What if Bluegar can play 3C?

Strakanator

Sep 21, 2007
First off, that is a big what if. However, I think there is a chance Teddy could be a good 3C this year. Would he ever be given the chance if he shines during training camp/preseason?

Personally, I think he doesn’t get looked at this year due to the current roster. Hopefully, the year after he gets a shot. Anyone else high on him?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What if when he was called up last year, he was actually played a game?
What if we didn't trade Naslund for Stojanov?
What if Finkel wasn't Einhorn, what would the Pet Detective be like without that reveal?

Reactions: Gold Diamond

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
First off, that is a big what if. However, I think there is a chance Teddy could be a good 3C this year. Would he ever be given the chance if he shines during training camp/preseason?

Personally, I think he doesn’t get looked at this year due to the current roster. Hopefully, the year after he gets a shot. Anyone else high on him?

He’d have to beat out Brassard, Sheahan, Cullen and Grant on the depth chart.

tenor.gif

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He won't this year barring several injuries at center this year.
Like....Several.

Crosby
Malkin
Brassard
Sheahan
Cullen
Grant

Dude would need some epic Martin Straka type string of injuries to the last 4 names there to even get a shot and even then, Sully would probably just call him up and not use him anyway.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I know this team doesn't always treat young players fairly, but you have to think if JR thought Teddy was good enough to potentially be a 3C this year, he wouldn't have brought in Cullen and Grant.

Maybe they don't think he's all that good?

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Like....Several.

Crosby
Malkin
Brassard
Sheahan
Cullen
Grant

Dude would need some epic Martin Straka type string of injuries to the last 4 names there to even get a shot and even then, Sully would probably just call him up and not use him anyway.

On the Brightside, we'll have a top ten pick, if all that happens

JR still has a first rounder, right?

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I know this team doesn't always treat young players fairly, but you have to think if JR thought Teddy was good enough to potentially be a 3C this year, he wouldn't have brought in Cullen and Grant.

Maybe they don't think he's all that good?

Rutherford did explicitly say he thought Sundqvist was good enough for 4C right before bringing back Cullen to be 4C. And also that Jarry was good enough before bringing in Niemi. And less explicitly you could see that in Schultz and Pouliot, and probably a few others.

So I don't think this necessarily follows. Right now, Rutherford seems to be in love with depth and letting his prospects mature slowly. The move would fit. Hell, he was talking up ZAR not all that long ago, and Cullen and Grant arguably push him down to the AHL.

As for what happens if Bluegers does suddenly look like he can do it - that depends on everyone else. The logical step would seem to be it ends up with us trading one of Brassard/Sheahan/Hagelin to get value on expiring assets, but I don't think Rutherford's going to do that with anyone pulling their weight. I think he'd happily stock the depth and stick with the proven play-off guys as long as possible.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Rutherford did explicitly say he thought Sundqvist was good enough for 4C right before bringing back Cullen to be 4C. And also that Jarry was good enough before bringing in Niemi. And less explicitly you could see that in Schultz and Pouliot, and probably a few others.

So I don't think this necessarily follows. Right now, Rutherford seems to be in love with depth and letting his prospects mature slowly. The move would fit. Hell, he was talking up ZAR not all that long ago, and Cullen and Grant arguably push him down to the AHL.

As for what happens if Bluegers does suddenly look like he can do it - that depends on everyone else. The logical step would seem to be it ends up with us trading one of Brassard/Sheahan/Hagelin to get value on expiring assets, but I don't think Rutherford's going to do that with anyone pulling their weight. I think he'd happily stock the depth and stick with the proven play-off guys as long as possible.

He said that and then 2 years later dumped Sunny for Reaves. So...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He said that and then 2 years later dumped Sunny for Reaves. So...

That doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't sincere at the time. It may mean he was wrong about Sundqvist's ability to play Sully's system. And lord knows a great many sincere nice things have been said about players by sporting executives shortly before it became convenient to trade them.

But regardless, he was dead right about Jarry. Delete Sundqvist as an example if you will and the rest of the post stands extant.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
A more reasonable timeline would be spot duty when injury strikes this year, and then maybe 4C next year.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
That doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't sincere at the time. It may mean he was wrong about Sundqvist's ability to play Sully's system. And lord knows a great many sincere nice things have been said about players by sporting executives shortly before it became convenient to trade them.

But regardless, he was dead right about Jarry. Delete Sundqvist as an example if you will and the rest of the post stands extant.

All I'm saying is there is a reason Blueger hasn't gotten NHL games yet, even on a team that last year had Greg McKegg as their 3C for a month.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
All I'm saying is there is a reason Blueger hasn't gotten NHL games yet, even on a team that last year had Greg McKegg as their 3C for a month.

That's certainly true - I just think you're on shaky ground if you want to use Rutherford recruiting other players as reason to think he's not rated.

Most of the journos are now saying he chased the puck too much in last training camp, for what its worth, so I suspect that was part of it.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
That's certainly true - I just think you're on shaky ground if you want to use Rutherford recruiting other players as reason to think he's not rated.

Most of the journos are now saying he chased the puck too much in last training camp, for what its worth, so I suspect that was part of it.

Fair enough. I just have to question why he hasn't been given a chance in the NHL yet if he has a legitimate chance to be a 3C in the NHL. Sometimes that happens with young prospects, but he's had 4 years of college and 2 full seasons in the AHL. If he's going to make the jump to NHL'er, it's gotta happen this year or next at the latest IMO.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Fair enough. I just have to question why he hasn't been given a chance in the NHL yet if he has a legitimate chance to be a 3C in the NHL. Sometimes that happens with young prospects, but he's had 4 years of college and 2 full seasons in the AHL. If he's going to make the jump to NHL'er, it's gotta happen this year or next at the latest IMO.

Fair. I'd agree his history has me pretty darn skeptical, although at least he is trending upwards.

Reactions: Shady Machine

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

Probably would have gotten a legitimate chance if last year didnt play out the way it did. JR decided not to sign depth at C. And relying on rookies for later in the year thinking theyd pull a Rust and Sheary in the playoffs. Going with Rowney at 4C half the season(Blueger should have gotten his chance then) and then with injuries when the playoffs started us having no depth, Blueger getting no experience so no playoff games.

So he did the exact opposite this year. Making sure theres plenty of depth this time and not relying on rookies. Unless one/two force their way into the lineup like Guentzel did and never look back, they will take their time with them until some contracts are up( giving us a better shot to win it all right now).

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Probably would have gotten a legitimate chance if last year didnt play out the way it did. JR decided not to sign depth at C. And relying on rookies for later in the year thinking theyd pull a Rust and Sheary in the playoffs. Going with Rowney at 4C half the season(Blueger should have gotten his chance then) and then with injuries when the playoffs started us having no depth, Blueger getting no experience so no playoff games.

So he did the exact opposite this year. Making sure theres plenty of depth this time and not relying on rookies. Unless one/two force their way into the lineup like Guentzel did and never look back, they will take their time with them until some contracts are up( giving us a better shot to win it all right now).

Blueger not getting experience is Sullivan's own doing.

1. They called him up and Dea.
2. Sullivan didn't like Dea, but kept playing him.
3. Blueger was literally called up for no f***ing reason.
4. Now people are going to accuse me of being a Sully hater.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Blueger not getting experience is Sullivan's own doing.

1. They called him up and Dea.
2. Sullivan didn't like Dea, but kept playing him.
3. Blueger was literally called up for no ****ing reason.
4. Now people are going to accuse me of being a Sully hater.

Yeah, but a clearly injured Carter f***ing Rowney needed games. Having no idea about Blueger at the nhl level is on Sullivan and him finding his Adams.

Sullivan really needs to look at some of the shit he did last season and decide if that’s the path he wants to take.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah, but a clearly injured Carter ****ing Rowney needed games. Having no idea about Blueger at the nhl level is on Sullivan and him finding his Adams.

Sullivan really needs to look at some of the **** he did last season and decide if that’s the path he wants to take.
RyxKXp9.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad