News Article: "What if we compare the Rangers and the Canadian?"

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Actually he didnt. He looked pretty meh in last preseason for us when the trade happened remember? We sent him down and then he impressed.
I think the credit to his vast improvement occurred during his final junior season playing for the Memorial Cup. Habs have had little to do with his development

Reactions: Rapala

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I think the credit to his vast improvement occurred during his final junior season playing for the Memorial Cup. Habs have had little to do with his development
I mean Vegas didnt do anything different. Suzuki struggled a lot early in the season and is one of our best forwards right now. I'm sure Habs did something right to develop him.

Reactions: jaffy27

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I mean Vegas didnt do anything different. Suzuki struggled a lot early in the season and is one of our best forwards right now. I'm sure Habs did something right to develop him.
I think Suzuki took charge of his development, worked on his strength and skating. I am sure the Habs provided guidance.

My point is he didn't spend a lot of time in the Habs organization before being ready.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I think Suzuki took charge of his development, worked on his strength and skating. I am sure the Habs provided guidance.

My point is he didn't spend a lot of time in the Habs organization before being ready.
Most of the time it's the player improving themself, but the Habs surely helped him out therefore developing him.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

He also worked on his defence wish was a direct directive from management.

To Not not credit Montreal with Suzuki’s development is laughable.

Reactions: The Great Weise

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Developing goes beyond just how he looks on the ice

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
He also worked on his defence wish was a direct directive from management.

To Not not credit Montreal with Suzuki’s development is laughable.
Habs absolutely developed Suzuki. He didnt just magically become this good when he looked like crap at the start of the year.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Habs absolutely developed Suzuki. He didnt just magically become this good when he looked like crap at the start of the year.
Posters were debating sending him to Laval.

of course the Habs didn’t give him his talents, but his pro game has transitioned quite nicely from when he first got here. This is on teammates and coaching

paddy

Aug 2, 2005
Every player develops differently. Some need more nurturing, some need less. Intelligence and self-confidence play a big part in how much or how little the team and environment play a role in development.

I will say this though... Development plays a huge part in success for 75% of young players. The rest (25%) succeed or fail no matter what you do.

paddy

Aug 2, 2005
I know some like to blame Timmins. He's done some good and some bad work, like most scouts in the league. As such, he definitely deserves blame for some picks, and praise for others. But you can never take a scout's work by itself when talking about prospects' success when development plays such a huge role for most young players.

Why have the Habs never had any top scoring players over the last 30 years?
Organisational philosophy and mentality: what players are told or encouraged to work on, the values that are imparted, the system played, the priorities, etc...

The lastt time we had high scoring was Turgeon and Damphousse with 90+ point seasons... with Mario Tremblay as head coach. Basically, Mario was just opening the bench door for them and they went out and did their thing. They were established offensive players who wanted to play an agressive offensive game. They succeeded, and when the team started loosing a few, Jacque Laperrière told Tremblay that they absolutely needed to tighten up their game, and that's when the fallout with Pierre Turgeon happened. Pierre had game philosophy arguments right on the bench with his coach. Needless to say, he didn't last long in Montreal. You could argue that they traded him to give the emerging Koivu a bigger role, but it wasn't the main reason. There was absolutely room for both of them.

If this team wants a real change of direction, it'll take a major change in organisational philosophy and mentality at every level, even as far as the media around the team. They are all clinging to an outdated mentality and talking about a glorified past instead of moving forward and taking actions necessary to succeed, like in the past. However, the conditions and requirements for success are completely different from the past.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Current NHL player Kotkaniemi has regressed and was clearly not the best player available when drafted 3rd overall. I have doubts he will become a point producing top 6 player the way he is being handled.

I don't see any evidence that he has regressed at all. How did you arrive at the conclusion?

Only one rookie is/actually ready and shows promise. Suzuki...and we didn't draft or develop him.

So are you actually suggesting that Suzuki arrived in Montreal before last season fully developed? How is that possible?

Poehling is clearly not ready and anyone who doesn't think his confidence is being rattled by his zero point totals are out of touch.

I guess I'm out of touch. He doesn't look out of place in the NHL to me and yet he's "clearly" not ready to you.

Fleury has shown he has NHL ability but he belongs in Laval playing 23 minutes a night in all situations.

Fleury looks very comfortable in the NHL and seems to be developing nicely. Why does he belong in the AHL? You think playing at all levels in the AHL is more important than the experience he's getting at the NHL level as an every day player?

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
The management obviously knew this might be a tough few years. Molson even said it straight out at the start of the season. .... now whether it is an effective plan... we shall see

I think by this point we can confidently say Bergevins ‘plan’ was / will not / will never be effective

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

Track record suggests it's luck, see Gallagher.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Didn't read the article but the Rangers getting Panarin makes any comparison between the teams apples to oranges.

Didn't read it either and bear in mind I have always seen similarities between both organizations, we are rich, sometime we lucked out and somehow get deep (Habs in 2010, Rangers against the Kings), we have a lack of overall franchise talent or prospect, we develop in a similar way, we don't draft high...it goes on an on but the thing they get and we don't is big talented free agents. (that being said it rarely works out for them)

Reactions: loudi94

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
The decision to go full rebuild is not one Bergevin can make alone. The key to this is Molson. Say what you want about Bergevin, but since Molson asked for a reset, Bergevin makes a very good job. I think the role of Molson since he is the owner/president of the team is overlooked. Just after he bought the team, Gainey made the awful Gomez/McDonagh trade and hired Gionta and Cammalleri as UFA instead of continue building on Price and the 2007 draft. So it's easy to blame Gainey, Gauthier and Bergevin, but Molson is the guy who gives the way to follow to the GM. If Molson would ask to go deeper in the reset/rebuild process, Bergevin would do so.

MB never committed to a rebuild. He never had a plan. His goal is and always has been to make the playoffs, he's just so incredibly bad at his job that his team is rotting at the bottom of the standings anyway.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
What are you talking about? Suzuki is on a 50 points pace at 20. Please tell me who is the last player the Habs had that made 50 points at 20 years old? Good search. Also, all this panicking about Kotkaniemi. It's pathetic. This kid was never tagged as an exceptionnal player like a McDavid or a Matthews. He is more in the mold of a Barkov or a Scheifele. He will need some time, but the talent is obvious. He is very young and clearly physically immature. He needs time. That's it.

None of our prospects are top player yet. We lack a true top center, despite KK, Suzuki and Poehling. Other teams have good prospects, we tend to focus on our team and forget there is 30 other teams, soon 31 other teams. Caufield without a top center will be useless. We don't have a star goalie to replace Price, who isn't a real star goalie when it counts, btw.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad