Speculation: What if someone offersheeted Gusev?

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Vegas is very tight to the cap and will need to dump contracts to be able to sign William Karlsson.

So, let's say someone offersheets Nikita Gusev for 1 year at the max money where the compensation is only a 2nd round draft pick. I believe it would about 4.2m.

Vegas wouldn't have the cap space to match, and Gusev would accept because he can make good money for 1 season while being able to prove himself at the NHL level and then try to cash out in UFA 1 year later...

What would Vegas do if Gusev recieved an offersheet? I think it would be a great idea for my Oilers to do this and only have to give up a future 2nd for what could be our 3rd best forward.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Vegas is very tight to the cap and will need to dump contracts to be able to sign William Karlsson.

So, let's say someone offersheets Nikita Gusev for 1 year at the max money where the compensation is only a 2nd round draft pick. I believe it would about 4.2m.

Vegas wouldn't have the cap space to match, and Gusev would accept because he can make good money for 1 season while being able to prove himself at the NHL level and then try to cash out in UFA 1 year later...

What would Vegas do if Gusev recieved an offersheet? I think it would be a great idea for my Oilers to do this and only have to give up a future 2nd for what could be our 3rd best forward.

I think Vegas already has a plan to give him around that on a 2 year deal.

And he can't be offersheeted.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I don’t believe he can be offersheeted unless I misunderstood @mouser

I'm not the CBA expert like mouser is, but I believe you are correct.

Section 10.2 Restricted free agents

(c) Players With Fewer Than Three Years of Professional Experience.

Any Player with fewer than the required years of professional experience set forth in Section 10.2 shall have no right to Free Agency except as provided in this section. Upon expiration of such a Player's SPC, the Club to whom the Player was last under SPC shall be entitled to make that Player a Qualifying Offer under the terms and conditions set forth in Section 10.2(a)(ii) above. A Club which makes this Qualifying Offer will have the exclusive right to negotiate with any such Player. In the event no such Qualifying Offer is made, the Player shall immediately become an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Section 10.2(a)(iv) above.

Reactions: hangman005

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB

Any Player with fewer than the required years of professional experience set forth in Section 10.2 shall have no right to Free Agency except as provided in this section. Upon expiration of such a Player's SPC, the Club to whom the Player was last under SPC shall be entitled to make that Player a Qualifying Offer under the terms and conditions set forth in Section 10.2(a)(ii) above. A Club which makes this Qualifying Offer will have the exclusive right to negotiate with any such Player. In the event no such Qualifying Offer is made, the Player shall immediately become an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Section 10.2(a)(iv) above.
Ahh. Thank you

Close the thread pls mods.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Gusev is not eligible for an Offer Sheet. He’s not a Group 2 restricted free agent.

He didn’t play the required 10 professional games under an NHL contract in 2018-19 to earn a season of professional experience under the CBA rules. Professional games for a player Gusev’s age include NHL, AHL or any other professional league where the NHL team assigns him.

He falls under the same category of players we occasionally see who sign towards the end of the regular season out of juniors or NCAA and don’t end up playing enough games to qualify for Group 2 RFA and offer sheets. Usually those players are younger then Gusev, but he still ended up in that category.

On a related note Gusev isn’t eligible for salary arbitration either. Capfriendly lists him as arbitration eligible, but it’s a flaw with their calculation formula that will require a good bit of tinkering to fix.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Only clarification I would add is the eligibility rule is really one to three years depending on the age of the player. The title of this CBA section “Players with fewer then three years of professional experience” can be misleading. You have to look a page or two up in the CBA section 10.2 to see the 1-3 year language.

Gusev would have been eligible for Group 2 RFA and offer sheets with a single year of professional experience. But he didn’t meet the required 10 game threshold this 2018-19 season.

Reactions: Brodeur

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

In the offseason the cap increases by 10% allowing them to match but the will need to make moves to be cap compliant.

I don’t think Gusev can get an offer sheet. A pkayer needs to have 3 accrued yrs to get an offer sheet.

Just because an ELC ends doesn’t mean they can get an offer sheet. For example a player came out of college this spring signing a 3 yr ELC. He played some games but didn’t play enough to count as a full season. After he finishes the next 2 yrs of the ELC he can’t get offer sheeted because he doesn’t have 3 yrs of full seasons accrued.

I have said this before..I see more offer sheet active on the 2nd or 3rd comp activity against teams cap strapped like vegas, totinto, Tampa, Winnipeg, and a few other teams.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Only clarification I would add is the eligibility rule is really one to three years depending on the age of the player. The title of this CBA section “Players with fewer then three years of professional experience” can be misleading. You have to look a page or two up in the CBA section 10.2 to see the 1-3 year language.

Gusev would have been eligible for Group 2 RFA and offer sheets with a single year of professional experience. But he didn’t meet the required 10 game threshold this 2018-19 season.

Wasn’t there something on playoff hockey where a player plays 1 game means burning the first yr?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Wasn’t there something on playoff hockey where a player plays 1 game means burning the first yr?

Burning a year on an ELC doesn't automatically mean the player also earns a year of credit towards salary arbitration rights or Group 2 RFA rights (permitting Offer Sheets).

For the vast majority of players the quirky differences between the CBA rules on the different clauses don't come into play. The most often times we see them make a difference are when a player signs their first contract very late into the regular season, such as Gusev here or the frequent late junior or NCAA signings that burn an ELC year.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019

He had 3 years of professional experience in the KHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad