Speculation: What If Everything Ever Said About The Las Vegas NHL Team Name Is A Lie

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
As I said on Twitter this is almost bang on what I've been harping on with just a few reservations

1.) I think the NHL.com articles explicitly pointing out the trademarks is worth more to this conspiracy's credibility than anything else. For the league, Foley, and Adidas this is a huge reveal and a historic moment. That they would so publicly semi spoil the name so far out from the reveal is absurd.
2.) I think there's legitimacy to the claim that the league didn't want Black Knights and fan pushback may have affected things. But I also don't doubt that there was pushback from West Point. Military Academies have long entrenched traditions that they're very proud of.

3.) I had a third but I'm on very little sleep so I'll hold this spot for if it ever comes back to me.

sparkychewbarky

Jan 27, 2012
Good article Ken.
I like a good conspiracy theory.
I can see West Point being honoured but saying no to sharing their name.
The London Knights thing is still a mystery to me. I can't see how they can just lock-up a generic name like the "Knights". The Hunter family owns the London team, and they're tight with the NHL. Mark's an executive with the Leafs. I can see them playing along.

...And who's this HanSolo rookie?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'm conspiracy guy here, damnit. :laugh:

If they're not being totally deceptive I'm super disappointed. The worst case scenario for me is driving down to TMobile Arena and having them unveil their Desert Knights branding. It would reflect poorly on the organization, IMO.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I'm conspiracy guy here, damnit. :laugh:

If they're not being totally deceptive I'm super disappointed. The worst case scenario for me is driving down to TMobile Arena and having them unveil their Desert Knights branding. It would reflect poorly on the organization, IMO.

That's a worse scenario to you than driving down to TMA and having them unveil their Nevada Gold branding? ;)

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
That's a worse scenario to you than driving down to TMA and having them unveil their Nevada Gold branding? ;)

Woof, that would be brutal. I never even considered them coming up with some random awful name, that's the worst case. Desert Knights (or something that been leaked) is the 2nd worst.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Good article Ken.
I like a good conspiracy theory.
I can see West Point being honoured but saying no to sharing their name.
The London Knights thing is still a mystery to me. I can't see how they can just lock-up a generic name like the "Knights". The Hunter family owns the London team, and they're tight with the NHL. Mark's an executive with the Leafs. I can see them playing along.

...And who's this HanSolo rookie?

See the AKA profile...

It is (was) DuckJet...

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
"Ladies and gentlemen, your LAS VEGAS SUGEKNIGHTS!"

You don't have a problem with that, now do you...

th

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
True but they paid to own those two teams and have them close to Disneyland. THat didn't happen here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad