What if...the Pens got the #1 pick in 2004

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I believe they had the worst record that year. What if they picked first and selected Ovechkin. Would they still have 3 cups, more, less? Would Ovechkin have been even more prolific on Crosby's wing?

Edit: Since some people reminded me that 1st overall picks was a criterion for how many balls you got in the lottery and therefore the Pens might have not gotten Crosby then, maybe a better question is what if the Caps took Malkin 1st overall instead of Ovechkin.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Malkin is one of the best consolation prizes in history. I remember there were people at the time that thought he might end up better than Ovechkin, he was just rawer.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Then they probably don't win Crosby because the lockout draft assigned numbers based upon recent 1st OA selections and playoff appearances.

Jun 15, 2007
Pens don't get Crosby if they get Ovechkin. They had more balls in the 05 draft lottery because they hadn't had a number one pick in the past five years.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
What is they drafted toews instead of staal? I think they have at least 5 cups.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I forgot about the criteria for the balls in 2005. Jesus, talk about getting lucky. Lose the 1st pick, get the best 2nd pick in recent memory and get Crosby.

Reactions: TheTang58

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The Rangers had the lowest pick from all the teams that had the most amount of balls, btw. We ended up trading up for Marc Staal. Who let's be fair has had a good career but still. Remember this next time you think the lottery is rigged.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It's hard to say really, especially in terms of Stanley Cups.

I think Ovechkin > Malkin for career and that's not going to change and not particularly close either. He simply had the better career. He arguably had the better peak too (though Malkin is pretty strong for peak himself). I don't think Ovechkin's regular season career changes much in Pitt. He still gets his rockets - maybe he plays with Crosby instead of Backstrom and scores more goals, or maybe on a separate line with a weaker center and scores slightly less - but overall it won't affect him much.

Pens still make the playoffs every year and with a record likely comparable to what actually happened. Malkin vs Ovechkin won't impact their regular season records much.

Playoffs is where it matters. And does an Ovechkin/Crosby combo work better than Crosby/Malkin in the playoffs? About the same? Is it worst? That's anyone's guess. As good as Malkin as in 09 - Ovechkin was arguably just as good through 2 rounds. Maybe they still win 3 cups. Maybe they win 1 or 2. Or maybe they win 4+.

In terms of ability Ovechkin vs Malkin isn't a huge difference. There's something to be said about having 2 #1 Centers vs a Center and a Winger - but it's not like it's that big of a differentiator, especially with the winger being Ovechkin.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Another what if in hockey history. Would have been awesome to see Ovie and Crosby as team mates and line mates throughout their career.

Reindl87

May 18, 2012
Well that's really something interesting to think about. Obviously Malkin is a hell of a player and Pittsburgh is more than lucky to get them. Howvwer, he is not the same type of Superstar that Ovechkin is. The thouht of Corby and Ovechkin is just insane. Both on a sportive as awell as ona media Hype-Drama Level. Would have been nuts. It's hard to say how Team sucess would Change but Crosbys and Ovechkins numbers would even be better than they actually were.
And if were going to Play the what if game. What if Mario didn't develop his heart Problems and would have played from 05-08 as he had intended to do. Lemieux ovechkin, Crosby on tee power play, oh baby:popcorn::popcorn:

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
The lottery in 2005 was total bullshit. The Pens were already gifted one of the top 3 players in history in the 80s and won two Cups. They should never have been first in line for the next generational player.

Reactions: Eichel9

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The lottery in 2005 was total bull****. The Pens were already gifted one of the top 3 players in history in the 80s and won two Cups. They should never have been first in line for the next generational player.

They weren't. There were three other teams in the lottery that had the maximum 3 balls - Buffalo, Columbus, and the Rangers. At the time there was a *lot* of conspiracy theorizing that Crosby was being gift-wrapped to go to New York or LA (which had two balls) because coming off of the lockout, the NHL needed his star power in one of their larger media markets. Combine that with pictures that came out of Crosby wearing Kings practice gear (he was at a Kings prospect camp) and there was a LOT of thought that Pittsburgh didn't have a chance at him.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad