What If Ottawa, Colorado'd The Sharks?

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Everyone was talking about how Ottawa was so bad in 2018-19, and didn't have their first round pick. What if we just got bamboozled and gave up a high pick?

It's only 2-3 games in... do the Sharks have anything to worry about, or is this just early season jitters?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Everyone was talking about how Ottawa was so bad in 2018-19, and didn't have their first round pick. What if we just got bamboozled and gave up a high pick?

It's only 2-3 games in... do the Sharks have anything to worry about, or is this just early season jitters?

They were able to keep Erik Karlsson. Even if it ends up as a #1 pick for Ottawa, for EK65, it's worth it. Ottawa had to turn around and rent out Duchene and got little to show for the trade.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
Yes we are only 3 games in, but I can't remember a time we have had such a poor forward group then we have now.

Hertl and Meier are Hertl and Meier, but then that's it..?
Couture wasn't great until the playoffs last year.
Kane is hot and cold, there's legitimately not another dangerous forward.

Melker, Goodrow, Sorrensen, Radil are all genuine 4th liners
We have rookies that aren't blue chip rookies and we have Jumbo who should be playing very sheltered 3rd line minutes right now.
Labanc can't be trusted to be defensively responsible enough to give much ice time.

Any form of injury to that top 4 group is going to be amplified unless DW can bring in 2 top 6 forwards somehow.

Reactions: themelkman

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yes we are only 3 games in, but I can't remember a time we have had such a poor forward group then we have now.

Hertl and Meier are Hertl and Meier, but then that's it..?
Couture wasn't great until the playoffs last year.
Kane is hot and cold, there's legitimately not another dangerous forward.

Melker, Goodrow, Sorrensen, Radil are all genuine 4th liners
We have rookies that aren't blue chip rookies and we have Jumbo who should be playing very sheltered 3rd line minutes right now.
Labanc can't be trusted to be defensively responsible enough to give much ice time.

Any form of injury to that top 4 group is going to be amplified unless DW can bring in 2 top 6 forwards somehow.

DW was hoping that someone between Labanc, Gambrell, Yurtaykin, Bergmann, and all the other kids would take at least one of those spots. They have all failed to one degree or another thus far but it's still very early. However, if they can't find ways to win while these guys work their way into their roles, it's going to be disastrous for all involved.

jarr92

May 7, 2013
I remember the year they acquired Jones. At one point near December the Sharks were near last in the standings. Lots of people (including me) thought they gave up a pick that was going to end up being top 10.

They ended up going to the finals.

Not saying that's going to happen this year, but clearly it's too early to stress about that happening IMO.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
TBH it's totally fair to give up a top-10 pick for a decade of EK65. (Not that I think this will happen, BTW; I think we will wildcard into playoffs)

Jul 10, 2010
as bad as the sharks have played, im still not convinced they finish bottom 10, nevermind bottom 5. i feel worse case scenario is the dreaded just outside the playoffs where they neither make it, nor perform badly enough to grab one of the top players in the draft barring a lottery win, which in this case wouldnt be so bad

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
as bad as the sharks have played, im still not convinced they finish bottom 10, nevermind bottom 5. i feel worse case scenario is the dreaded just outside the playoffs where they neither make it, nor perform badly enough to grab one of the top players in the draft barring a lottery win, which in this case wouldnt be so bad

Except we have no 1st this year.

Reactions: Pistol Pete

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Given our history of bad 1st round picks with Meier and maybe Merkley being the recent exceptions. I'll take EK65 over the potential of picking someone that doesn't pan out.

Reactions: Pavelski2112

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
PDB needs to go but I don't trust DW in his coaching decisions. Does DWjr have a fancy computer program for coaches ?

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
So it looks like the Sharks indeed got Colorado'd. Hopefully the Sharks can pick up a 2021 pick and Ottawa someone else to continue the streak.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
there is literally no such thing. there is no active action you can take to make this happen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->