What if Crosby doesn't make his NHL team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
i believe at the draft rick nash was 181 pounds.

So, better to take a chance and potentially ruin his confidence (and thus potentially his career) if he is not ready to play against men?

i think you could make the case that joe thornton (just 7 points in 55 games) wasn't ready for the NHL at age 18.

same for vinny lecavalier (28 points in 82 games on a bad team).

crosby may have an advantage, since the bruins and lightning were not strong teams when they drafted their respective stars. crosby has probably a 25% chance of going to a powerhouse team (like colorado, detroit, philly, new jersey, dallas or the other contenders). with all the player movement that's sure to happen, crosby will likely end up on a decent team, even if it's in a place like phoenix or buffalo.

but even if he were to 'struggle' and not get 50 or 60 points, recently young, elite players haven't been that shaken by their first nhl campaigns.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
mattihp said:
He *might* be ready. Anyone who believes he's a surebet to be ready without even having played a game against men should be deemed ignorant.
I don't think the argument was originally about whether he would be "ready" or not. The fact is, barring some unusual and completely unexpected off-ice problem, he is a surebet to be playing against men next season. Ready or not. Ready doesn't really come into it. (Although of course, most people feel he is ready, although that's not really the point). #1 overall picks ARE ready. Practically by definition. Consider:

2004 - Ovechkin, played against men. (Was READY for the NHL too).
2003 - Fleury, played in the NHL.
2002 - Nash, straight into the NHL.
2001 - Kovalchuk, straight into the NHL.
2000 - Dipietro, straight into the NHL.
Stefan, Lecavalier, Thornton, Daigle, Hamrlik, Lindros, Nolan, Sundin, Modano, Turgeon... about the only ones in recent memory who didn't step immediately into pro hockey or play against men were the defensemen, Phillips, Berard, and Jovanoski (I think). And typically a handful of players below the #1 pick were playing against men after being drafted at 18 too. So it would really be a stretch to imagine that there's any chance Crosby won't be following in their footsteps. The question is, how many players picked *after* him will be ready?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Unless he needs to make the NHL All Star team on a non-popular vote basis "which his chances would still be decent", he's a lock to be in the NHL. He is solid offensively, defensively, has a great mind for the game, basically out-side of not being built like Lindros and not having the speed of a Fedorov, the kid is exceptional. I know that many don't like comparing him to Gretz, but I really am drawing blanks as to who to compare his style of play to out-side of #99. I'm not saying that he'll break Gretz's records, etc. but this kid is as special as what I've heard and seeing him finally was no disappointment. Barring injuries, I'd think that he could be top 5 or 10 in all time NHL scoring. Yeah he seems that good!!! I've also seem Ovechkin, and as for the debate of which of the 2 is better, Crosby for sure. Ovechkin will be a damn good player who can light the lamp, but Sid will be incredible.

stocktrader

Bryanbryoil said:
I've also seem Ovechkin, and as for the debate of which of the 2 is better, Crosby for sure. Ovechkin will be a damn good player who can light the lamp, but Sid will be incredible.
Yeah, I think even the Ovechkin lovers finally realise this. It is undeniable now.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
crosby will be in the nhl the only question is what kind of role he will have. will he step in and get real ice time or will he do like thornton and start on the 4th line and slowly move up.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Blind Gardien said:
about the only ones in recent memory who didn't step immediately into pro hockey or play against men were the defensemen, Phillips, Berard, and Jovanoski (I think).

and if i remember correctly phillips not jumping right to the nhl wasn't because he wasn't because he wasn't ready but because of the horrible family situation he had with one parent dying and the other losing their visions. i don't remember the details exactly but i think chris wanted to stay close to home to help take care of his younger siblings.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
stocktrader said:
Yeah, I think even the Ovechkin lovers finally realise this. It is undeniable now.

Only in your head, friend. If you were to ask which prospect was more NHL ready, Ovechkin or Crosby the answer is overwhelmingly Ovechkin. You know, the guy that led his MEN's National Team in scoring at 19 and won best forward at the last WJC. Let me ask you: Do you think Crosby will be leading Canada's World Cup team a year and a half from now? He was the 3rd best forward on his junior team.

When you watch these two play you're watching Ovechkin play against 30+ year old men and Crosby play against 16-17yr olds.

Crosby will be something very special but he's hardly a lock or even IMO the smart money to be better than Ovechkin or E. Malkin.

To answer the thread question- He will make his NHL team, regardless of who he plays for. He's good enough to at least earn a roster spot. I just don't expect a Danny Heatley like year out of him.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
People who don't know that Crosby will be in the NHL when it starts up don't quite understand his skill set. It's really as simple as that.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Crosby is only 18, I hope he does not play in the NHL next year. There is very few players that ever make an impersion in the league at 18 especially a player with this type of pressure.

stocktrader

EroCaps said:
Only in your head, friend. If you were to ask which prospect was more NHL ready, Ovechkin or Crosby the answer is overwhelmingly Ovechkin. You know, the guy that led his MEN's National Team in scoring at 19 and won best forward at the last WJC. Let me ask you: Do you think Crosby will be leading Canada's World Cup team a year and a half from now? He was the 3rd best forward on his junior team.

When you watch these two play you're watching Ovechkin play against 30+ year old men and Crosby play against 16-17yr olds.

Crosby will be something very special but he's hardly a lock or even IMO the smart money to be better than Ovechkin or E. Malkin.

To answer the thread question- He will make his NHL team, regardless of who he plays for. He's good enough to at least earn a roster spot. I just don't expect a Danny Heatley like year out of him.

Most of the Ovechkin lovers certainly realize this.

The fact that Ovechkin is 2 years older than Crosby and people want to debate about which is better today, tells me how superior Crosby is.

Why do you make misleading and silly statements like Crosby is doing it against 16-17 year olds. Most of the players are 18+.

Can we imagine comparing any 15 year olds to Crosby? The same thing as comparing Crosby to Ovechkin.

Not only comparing the two as players, but the maturity of Crosby is far greater than Ovechkin; Ovechkin disgraced himself at the WJC, constantly pointing at his name to the fans and taunting his opponents.

Let's just say Washington would gladly give up the Russian Ovechkin for the Canadian Crosby. I would bet everything I have on it and how can you blame them.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
crosby will be in the nhl the only question is what kind of role he will have. will he step in and get real ice time or will he do like thornton and start on the 4th line and slowly move up.

i think it'd probably be smart to start him out on the 3rd line or something...just to ease him in at least, instead of heaping all the pressure of being on the top line and being expected to score tons and deal with other teams top defensive players, etc. he can then show if he's ready for the top lines with his play.

just doesn't make sense to me to immediately throw him on the top line and say "ok we expect 100 points out of you" or something

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
stocktrader said:
Let's just say Washington would gladly give up the Russian Ovechkin for the Canadian Crosby. I would bet everything I have on it and how can you blame them.

As opposed to the Russian Crosby for the Canadian Ovechkin?

Comments like this is why I cheer against Canada.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
stocktrader said:
Most of the Ovechkin lovers certainly realize this.

The fact that Ovechkin is 2 years older than Crosby and people want to debate about which is better today, tells me how superior Crosby is.

Why do you make misleading and silly statements like Crosby is doing it against 16-17 year olds. Most of the players are 18+.

Can we imagine comparing any 15 year olds to Crosby? The same thing as comparing Crosby to Ovechkin.

Not only comparing the two as players, but the maturity of Crosby is far greater than Ovechkin; Ovechkin disgraced himself at the WJC, constantly pointing at his name to the fans and taunting his opponents.

:deadhorse

:clap:

Blind Gardien said:
I don't think the argument was originally about whether he would be "ready" or not. The fact is, barring some unusual and completely unexpected off-ice problem, he is a surebet to be playing against men next season. Ready or not. Ready doesn't really come into it. (Although of course, most people feel he is ready, although that's not really the point). #1 overall picks ARE ready. Practically by definition. Consider:

2004 - Ovechkin, played against men. (Was READY for the NHL too).
2003 - Fleury, played in the NHL.
2002 - Nash, straight into the NHL.
2001 - Kovalchuk, straight into the NHL.
2000 - Dipietro, straight into the NHL.
Stefan, Lecavalier, Thornton, Daigle, Hamrlik, Lindros, Nolan, Sundin, Modano, Turgeon... about the only ones in recent memory who didn't step immediately into pro hockey or play against men were the defensemen, Phillips, Berard, and Jovanoski (I think). And typically a handful of players below the #1 pick were playing against men after being drafted at 18 too. So it would really be a stretch to imagine that there's any chance Crosby won't be following in their footsteps. The question is, how many players picked *after* him will be ready?

And the only reason Berard didn't play was because of contract issues.

GoSSCHgo

Apr 3, 2005
Doomsday Device said:
And the only reason Berard didn't play was because of contract issues.

Hey, let's all wake up. Crosby will stay with his NHL club because they will be paying him the salary afforded a #1 draft choice over all (think signing bonus before you jump up in protest)

NHL teams may send First Round draft choices back to junior or the minors; but they never send top level salaries down. Ever.

That's like asking the GM, "When do you want to resign? This afternoon? Or after supper?" :)

habsfansam

Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere dark...?
I'm sure Crosby will play in the NHL: He's got NHL skills. I am not sure how well he will do... I won't be surprised if he pots 60+ points, but I expect that number to be much closer to 40pts. I also expect him to spend some quality time riding the pine and hanging out with the 3rd/4th line guys... unless he comes out and is well over 1ppg by the end of the first month.

More than for his skill, he'll play in the NHL because after a year of no/low-income for owners, having Crosby on the ice will put butts in the expensive seats, the cheap seats, and standing room if it's available. Also, merely having him on the roster will put fans in Sidney Crosby apparel. Crosby = $$$,$$$,$$$.$$

Can you just see the debate taking place in some lcuky GM's head...

"Man, Sid got his butt kicked yesterday... but it's our 10th sellout in a row and we sold out of 20,000 Crosby jerseys in 24hours. Gosh, Jim, I'm just not sure he can handle it... how about we send him back to junior, I get lynched by the fans, the media, the NHL, and other owners, not to mention getting axed from my cush job. At least then I can play more golf this year; my game was really rounding into form during the lockout."

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I think Crosby will play in the NHL, and will fit right in. He participated in off-ice training regiments for the past two years in Los Angeles, alongside many NHLers and has actually participated in on-ice sessions with NHL players (I believe Lemieux was one of the guys who commented on him). Even though some may question the significance of this, I think that the exposure to such regimes have put him in the NHL mindset for the past two seasons, and he understands the expectations and commitment that NHL players must have in things such as conditioning and work ethic. At least moreso than the majority of prospects.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
EroCaps said:

I guess it's in my head too. When I saw Ovechkin against the US in the WJC's, he was a very nice player, top notched potential, etc. That said, seeing Crosby in the Memorial Cup, there's no comparison. Crosby is the best young prospect out there bar none. Who would you rather have in their prime Kovalchuk or Forsberg??? If you like Kovalchuk I understand your point, if not, I'm not sure where you're coming from.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Bryanbryoil said:
I guess it's in my head too. When I saw Ovechkin against the US in the WJC's, he was a very nice player, top notched potential, etc. That said, seeing Crosby in the Memorial Cup, there's no comparison. Crosby is the best young prospect out there bar none. Who would you rather have in their prime Kovalchuk or Forsberg??? If you like Kovalchuk I understand your point, if not, I'm not sure where you're coming from.

I'm curious- what have you seen to bring you to these conclusions? Inquiring minds. :confused:

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
EroCaps said:

I'd like to point out that Crosby was only 17 on the top line of a WJC team that was playing a completely different game then Russia's junior team.

Much easier to be a star when your team is that much weaker .

I know it's not often the case with Russia and Canada, usually being pretty equal, but it sure was this year. The talent difference between the two teams was immense.

djtino224

May 12, 2005
Long Island
He's probably a sure bet to make whatever team drafts him. There is still that small chance he won't make the team, but that seems unlikely.

I haven't seen the kid play, yet. I'm just going by what I've heard, which has been a lot of good things.

KariyaIsGod*

EroCaps said:

Why?

Ovechkin got pounded at the World Juniors and he couldn't even take it. That was kids. One of those kids was Crosby.

Ovechkin has two years on the kid and he still couldn't handle it...

Imagine Crosby at 19... He will be exceeding Ovechkin if his pace continues...

Question though. Won't Crosby still be 17 at the start of next season? Is he even allowed to play in the NHL?

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
DrMoses said:
Why?

Ovechkin got pounded at the World Juniors and he couldn't even take it. That was kids. One of those kids was Crosby.

Ovechkin has two years on the kid and he still couldn't handle it...

Imagine Crosby at 19... He will be exceeding Ovechkin if his pace continues...

Question though. Won't Crosby still be 17 at the start of next season? Is he even allowed to play in the NHL?
he'll be 18 in august !

alecfromtherock

Feb 2, 2004
flambers said:
Crosby is only 18, I hope he does not play in the NHL next year. There is very few players that ever make an impersion in the league at 18 especially a player with this type of pressure.

Hockey careers have been shortened when players go into the NHL at 18.

Crosby has played against overagers in the Q, but even those players are 10+ years younger then NHL vets.

Based on some posters on this thread Crosby is going to score 168 points his rookie season:

Sure, he likely won't be as dominant, that only makes sense, but consider how PHYSICALLY dominant he has been, the immense lower-body strength he has demonstrated, it more than reasonable to assume he will be able to hold his own in that regard in the NHL.

For all of Crosby’s physical domination London completely shut him down in the finals of the Memorial Cup.

Regardless of the extra ‘attention’ Crosby receives from opposing players does he dominate(at the junior level) most one on one battle because of his physical strength?

Does any junior player compare to a ‘Joe Thornton’ physically? Even Crosby’s teammate that cost Rimouski any slight chance they had for the Memorial Cup(Neilson?) Is a puppy dawg(in scurfiness and ‘class’) compared to Thornton.

From the few games I have seen of Crosby(15+) he does not appear to be a fighter(ala boxing) and is usually ‘saved’ by his own teammates.

Skill is not the current game that is/was the NHL, it is going to take many a rule/game changes over a multitude of years to get any resemblance to the former NHL (Pre Great One Sellout).

As for the title thread, Crosby’s participation is irrelevant if the NHL resumes this season. No one player determines the fate of the game, nor have they said that is what they want to do.

Untested skill should be given a one year minium before passing final judgment.

Crosby does have skill but his agent seems content on nullifying any effect that skill could have on the NHL (suggesting suing the league for UFA status/ not playing in the NHL for a ‘lousy’ $850K max 4-year rookie contract)

Will Crosby’s agent demand $5M+ when any possible rookie salary cap restrictions are no longer applicable in year 5?

$850K to $5M, almost 6 times the maximum rookie salary cap.

$850K to the league minium of say $250K is a mere 3.4 times the base figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad