
They either can't or won't pass the puck.

Pass is quicker than carrying the puck.

Stop the continuous stretch pass to a forward who then tries single handedly to go through the other team.

I'd like to see a much smaller gap between players, at most one floater waiting 2 zones away for the pass.

Don't be out-manned in a zone, don't have 2 defenders under attack by 3 forwards every shift, with the forwards up by center ice waiting for someone else to do the heavy lifting. Make quick 12'-17' passes and move as a group.

In the O-Zone, don't be afraid to shoot the puck and go for the rebuild, you don't need to pass the puck into the net. You don't have to score on every shot, a rebound is sometimes the more effective option.

Like to see the system the Wings used when they were a good team, a decade ago before their decline under Babcock.
Where are the advanced stats that measure aggression, forecheck and the will to engage in puck battles.

Or the stats that indicate when it gets hard out there the players that will have an Xbox controller disconnect?

Reactions: ULF_55

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad