What if the richest step out from NHL to create their own league?

Noldo

May 28, 2007
Some teams still operate at a loss due to revenue sharing though.

The factors driving the potential “Super League” in European football just do not exist in the NHL:

- NHL has brand recognition and brand value which is on par or even exceeds the value of the teams because the NHL is undeniably the best hockey league in the world

- in hockey the dynamic pricing of tickets is still in early stages and (from big market team’s perspective) the gate revenue from a game against a big market team does not fundamentally differ from the gate revenue from a game against other teams in the League. There is slight premium pricing but not so much that team’s revenue would materially increase even if all games would be priced at premium level (even ignoring that such pricing could be impossible if there would be much more such games available)

- big market teams have lots of influence within the League and they can manage their interests from within (just look the TV schedule)

- the revenue shared among the teams is very likely far smaller cost to the big market teams than what they save in salary costs due to the cap

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I was attempting to draw an analogy to a past discussion.

The high-revenue teams growing revenues faster than low-revenue teams causes the salary cap to rise faster, which puts more pressure on low-revenue teams in their attempt to be profitable. The salary cap system doesn't guarantee profits; it does give low-revenue teams a better shot at it..

Oh I agree on your last point. My point about the Canadian teams was that aside from Toronto and Montreal, every Canadian team in the past 20 years or so has had a decent shot of being relocated due to financial issues. As the poster below me said, the economic relaties are in place so a european super league type concept won't happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad