What if there is no 2004-05 season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJG123

Jul 13, 2003
Prince George, B.C.
Visit site
I'm just curious to know if anyone has heard if there is a contingency plan to deal with the draft order if there is no hockey played in the NHL next year. Does washington get Crosby? Does the league do another lottery based on the standings of this season? Is it a lottery with all teams having an equal chance to draw number 1? Any comments or speculation would be welcome.

Can you imagine AO and SiCro on the Washington team in 05/06 - it could be a sick decade for everyone else whose not a Caps fan! :cry:

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
EJG123 said:
I'm just curious to know if anyone has heard if there is a contingency plan to deal with the draft order if there is no hockey played in the NHL next year. Does washington get Crosby? Does the league do another lottery based on the standings of this season? Is it a lottery with all teams having an equal chance to draw number 1? Any comments or speculation would be welcome.

Can you imagine AO and SiCro on the Washington team in 05/06 - it could be a sick decade for everyone else whose not a Caps fan! :cry:

If there is no season, there is no draft. I'm guessing that there will be an 04/05 season, it'll just be shortened.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
There is no official plan yet...and no one will truly know until it happens.

The idea thrown around most likely though is that the draft order(pre-lottery) is held, except it's weighted with all the teams in the NHL.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
If what they're thinking of doing is simply a lottery involving the non-playoff teams of 2003-04, then that's so wrong on so many levels. In my opinion, all 30 clubs deserve at least a shot at Sidney Crosby. When there IS a season, all teams that have a first-round pick have a crack at the first overall selection (some better than others), unless you don't have first-round pick that is. The same should apply to the 2004-05 season even if they don't play.

Yeah, it's LIKELY that the Colorado Avalanche or Detroit Red Wings won't be lottery teams if have the season but you can't guarantee that. Look at what happened to the San Jose Sharks when they WERE expected to compete for the Stanley Cup (2002-03) and when they were expected to rebuild (2003-04).

Therefore, there should be a 30-team lottery--unless somebody is stupid enough to trade their 2005 first-round pick this off-season. And somehow I doubt the situation would ever get to the point where there simply wouldn't be a draft. That's not going to happen, not in a year where the next great superstar player is eligible for selection. You cannot have a Crosby/free agency situation, that would cause total salary anarchy in the league (and isn't that what they're fighting about to begin with?). And you can't tell Crosby to stay out of the NHL because there's no draft, either, because the NHL needs Crosby as much as Crosby needs the NHL. The league certainly wouldn't want Crosby to spend ANY time in the WHA, or anywhere else.

This should start to get very interesting in the months ahead.

EJG123

Jul 13, 2003
Prince George, B.C.
Visit site
Til the End of Time said:
That is false.
In all fairness, I did put all specultion would be welcome. Perhaps this is what the previous comment about there being no draft is. I hope it is anyways........no draft would be rediculous and not in the best interest of the league or the fans. What a Giant can of legal worms that would be! Everyone could be suing everyone else for the rights to Crosby, etc.

EJG123

Jul 13, 2003
Prince George, B.C.
Visit site
Now that I've thought about it a bit more, I would be pissed off if it wasn't a flat luck of the draw for every team. In my mind all teams would have finished the year tied with zero points therefore equal. .....and the # 1 pick goes to.......the Vancouver Canucks! A guy can dream can't he!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
EJG123 said:

If there is a season, there's a very good chance the Caps will have a great shot at getting Crosby, unless they somehow find some quality defensemen this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad