What if scenario (no Jordan Staal trade)

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
You know I have so very little to do when I'm dreaming stuff like this up in the middle of the day....

But what if the Jordan Staal trade had not happened?

We keep Dumoulin, Sutter and the #8 pick. Let's assume that with Faulk, Dumoulin, Pitkanen and Sekeras (and even McBain who looked like a much better player at that point than he turned out to be) we don't duplicate the Pens' pick of Pouliot. Instead, looking for forward help, we take Filip Forsberg.

Naturally we still end up going with a youth movement on defense the next few years anyway because Pitkanen is old and McBain turns out to be junk.

And then the next offseason, we end up signing Jordan anyway....(it was always a strong possiblity).

The biggest impacts I can conceive on the current lineup is that we don't have Teravainen because Forsberg at $6 million precludes taking on Bickell's cap hit. Let's assume we also don't make the blunder on the long-term contract with Semin, and that playing with a talent like Forsberg is a major boon to E. Staal's production.

I think we probably still end up getting Stempniak this offseason, that being a somewhat typical FA singing for the org over its existence. Still, your current lineup could very well looking something like this:

DiGuiseppe-E. Staal-Forsberg
Skinner-Rask-Lindholm
Aho-J. Staal-Stempniak
Nestrasil-Nordstrom-Stalberg

Dumoulin-Faulk
Slavin-Pesce
Hanifin-Murphy

Butterfly effect being what it is, it's impossible to predict exactly what would happen, but the possiblity of retaining those three assets from that trade and still ending up with J. Staal is hard not to think about.

and yes, I have been drinking

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
The Rangers made an offer for J. Staal. Even if he doesn't get traded there I find it hard to believe that the Hurricanes would be able to outbid them in free agency. And that's what it would come down to, because they also had a brother of his. Rangers would have frontloaded it, gave him huge signing bonuses, etc. He wouldn't be playing for us.

But *if* the Hurricanes had signed Jordan Staal and picked Filip Forsberg, there's no way they would have been in the position to draft Hanifin.

Also, Chip said that if the Hurricanes hadn't traded the pick they would have selected Grigorenko.

Last edited:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Have seen before that Carolina was going to draft Grigorenko had that trade not been made. It's an interesting thought though. Brandon Sutter was really developing into a damn good player here, who knows he still might be here today if that trade isn't made.

Edit: See semin4captain beat me to it.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Grigorenko has done a whole lot of nothing, so yeah, bullet dodged (at least on the surface, because it's impossible to say how he'd have developed here).

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I don't think we would have drafted Forsberg (seen the Grigorenko thing before too), and doubt we get to sign Jordan at that point. Think we might have ended up an even worse team, which might have helped our draft position a bit, and maybe given us more top end talent. Hard to say though.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Grigorenko has done a whole lot of nothing, so yeah, bullet dodged (at least on the surface, because it's impossible to say how he'd have developed here).

Funny story. Some of the main characters in the Buffalo front office and scouting dept eventually became convinced that Grigorenko is actually older than his birth certificate says he is. Like, 3 or 4 years older.

Perhaps this is the new "Russian factor."

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Funny story. Some of the main characters in the Buffalo front office and scouting dept eventually became convinced that Grigorenko is actually older than his birth certificate says he is. Like, 3 or 4 years older.

Perhaps this is the new "Russian factor."
there were rumors about that going around at the time of the draft

Last edited:

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
there were rumors about that going around at the time of the draft

Yeah, I googled it earlier today and clicked on some of those articles. I had never heard that before, although I never really paid attention to the draft very closely.

Anyways, like I said, Buffalo's front office became convinced. Which is funny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad