What if scenario: What if Burke's venture to get both Sedins failed?

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
The question is as the title says it is, what if Brian Burke failed to accomplish his goal to acquire both Sedins and only ended up with one? How would that of impacted both of the Sedins' careers?

I was inspired by the Top 10 Swede thread and began wondering if the Sedins should be counted as a single entry or two separate ones.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
They would have still played on the same team. I remember that draft and the twins were adamant that they wanted and needed to stay and play together. If they were chosen by two separate teams, they would have worked out a trade to get them together, whether it was Van or another team...

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
They would have still played on the same team. I remember that draft and the twins were adamant that they wanted and needed to stay and play together. If they were chosen by two separate teams, they would have worked out a trade to get them together, whether it was Van or another team...

They probably would of stayed home until something was worked out also.

Reactions: LamorielloAndSon

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Dudley traded the #1 overall for the first time in history to Burkeo for like a third. All the way down to #4 smh, would have failed without that

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
I was gonna say something snarky like "they would have picked whoever else there was and won a Cup". Then I looked at the rest of that draft. Yuck.

Ace101

Apr 2, 2014

I read an interview a while back that they said they were fine being on different teams. It just worked out for them.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I read an interview a while back that they said they were fine being on different teams. It just worked out for them.

Yeah, I remember that too.

It turned out to be perfect for the sedins though. I think they had the most synergy in the league during their time.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Maybe one of them would have won a cup instead of wasting their careers. Them playing in Vancouver for 17 years didn’t really work out for either side. Futility.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Maybe one of them would have won a cup instead of wasting their careers. Them playing in Vancouver for 17 years didn’t really work out for either side. Futility.
I don't think that being in the upper echelon of the NHL and competing in the playoffs perennially over 17 years is "wasting a career".

Not everyone that makes and plays in the NHL will win the Stanley Cup. That doesn't mean everyone who doesn't win it has wasted their career

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath

Both are future hall of famers with over 2,000 points between them, a hart trophy and a finals appearance plus countless other unique records shared as well as the legacy and adoring fanbase that will soon watch their numbers lifted to the rafters.

They got closer to the cup than 90% of nhl'ers ever will.

What a waste eh?

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
If they get Daniel then he works out pretty well but suffers from lack of support.

If they get Henrik he gets more chances to work with Naslund and Bertuzzi and I think he does pretty well.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Both are future hall of famers with over 2,000 points between them, a hart trophy and a finals appearance plus countless other unique records shared as well as the legacy and adoring fanbase that will soon watch their numbers lifted to the rafters.

They got closer to the cup than 90% of nhl'ers ever will.

What a waste eh?
I’d say winning 7 playoff series in 17 years, 3 of which came during their one respectable run, is a pretty disappointing playoff resume. So essentially, 4 playoff series wins in 16 of their 17 seasons. That’s actually worse than I even could have guessed.

Two very good players but they just couldn’t get over the hump. Imagine if the Canucks had played in a respectful division during this time? I don’t think you can simply overlook their lack of playoff success.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Contrary to popular belief Sedins played better separately. Henrik won Hart when Daniel missed a big chunk of games due to injuries. Daniel won art ross when Henrik missed a bunch of games.

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali

Great video that breaks down Burke’s process of getting the twins.
Also, I saw Patrick Stefan mentioned in this thread and he is constantly put down as a horrible #1 pick but he was a highly sought after prospect at the time. Starting at around the 2:20 mark, Burke talks about how his plan was to get the Sedins AND Stefan. Injuries obviously derailed his career. Multiple concussions at an early age

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
Wasn't there a condition on the #1 pick that was traded to Atlanta to ensure the Sedins were available at pick 2 and 3? I may have got it mixed up with the '03 draft pick trades, though, but hopefully someone can clarify this.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Then everyone would have thought he was in idiot and he would have gotten an nhl gm job somewhere else because the nhl recycles deadbeats. So exactly what happened.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
I think, had the Canucks selected Henrik, he would have developed into having a role with Naslund and Bertuzzi - and may have ended up with higher point totals (given the twins had to play behind those guys for years pre-lockout).

For those people saying the twins were refusing to play apart, can you provide any citation to support that claim? Because the things I've seen seem to pretty steadily indicate that they wanted to play together but very much understood that it might be hard to have happen.

Two very good players but they just couldn’t get over the hump. Imagine if the Canucks had played in a respectful division during this time? I don’t think you can simply overlook their lack of playoff success.

I'll ignore the rest of what you're saying because... well, why bother. I'm not changing your mind. But the "feasting on an easy" division narrative that you're implying is bankrupt. For example, please do yourself a favor: look up the Canucks' record OUTSIDE of their division in the year they went to the final and won the Presidents trophy and compare it to their record inside their division. At their peak, the Sedins and the Canucks took all comers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad