What if Bob did make a couple trades for this year

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
Because there is not much to talk about for a few days, lets do a what if scenario.

If the team surprises everyone and is actually a playoff team, lets assume for this post Bob is going to trade for a top 4 RD and a left wing for Getz. You have a two year window for Getz, and i think he may try one more time.

IF Bob is willing to trade the assets (whatever it may be), pick one from each group who you think would be available and make the Ducks a contender. This also assumes they are only two players away and they players going back are not part of the core.

I have no idea if these players are available (probably most arent), but I tried to choose some based on the contract and age (no young guys). Feel free to add your own player. I figured the top teams were probably not trading. Also, assume the other team could get players back, for example Sprong would go back potentially for the forward, Guhle for the D, plus prospects and/or picks.

My pick is Ristoainen and Hoffman

Hoffman-Getz-Terry
Rakell-Steel-Silf
Ritchie-Rico-Kase
Sherwood-Rowney-Grant

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Risto
Larsson-MDZ

Forwards
Foligno
Simmonds
Tatar
Nugent-Hopkins
Hoffman
Johansson
Pearson
Soderberg
Dzingel

Defense
Petry
Braun
Green
Shattenkirk
Stralman
Smith
Ristolainen
Goligoski
Tanev

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
You kind of have to ask yourself: “do any of the players you listed put the Ducks in the discussion with Vegas, Winnipeg, Boston, Tampa Bay, STL, Toronto, etc?”

To me the answer is clearly going to be a resounding no this season.

If we are going to be making a trade, you look for a top pairing defenseman that is under contract for 3 seasons or more. I wouldn’t settle on something less than that during a rebuilding year

Oct 18, 2011
I think one of my worst nightmares is for us to be a bubble team and watching Bob try to chase the 8th seed, He has missed opportunities to re-stock the asset pool recently because of this. If we're legit good ok that's one thing but if we're just average or whatever I hope he takes the long view

the one exception I think would be if he could bring in a sub 25 dman who is already top 4, or can grow into a top 4, to grow with the team moving forward

Reactions: Trojans86

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I think the hypothetical suggests that we're more than a bubble team. I'd be interested in Kreider at forward. D is a lot more tricky as there isn't anyone on that list that screams at me as a must have. That being said I'd probably look at Petry.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
A name on that list is D Pietrangelo from the Blues. He's 29 right now on a stacked RHD Blues team, which became stacked when the team traded for RHD Faulk. I'd kick my tires on Pietrangelo because he's set to be a free agent after this season. I wouldn't offer him a long term contract extension, but maybe a two year extension. Seeing Bob has a pattern of overpaying for defensemen, I probably would kick tires on Pietrangelo. He's a RHD who can eat up 24 minutes a game who also knows how to get into shooting lanes to block shots.

I don't know if we need another forward right now, considering all the potential being developed, but I'll be glad to take Pietrangelo this year and two more years, hopefully. Provided Kesler never returns to play hockey again, then the Ducks get an additional $6.875 for the 2020 and 2021 seasons. The Ducks could then afford Pietrangelo at a higher cost.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
A name on that list is D Pietrangelo from the Blues. He's 29 right now on a stacked RHD Blues team, which became stacked when the team traded for RHD Faulk. I'd kick my tires on Pietrangelo because he's set to be a free agent after this season. I wouldn't offer him a long term contract extension, but maybe a two year extension. Seeing Bob has a pattern of overpaying for defensemen, I probably would kick tires on Pietrangelo. He's a RHD who can eat up 24 minutes a game who also knows how to get into shooting lanes to block shots.

I don't know if we need another forward right now, considering all the potential being developed, but I'll be glad to take Pietrangelo this year and two more years, hopefully. Provided Kesler never returns to play hockey again, then the Ducks get an additional $6.875 for the 2020 and 2021 seasons. The Ducks could then afford Pietrangelo at a higher cost.
St Louis are not going to trade their captain and best defenceman, they are all in on another Cup run. And why would he sign a 2 year deal? He'll be getting a 6+ year deal from St Louis or in free agency, the guy's an elite defenceman.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
We should trade for Montour

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Id take cap dumps for assets, and maybe look to flip henrique at deadline if he has good value.

Even if the team is good enough to make playoffs were not good enough to win, so id avoid all in type moves.

Granted if we got risto i wouldnt be mad

Oct 18, 2011
St Louis are not going to trade their captain and best defenceman, they are all in on another Cup run. And why would he sign a 2 year deal? He'll be getting a 6+ year deal from St Louis or in free agency, the guy's an elite defenceman.
May I suggest that if the Ducks maintain their current salary position that they are going to potentially be one of the teams that makes a significant offer for him should he hit UFA?

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
May I suggest that if the Ducks maintain their current salary position that they are going to potentially be one of the teams that makes a significant offer for him should he hit UFA?
I don`t see it. We are not one of those teams who does these longterm FA acquisitions and I don`t see why Petro would be interested in signing with us for long term on a reasonable contract.

Maybe he has a brother who we can sign longterm? :sarcasm: (like Nieds)

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I'd love him here, but at same time, timing doesn't feel quite right to even try and make a big splash, we need to see what we have in terms of NHL level with Steel, Terry etc first. Now if in a few months time Steel and Terry are having huge seasons, that would make things more interesting.

Plus I could see teams like LA making him a ridiculous offer to try and speed up their rebuild if he hits FA.

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
I think one of my worst nightmares is for us to be a bubble team and watching Bob try to chase the 8th seed, He has missed opportunities to re-stock the asset pool recently because of this. If we're legit good ok that's one thing but if we're just average or whatever I hope he takes the long view

the one exception I think would be if he could bring in a sub 25 dman who is already top 4, or can grow into a top 4, to grow with the team moving forward
Been saying this for a while. Theres no point being mediocre. We need an alpha male type

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Because there is not much to talk about for a few days, lets do a what if scenario.

If the team surprises everyone and is actually a playoff team, lets assume for this post Bob is going to trade for a top 4 RD and a left wing for Getz. You have a two year window for Getz, and i think he may try one more time.

IF Bob is willing to trade the assets (whatever it may be), pick one from each group who you think would be available and make the Ducks a contender. This also assumes they are only two players away and they players going back are not part of the core.

I have no idea if these players are available (probably most arent), but I tried to choose some based on the contract and age (no young guys). Feel free to add your own player. I figured the top teams were probably not trading. Also, assume the other team could get players back, for example Sprong would go back potentially for the forward, Guhle for the D, plus prospects and/or picks.

My pick is Ristoainen and Hoffman

Hoffman-Getz-Terry
Rakell-Steel-Silf
Ritchie-Rico-Kase
Sherwood-Rowney-Grant

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Risto
Larsson-MDZ

Forwards
Foligno
Simmonds
Tatar
Nugent-Hopkins
Hoffman
Johansson
Pearson
Soderberg
Dzingel

Defense
Petry
Braun
Green
Shattenkirk
Stralman
Smith
Ristolainen
Goligoski
Tanev
Hoffman would not last playing for any team in California. The fans & people of California would protest him off the team, basicly the #MeToo movement.
Hoffman is better off staying in the south east part of the usa.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I'd love him here, but at same time, timing doesn't feel quite right to even try and make a big splash, we need to see what we have in terms of NHL level with Steel, Terry etc first. Now if in a few months time Steel and Terry are having huge seasons, that would make things more interesting.

Plus I could see teams like LA making him a ridiculous offer to try and speed up their rebuild if he hits FA.

Pietrangelo is a defenseman, a right-handed shooting defenseman (RHD), to be more precise. The Ducks don't have a defenseman in their prospect system that is on par with Pietrangelo. So acquiring Pietrangelo as an UFA wouldn't affect a Steel, Terry, Jones, Comtois, or Lundestrom as they're all forward prospects, not defensive ones.

So why is Pietrangelo a possibility? The Blues traded for Faulk, a 27 years old RHD, and gave him a 7-year extension at $6.5 mil recently. Pietrangelo is 29 years old and this is the last year of his contract, earning an AAV of $6.5 mil. There's talk that Pietrangelo will want more than $6.5 mil on his next contract, such as $9 mil a year contract. At age 30 when he becomes an UFA, the general age of drop off for skaters is around 33 years old.

Blues RD: Pietrangelo, Parayko, Faulk, Bortuzzo
Blues LD: Bowmeester (UFA in 2020, but will be age 37), Gunnarson, Dunn (this year is his last year on ELC)

St. Louis is projected to have about $15 mil cap space next year with two prominent players to try to re-sign (F Brayden Schenn currently making $5.1 mil AAV and D Pietrangelo) as well as four RFA's. Assume all six require raises. Schenn could as for $6 mil AAV or more since he's 3rd in Blues scoring. Pietrangelo would probably request for more than the current $6.5 mil as he's 5th in Blues scoring. Let's be conservative as say Pietrangelo is only asking for $7 mil. That means two players will cost $13 mil AAV in 2020, leaving a projected $2 mil for the four RFA's.

As of today, CapFriendly has the Blues having a projected $0.138 mil cap space. They have very little flexibility to their roster due to their cap situation.

Pietrangelo scored 41 (13, 28) points last year. Faulk scored 47 points (11g, 24a) last year. One could say that the trade for Faulk was going to be the long term solution for replacing Pietrangelo's production and cap (this is me not saying Faulk = Pietrangelo value b/c the Blues fans believe Parayko is the defenseman that moves up into Pietrangelo's spot and not Faulk). The Blues trading for Faulk makes sense in trying to repeat this season. Trading for Faulk doesn't make sense in the long term fiscal scope, unless one is expecting to lose Pietrangelo.

So offer a shorter deal, but higher AAV to Pietrangelo should he become an UFA. The Ducks have a project $17 mil available to them next year with all the core under contract save the rookies ending their ELC's this year such as Terry, Sherwood, Guhle, and Larsson. And if Kesler remains on the LTIR, then that frees up another $6.4 mil cap savings, for a possible total cap space of $24.4 mil in 2020.

For this exercise, I didn't like any of the defensemen on the list provided by the OP. So I thought outside the box, since it is simply an exercise. The Blues certainly were thinking outside the box when they traded for RHD Faulk b/c Faulk wasn't a need for the Blues. They Blues are capped today and will probably be over the cap next year if they retain all their players. While the possibility of acquiring Pietrangelo has a low probability (especially trading your captain to the same conference isn't ideal), this exercise had a premise of the "possibility of acquiring a top-4 RHD". Me adding context on increasing that probability is just for sheer fun, but there is truth in the context.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Piertrangelo next contract will be max length and expensive. He is a 29 year old elite defensemen, he is cashing out.

Henrique Iglesias

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada

I think that’s what he thinks he was doing when he acquired Guhle.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm glad he didn't. One way or another this team is shifting towards a new core and I think it makes more sense to see what that core develops into before you build around it. There shouldn't a hurry to push expendable assets for contender pieces until the team is realistically ready to contend. Ideally speaking you'd want to start acting before Gibson's prime expires but there's still plenty of time in that regard.

Faulk for that kind of money when he's really just a slightly more offensively talented Cam Fowler would have been a mistake. A mistake that would have done little, if anything, to put this team back in the playoff picture, and even less to lighten Gibson's workload that wouldn't have happened organically from whatever change Eakins brings.

EDIT: Lol do any of you really believe Pietrangelo is gonna end up here?

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I'm glad he didn't. One way or another this team is shifting towards a new core and I think it makes more sense to see what that core develops into before you build around it. There shouldn't a hurry to push expendable assets for contender pieces until the team is realistically ready to contend. Ideally speaking you'd want to start acting before Gibson's prime expires but there's still plenty of time in that regard.

Faulk for that kind of money when he's really just a slightly more offensively talented Cam Fowler would have been a mistake. A mistake that would have done little, if anything, to put this team back in the playoff picture, and even less to lighten Gibson's workload that wouldn't have happened organically from whatever change Eakins brings.

EDIT: Lol do any of you really believe Pietrangelo is gonna end up here?
All we have to do is offer him a 2-year deal and he's ours! Right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad