What if Edmonton hits the Sophmore Slump Wall Next Year?

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by AmericanDream, May 21, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. AmericanDream

AmericanDream Adopted Canadian

We always hear about that dreaded sophmore slump thing that seems to bother alomost every second year player in the league at some point or another.

Now look at the Oilers and how many rookies they had this year that will likely be playing bigtime roles next year as sophmores.

Taylor Hall, Linus Omark, Jeff Petry, Jordan Eberle, MPS, etc..

What if many of them hit the sophmore slump? Could Edmonton be the worst team in the league again next year?

This isnt a hate thread by any means, but something like this could happen and could it cripple some of these kids confidence if they all struggle together next year?

2. Seachd

Seachd Registered User

Home Page:
    They easily could. It's one of the side effects of a complete rebuild.

It certainly wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

3. McCupofOil

McCupofOil Still Evaluating

Then we draft Ryan Murray :D ..... Taylor Hall, RNH and Ryan Murray in 3 straight years so it could be worse.
    However, i do hope that the team makes some progress next year and works it's way out of the lottery if possible.

4. Seanconn*

Seanconn* Guest

lol, if the Oilers tank again, and get a top 3 pick in the 2012... watch out. They are trying to rebuild the dynasty team. :laugh:

5. McDNicks17

McDNicks17 Moderator

You forgot to mention the hundreds of man games lost we are guaranteed.

6. Corey Perry*

Corey Perry* Guest

But when Hall, RNH, and Murray are asking for their 7 mil raise..... Oil fans go from :yo: to :cry:

7. Finlandia WOAT

Finlandia WOAT Bench Constance Garnett

a watchmaker
    They can't go anywhere but up.

8. oilersfan11

oilersfan11 Registered User

Ryan Murray = Future Scott Niedermayer

9. doubledown99

doubledown99 Registered User

It very well could happen........and that means another top pick (hello Yakupov/Grigorenko/Murray, etc).

American Dream you brought up the great point about it hurting the kids confidence --- I think that is why management and Horcoff (Captain) talked about bringing in some veterans this offseason to provide more leadership for the young guys. If some of them hit the dreaded sophmore slump, they'll need some guidance. The coaching staff was excellent this season but having some veterans will be very beneficial going forward to guide these young guns.

10. Grapes99

Grapes99 Registered User

If the scenario happens where the oilers cannot afford all the high end talent then you trade that talent for more first round picks. Good scouting can keep a team competitive for a long long time. In Stu we trust

11. McCanovin

McCanovin 1% is the new 11.5%

by that time, salary cap will increase drastically from the Nordiques and Jets and we will have no problem since Horcoff and Gilbert will hit the ditch. :sarcasm:

12. McCanovin

McCanovin 1% is the new 11.5%

I'd rather have Oilers pick somewhere between 4th-7th overall in 2012 and take Galchenyuk as our #2C and move one of Hemsky, Gagner or/and Omark + picks/prospects for a reliable Dman.

13. ZugNugget

ZugNugget Registered User

I'm banking on a sophomore slump. I think the Oilers need that 3rd lottery pick. A trade-up to grab Armia this year, and drafting Grigorenko/Galchenyuk next year would have the Top 6 absolutely set.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
    MPS-Grigorenko-Armia

All skill first line, tons of size and skill second line.

Also, as has been said, if the players get too expensive and the Oilers can't resign them, they'll get a ton of great assets for them. Plus, with so many players who can outperform ELCs/2nd contracts in a few years, they would have a great shot at a cup if they can shore up their defense/goaltending situation.

14. Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil English is Overrated, I Score Goals

I expect us to get a top 5 pick regardless. There is a possibility we move Hemsky as well, so who knows? The odds of us finishing dead last 3 years in a row are pretty slim, that said maybe we finish 3rd or 4th worst and then win the draft lottery :naughty:

15. OilerTyler

OilerTyler Fire MacT!

Curious, why do you think there is a chance we move Hemsky? Everyone in and around the Oilers organization seems to be stressing the importance of having a strong veteran presence on the team, so I can't imagine them trading one of the few veterans we have. We also have no suitable right wing replacement for Hemsky.

16. Bryanbryoil

I just get the feeling that we will be moving him at the draft or at the deadline if he is healthy. Eberle is a RW and Paajarvi can play the right side as well.

17. OilerTyler

OilerTyler Fire MacT!

But if Paajarvi moves to the right wing we are left with a gap on the left wing. Also, I'm not sure I would be comfortable with such an unexperienced top six. Right now, only half of our top six has played more than one season in the NHL. Two of those players are Gagner and Horcoff. Hemsky is our only top six winger with any sort of experience. It would probably be a good idea to hang onto him for mentoring purposes alone.

18. Bryanbryoil

Hall-Horcoff-Eberle
    Omark-RNH-Paajarvi

Not great by any stretch but we aren't going to be a playoff team anyway. Hemsky has experience however he's also missed a ton of games, it's hard to mentor guys on the ice when you are out for long stretches. I just see it as a real possibility that we move Hemsky, I could very well be wrong, time will tell.

19. OilerTyler

OilerTyler Fire MacT!

If it were up to me, I would have RNH in juniors next year and give Gagner another shot in the top six. He is only 21, no need to give up on him yet. I would also keep Hemsky and put Omark on the third line. It's inevitable that someone in the top six will get injured eventually and Omark will get another shot on one of the top two lines anyways.

Personally, I don't consider Omark a solution to our top six winger needs if we were to trade Hemsky. He could fill the gap for a season or two, but probably won't be good enough to be a top six winger on a cup contending team. He is just too one dimensional. I like him as a player, and he is a treat to watch, but he seems like one of those players that is caught in limbo. Not good enough to be a top six player on a contender, not big enough or skilled enough defensively to play in a bottom six role. Kind of like Schremp, who I know you are a fan of ;) (or at least used to be).

20. puckfan13

puckfan13 Registered User

It's a definite possibility. We'll just get another lottery pick, it can't get much worse than last year and the year before, trust me. Not much you can do about it aside from signing a few wily vets for the bottom-six that might be able to play up in case.

You have no choice but to give them increased responsibility and opportunity to fail if you want them to progress as players. If they fail, it's part of the developmental process. They do not have the proper mental make-up if a point slump in their second year "cripples" their confidence permanently. That's not a player that's gonna be on a cup contending team. Renney is not going to use scare tactics or scratch them, he'll let them play through their struggles if/when it happens.

21. Dread Clawz

Dread Clawz LAWSonic Boom

....then their young core will be the envy of the league.

22. bostonphoenix

bostonphoenix Registered User

I don't think Edm should get the 1st or very high overall pick if they finish last again. They've had enough time to become a semi-competitive team. It would seem to much like a tank to me.

23. Fourier

Fourier Registered User

Hemsky is not really the strong veteran presence though. He is rather shy away from the ice, and has never had any kind of mentorship role.

The Hall pick was a consequence of bad luck more so than any "tank". Injuries to pretty much every decent vet, forced them to ice a very young team. It also exposed the few vets they had left as being well past prime. The decision to go with a complete rebuild came at the end of the 2009-2010 season. So in fact they are all of one year into their rebuild.

They still have to decide what role players like Hemsky, Gagner, Cogliano, Gilbert, Smid and Brule will have going forward. In part this will depend somewhat on what they see out of guys like Marincin and Pitlick if they make the jump to the AHL. The big changes will probably be guys like Hartikainen or Lander or Vande Velde taking over from the JF Jacques and Colin Fraser's on the roster. As such 2011-2012 may well be very much the same for the Oilers as it was this year, which is fine by me.

One thing that gives me real optimism for the future is that the guys the Oilers are building around are individuals of very high character. This goes beyond Hall, Eberle and MPS and it includes kids like Hartikainen, Lander, and Hamilton who will be the potential future workhorses for the team. BY all accounts RNH seems to also be a great kid.

The plan is to build from within right now. They could trade their kids for some decent vets or they could overpay some marginal UFA. But in the latter case it would mean too much money and too much term becuase that is what it would take to get such a player to sign. Both of these might mean a few more spots in the standings short term but for the team's long term goals this would be counter productive.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  24. Injektilo

Injektilo Registered User

Future Team Guatemala hea
    Has anyone actually proved that the sophmore slump exists? Like, do a significant majority of rookies do significantly worse in their next year? And what reasons can there be for it? If it's just the coach giving them more responsibility, is that really a slump?

25. msv957

msv957 Registered User

I don't think the Oilers tanked the past (2) seasons. They just serious injuries to key players the last 2 seasons. It was very unfortunate but the silver lining is they get to have the first overall picks in each season which seems to be putting this re-build into warp speed.

It will be good to see a franchise with a great history hopefully become a great team again.