What if the Original 6 still existed today?

Edgeworth*

Jonas Hiller isn't from Ontario lol

Also replace Roloson with ROTY Steve Mason, bit more respectable.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
why did toronto not get a country like every other team did

certainly sweden should be with the leafs since they started there first

Yeah, you'd figure Toronto has a long history with Sweden, maybe they should have some territorial rights there too:

Salming
Hammarstrom
Sundin
Jonsson
Modin
Tellqvist
Gustavsson
Frogren
Hoglund
Steen
Kronwall
Gunnarsson
Hedin
Stalberg
Stralman

And management with Anders Hedberg and scout Thommie Bergmann

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
Heatley for Ontario? I know he was born in Germany, but didn't he grow up out west somewhere?

I gave Heater to the Leafs because he was born in Germany and Giroux to the Habs because he played junior in the Q.

Which isn't fair to the Bruins, so let's make an adjustment.

Bruins
Heatley-Kopitar-Iginla
Hossa-Handzus-Doan
Gaborik-Boyle-Callahan
Upshall-Drury-Little-

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
Hey Kyle, what if it was O6 in... '83-84?

Would have been the rookie year of Super Mario and the best chance in a while for the Habs to break the deadlock of the juggernaut Maple Leafs.

Starting line-ups for the Stanley Cup Finals

Montreal Canadiens

Goulet-Lemieux-Kurri
S.Turgeon-Savard-Bossy
Perreault-B.Smith-Larouche
McPhee-Carbonneau-Tremblay

Potvin-Bourque
Lowe-MacInnis
Rochefort-Marois

Penney
Gosselin
Lemelin

Toronto Maple Leafs

Tonelli-Gretzky-Gartner
Bellows-Hawerchuk-Vaive
Ogrodnick-Sittler-Middleton
Gainey-Acton-Ramsey

Coffey-Ramage
Wilson-Robinson
Carlyle-Cirella

Wamsley
Riggin

andreydali19

They're relentless
Jun 19, 2006
Liv. of Mich.
Would have been the rookie year of Super Mario and the best chance in a while for the Habs to break the deadlock of the juggernaut Maple Leafs.

Montreal Canadiens

Goulet-Lemieux-Kurri
S.Turgeon-Savard-Bossy

Potvin-Bourque
Lowe-MacInnis
Rochefort-Marois

Penney
Gosselin
Lemelin

Toronto Maple Leafs

Tonelli-Gretzky-Gartner
Bellows-Hawerchuk-Vaive
Gainey-Acton-Ramsey

Coffey-Ramage
Wilson-Robinson
Carlyle-Cirella

Wamsley
Riggin

Wait, Lemieux was drafted after the 83-84 season. I admit I mentioned that season solely for the reason for who'd be where before Mario arrived.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto

Montreal Canadiens

Goulet-Lemieux-Kurri
S.Turgeon-Savard-Bossy

Potvin-Bourque
Lowe-MacInnis
Rochefort-Marois

Penney
Gosselin
Lemelin

Toronto Maple Leafs

Tonelli-Gretzky-Gartner
Bellows-Hawerchuk-Vaive
Gainey-Acton-Ramsey

Coffey-Ramage
Wilson-Robinson
Carlyle-Cirella

Wamsley
Riggin

You could probably slide Billy Smith and Mike Liut into Ontario's lineup ahead of those two tenders ;). Tim Kerr and Ron Francis should definitely make the squad. Other notables from the time include Bernie Nicholls, Charlie Simmer, Larry Murphy, and a young Steve Yzerman and Scott Stevens.

And Denis Potvin is from Ontario.

Tonelli - Gretzky - Kerr
Ogrodnick - Hawerchuk - Vaive
Bellows - Sittler - Gartner
Gainey - Francis - Middleton

Coffey - Robinson
Potvin - Wilson
Carlyle - Ramage

Smith
Liut​

With a 200-point Gretzky vs. a pre-rookie Lemieux, far superior goaltending, and Potvin playing for his actual province, I think Ontario is the favourite vs. Quebec/East/Finland.

Last edited:

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Yeah, you'd figure Toronto has a long history with Sweden, maybe they should have some territorial rights there too:

Salming
Hammarstrom
Sundin
Jonsson
Modin
Tellqvist
Gustavsson
Frogren
Hoglund
Steen
Kronwall
Gunnarsson
Hedin
Stalberg
Stralman

And management with Anders Hedberg and scout Thommie Bergmann
If you wish success to your contry-fellows, never mention them in one sentence with Toronto. :laugh:

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
You could probably slide Billy Smith and Mike Liut into Ontario's lineup ahead of those two tenders ;). Tim Kerr and Ron Francis should definitely make the squad. Other notables from the time include Bernie Nicholls, Charlie Simmer, Larry Murphy, and a young Steve Yzerman and Scott Stevens.

And Denis Potvin is from Ontario.

Tonelli - Gretzky - Kerr
Ogrodnick - Hawerchuk - Vaive
Bellows - Sittler - Gartner
Gainey - Francis - Middleton

Coffey - Robinson
Potvin - Wilson
Carlyle - Ramage

Smith
Liut​

With a 200-point Gretzky vs. a pre-rookie Lemieux, far superior goaltending, and Potvin playing for his actual province, I think Ontario is the favourite vs. Quebec/East/Finland.

Not content with winning, the Leafs want total domination!

Potvin was born in Hull, PQ so should be a Hab. Yzerman was born in BC so he is claimed by the RedWings.

Also, in the days before European players were prevalent, the American teams should be able to claim chunks of Ontario just to even things out.

If we give Detroit the south east from London to Windsor then they would have Kerr and Ciccarelli.

Chicago should get the NorthWest (Sudbury to the Soo) and the Rangers get the Kingston -Belleville area.

Boston would have the Sutters and the Stastnys to go with Messier and Lanny MacDonald (I know I can't picture it either) but need more players too. Maybe they should get the Ottawa valley?

That leaves the Peterborough-Kitchener-Barrie triangle for the Leafs, still plenty for a powerhouse.

Chevyconvertible

Feb 4, 2011
Warren, Michigan
Wasn't it a rule in the Original Six that any team had exclusive claim to any player from within 50 miles of the team?

I hate to burst the bubble here, but the scouting staffs were very aggressive and certain regions really didn't matter except for Montreal. The Rangers really messed up, they invited Gordie Howe to their camp, but didn't sign him. That has to be one of the colossal ****up's of NHL history.

The only thing I remember is that the Canadians always had first choice of any junior from Quebec. They did let some damned good ones get away in the 40's and 50's. One great Red Wings defenseman was Marcel Pronovot.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Not content with winning, the Leafs want total domination!

Potvin was born in Hull, PQ so should be a Hab. Yzerman was born in BC so he is claimed by the RedWings.

Also, in the days before European players were prevalent, the American teams should be able to claim chunks of Ontario just to even things out.

If we give Detroit the south east from London to Windsor then they would have Kerr and Ciccarelli.

Chicago should get the NorthWest (Sudbury to the Soo) and the Rangers get the Kingston -Belleville area.

Boston would have the Sutters and the Stastnys to go with Messier and Lanny MacDonald (I know I can't picture it either) but need more players too. Maybe they should get the Ottawa valley?

That leaves the Peterborough-Kitchener-Barrie triangle for the Leafs, still plenty for a powerhouse.

I hear Wayne Gretzky once took a vacation out of province, want to steal him too? ;)

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Canadiens only had first choice of the guys who didn't sign a contract as an underager. So basically, it affected very few useful players.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Yeah, the Habs having the special draft selection or whatever didn't really amount to much. Or was he talking about something other than the special french pick Montreal got in the first few years of the NHL draft?

That said, before the draft was instituted I'd imagine that they basically had the pick of the litter for Quebecois prospects due to language and cultural issues. I don't really know how it all worked back then, but I suspect you'd have an easier time convincing an English kid from Ontario or Alberta to sign with Chicago than a French kid from Quebec.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad