What if Winnipeg, Quebec, Hartford never moved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
RangerBoy said:
I wish the NHL was a 21 team league like it used to be :)

ah the good old days where a 22-55-5 record would still get you into the playoffs. love those sweeps. hardly see the brooms out these days :(

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
Chootoi said:
ah the good old days where a 22-55-5 record would still get you into the playoffs. love those sweeps. hardly see the brooms out these days :(
Yeah, that's where having the Nords, Devils, and one of Winnipeg or LA suck so bad in your division really paid off. Heck, just being in the Norris during the 80's pretty much got you in. Win 22 of 80 and think you're taking an early vacation this year! Think again, you'll first need to be humilated during the coarse of one extra week.

EDIT: Of coarse this is only a generalization, please don't post standings for the entire decade.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
AdmiralPred said:
Yeah, that's where having the Nords, Devils, and one of Winnipeg or LA suck so bad in your division really paid off. Heck, just being in the Norris during the 80's pretty much got you in. Win 22 of 80 and think you're taking an early vacation this year! Think again, you'll first need to be humilated during the coarse of one extra week.
True dat. This is why St. Louis made the playoffs for 30-odd years straight ;)

Of course, we'll all be making fun of this again when they expand the playoffs to 20 teams and sub-.500 teams (even with shootout losses!) make the playoffs.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
TransportedUpstater said:
Also, keep in mind the Quebec Citadelles were Montreal's affiliate. Die-hard Quebec City hockey fans will never, ever, EVER cheer for anything Hab related.

TU:

Well they must have because the Citadelles lasted 3 years because that's what the ownership had signed, THE FANS preferred the Q team, not because the Canadiens tried, again, even the Q TRIED in Montreal and ran into the same scenario as the Citadelles did, but don't u find it strange that the Canadiens' affiliate is in English Canada instead of Quebec, in fact, the Citadelles are existing today, TU.

jacketracket*

jamiebez said:
Of course, we'll all be making fun of this again when they expand the playoffs to 20 teams ...
Hey, I'm a CBJ fan, and I'd love to see them in the playoffs before I keel.

Keep going ...

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
oh..you can't forget that the leafs would have won the cup...no carolina..automatic trip to the 2002 finals..as Detroit wouldn't have played Colorado in the conference final, and thus would have lost to the coyotes instead who would have been a cinderella team and cinderella teams never win in the final. (past examples: Washington, Carolina, Anaheim, Calgary)

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
go_leafs_go02 said:
oh..you can't forget that the leafs would have won the cup...no carolina..automatic trip to the 2002 finals..as Detroit wouldn't have played Colorado in the conference final, and thus would have lost to the coyotes instead who would have been a cinderella team and cinderella teams never win in the final. (past examples: Washington, Carolina, Anaheim, Calgary)
I think there's too many intangibles to add up regarding franchise moves to automatically pencil in the 2002 Maple Leafs as representatives of the Eastern Conference..

The Leafs were outplayed in that series and had a sizeable meltdown.. who's to say they would've done that with Montreal? or Boston? And also consider season standings and player acquisitions... too much to think about .

Phousse

Jul 28, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
go_leafs_go02 said:

Guess what.. The Coyotes moved from Winnepeg.

MuzikMachine

Nov 14, 2005
go_leafs_go02 said:

Plus Montreal would have automatically advanced to Eastern Final....Toronto/Montreal Eastern Final :yo:

But the Leafs would have probably lost, if not to Carolina, then to someone else. Ah, but if the Whalers wouldn't have moved, it would have been the Whalers run to the 2002 Finals! Too bad for you! :p: :D

jacketracket*

Squiddy said:
Winnipeg had a team? :sarcasm:
I just don't "get" you. You honestly seem to take pleasure in other's pain.

Makes you a rare breed, indeed ...

jacketracket*

Squiddy said:
What the .... :dunno:
Exactly.

That's what I find myself saying every time I read a post of yours slagging a Winnipeg, Hartford, etc.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
jacketracket said:
Hey, I'm a CBJ fan, and I'd love to see them in the playoffs before I keel.

Keep going ...

I say just make all teams in the playoffs, with a 32 team bracket (though since we only have 30 teams, the first place team in each conference gets a bye in the first round).

jacketracket*

alanschu said:
I say just make all teams in the playoffs, with a 32 team bracket (though since we only have 30 teams, the first place team in each conference gets a bye in the first round).
The CBJ would still find a way to miss out ...

Rayne*

The Jets would've remained mediocre, the Nordiques would be the last Canadian team to have won the cup, and the Whalers would've been the Cinderella team of 2002.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
jacketracket said:
Exactly.

That's what I find myself saying every time I read a post of yours slagging a Winnipeg, Hartford, etc.

Do you even know why I said that? You clearly don't... Nor do you understand sarcasm.

jacketracket*

Squiddy said:
Do you even know why I said that? You clearly don't... Nor do you understand sarcasm.
Better question ... do I even care what you said.

If that's what passes for sarcasm, I've seen about 700 of your posts just dripping with it.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
cape islander said:
Just assume that these 3 teams never moved and no other NHL team moved would Phoenix, Colorado, or Carolina have NHL teams right now? if so which expansion teams would they have taken?
out of Colorado, phoenix, carolina, nashville, columbus, minnesota, and atlanta which of these 4 would have gotten expansion teams?

Colorado, Minnesota, Atlanta and Phoenix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad