What if Avs had used McKenzies draft rankings instead of Pracey since 2009?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Just for fun I decided to see how Avs drafting would have looked if they had, instead of using our scouts, just picked the highest still available player in the McKenzie final ranking. Since those rankings only go to 60-75 players, this parallel draft universe only stretch through the first three rounds.

Are you happy with what we actually got instead of what McKenzie's list would have had us draft?

Avs drafted:
#3 Matt Duchene (C/LW)
#33 Ryan O'Reilly (C/LW)
#49 Stefan Elliott (D)
#64 Tyson Barrie (D)

McKenzie list drafted:
#3 Matt Duchene (C/LW) Ranked 3rd.
#33 Ryan O'Reilly (C/LW) Ranked 27th.
#49 Stefan Elliott (D) Ranked 35th.
#64 Joonas Nättinen (C) Ranked 36th.

Avs drafted:
#17 Joey Hishon (C)
#49 Calvin Pickard (G)
#71 Michaël Bournival (C/LW)

McKenzie list drafted:
#17 Austin Watson (RW/LW) Ranked 14th.
#49 Calvin Pickard (G) Ranked 31st.
#71 Stanislav Galiev (C) Ranked 40th.

Avs drafted:
#2 Gabriel Landeskog (LW/RW)
#11 Duncan Siemens (D)

McKenzie list drafted:
#2 Adam Larsson (D) Ranked 2nd.
#11 Ryan Murphy (D) Ranked 8th.

Avs drafted:
#41 Mitchell Heard (C/LW)
#72 Troy Bourke (C/LW)

McKenzie list drafted:
#41 Martin Frk (C/LW) Ranked 32nd.
#72 Daniil Zharkov (LW) Ranked 47th.

Avs drafted:
#1 Nathan MacKinnon (C/RW)
#32 Chris Bigras (D)
#63 Spencer Martin (G)

McKenzie list drafted:
#1 Nathan MacKinnon (C/RW) Ranked 1st.
#32 Zach Fucale (G) Ranked 19th.
#63 Oliver Björkstrand (LW) Ranked 52nd.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Head assploded.... :help:

Honestly it's mixed bag, the big no no one or me is Landeskog vs Larsson.

Also hate the Frk vs Heard, we shat the bed on that one IMO. Honestly it's not that big of a deal though.

Barrie at #64 & O'Reilly at #33 is almost highway robbery. We've made the better choices at the higher end of the drafts, which is where it counts IMO.

When you miss on a top 5 pick, it hurts a hell of a lot more than missing on a mid/late first or later.

I would be livid watching Landeskog on another team to be honest.

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Go with Bob's rankings in 2012 and Björkstrand over Martin last year.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Barrie instead of Nättinen and Landy instead of Larsson. I'm ok with this.

Too early to tell for the others IMO.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Avs. The ones the Avs got right were far more important than the ones Bobby Mack got right. I'd like Watson over hishon or frk over heard but not nearly as much as I prefer Landeskog over larsson or Barrie over nattinen.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

All this O'Reilly is overrated talk had me decide to see where he was ranked on the McKenzie list back then since it's known to be a pretty good ranking and when I saw that he would have been our second round pick using that ranking, I decided to compile it for all Pracey drafts. I had the data on my computer for a while before I got around to calculate it.

Of course with every Avs pick in the first three rounds with Pracey as head scout coming from CHL, perhaps we have an intern here too...

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
When it comes to drafting you have to put things in perspective. It's not easy drafting 17-18 year olds.

I think top three picks, you have to nail. You simply can't get it wrong. The other picks in the top 10 you have to get a NHL player. You can't draft Scott Glennie. Rest of round one and later, every team will get them wrong from time to time. I don't have a problem with Heard (and even he can turn into a role player in the NHL).

When you, like Oilers and Canucks, get nothing in rounds two and three for a long stretch of time, that's when you have a drafting problem. When you keep finding good players there, like Chicago, that's when you start building a team that has staying power.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Avs did better:

Barrie > Nättinen
Bournival > Galiev
Landeskog > Larsson

Avs did worse:

Watson > Hishon (Bordering on roughly equal, Watson would add a lot of size that the Avs now desire)
Frk > Heard

The rest are roughly equal or have yet to be decided.

I'll say that I would rather have had #11 on Bob's list in 2011 than Siemens with hindsight being 20/20 (Beaulieu).

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Team Pracey:
Hishon, Bournival, Landeskog, Heard, Bourke
Barrie, Siemens, Bigras
Martin

Team MacKenzie:
Nättinen, Galiev, Watson, Frk, Zharkov, Björkstrand
Larsson, Murphy
Fucale

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
So many players I would take over Heard, Bjorkstrand instead of Martin would be awesome as well.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
When it comes to drafting you have to put things in perspective. It's not easy drafting 17-18 year olds.

I think top three picks, you have to nail. You simply can't get it wrong. The other picks in the top 10 you have to get a NHL player. You can't draft Scott Glennie. Rest of round one and later, every team will get them wrong from time to time. I don't have a problem with Heard (and even he can turn into a role player in the NHL).

When you, like Oilers and Canucks, get nothing in rounds two and three for a long stretch of time, that's when you have a drafting problem. When you keep finding good players there, like Chicago, that's when you start building a team that has staying power.

Interestingly, Kings/Hawks both ****ed up top 4 picks (Hickey, Barker) and are still dominant, thanks to their other picks/signings/trades.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Interestingly, Kings/Hawks both ****ed up top 4 picks (Hickey, Barker) and are still dominant, thanks to their other picks/signings/trades.

Kings are a weird team because they've made their fair share of mistakes. They whiffed on Hickey, Teubert and perhaps Forbort in the first half of the first round. They've let Moulson and Purcell go for nothing.

But when you have drafted Quick, Doughty and Kopitar you have a backbone to build around. They've added UFAs at the right points (Mitchell, Stoll, Williams) and the previously passive Lombardi finally traded for big names in Carter/Richards to get them over the top. Many of their role players are players they have drafted, so they don't have to overpay for them in free agency.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
stat sheet draft pick team since 2000

e. kane-giroux-williams
ROR-dubinsky-gallagher/toffoli/strome
laich-vermette-gallagher/toffoli/strome
clutterbuck/latendresse-stajan-pageau
richardson

boychuk-subban
wisniewski-barrie
y. weber-murphy
rome
elliott
gaunce
cumiskey

budaj
grubauer
janus

others kyle wellwood, oscar möller, matt halischuk, drouin

avs draft pick team since 2000

ROR-duchene-stewart
landeskog-stastny-mack
bournival-richardson-jones
galiardi-hishon-malone
carey

barrie-boychuk
liles-shatty
siemens/bigras-gilbert
elliott
cumiskey
gaunce

budaj
aitto

others svatos, wolski

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
While Landeskog/Duchene are better than Kane/Strome getting Giroux/Subban would more than make up for it.

You're fired, Pracey.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Avs did better:

Barrie > Nättinen
Bournival > Galiev
Landeskog > Larsson

Avs did worse:

Watson > Hishon (Bordering on roughly equal, Watson would add a lot of size that the Avs now desire)
Frk > Heard

The rest are roughly equal or have yet to be decided.

I'll say that I would rather have had #11 on Bob's list in 2011 than Siemens with hindsight being 20/20 (Beaulieu).

Pretty surprised to see how good McKenzie's rankings are. Of course there could have been better selections (just like any team), but the talent level drop off is really not that huge. Only one where I can see a legitimate drop is between Frk and Heard. Though Heard did have a fantastic training camp showed people there how he can really play like. A fantastic 3rd line centre with Roussel type of qualities. Don't think he will be that great of a goalscorer though.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
In the case of Frk, who knows if and how strong there was a mandate not to draft Euros with high picks.

The jury is still out on 2012 anyway, but you can practically count Varly as the 1st rounder that year. Kind of like reviewing the Broncos '83 draft thinking of Chris Hinton as their pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad