What If Anything do the Isles do about Goaltending???

It Was 4 to 1*

Mar 22, 2009
Not improving the team through trade, including at net shows that Snow has no desire to take risks. I'm sorry, but I cannot believe that Matt frigging Frattin was an impossible barrier. Come on.

As for free agency, Snow easily could have acquired a legitimate backup, he just didn't.

This is the league's most underrated GM at work.

http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/free-agents/2013-nhl-free-agent-goalies/

again please tell me which of these (aside from the goalies who re-signed with their original team) is a CLEAR upgrade on poulin/nilsson? the only argument you have is khudobin, who hadn't proven much in the nhl except that he can post good numbers behind an elite bruins defense.

and yes matt frattin was the difference, he's cheaper and better than nino. whether or not nino will turn out to be better is to be determined but for a cup contender like the kings, they'd take the proven player every time.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

again please tell me which of these (aside from the goalies who re-signed with their original team) is a CLEAR upgrade on poulin/nilsson? the only argument you have is khudobin, who hadn't proven much in the nhl except that he can post good numbers behind an elite bruins defense.

and yes matt frattin was the difference, he's cheaper and better than nino. whether or not nino will turn out to be better is to be determined but for a cup contender like the kings, they'd take the proven player every time.

I agree with your assessment.

A lot of fans notice the needs of a team and think it should automatically be addressed in some manner. I'd rather management take their time and make the right moves on the right players, instead of just throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks.

I'm pissed we don't have a real #1, but if they are going to roll with Nabby for this year alone and address the issue as we move closer to being a true contender, I'm okay with that.

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
its Obvious Poulin is not ready, and he may never be.

how is it "obvious poulin is not ready" after hes played a whopping one game? and he didnt look too bad in that game. a little crazy and erratic at times, but there was a guy that played for chicago, buffalo, and detroit who was the most erratic goalie ive ever seen. and he had a pretty damned good career. if poulin turns out to be half as good as that guy, i dont care if hes ten times as erratic as he was.

i dont need to see a goal tending "clinic" when i watch him play, and i dont need to see high lite reel saves......what i do need to see out of the goalie is him doing his damned job. AND IM NOT SEEING THAT FROM NABAKOV.

put the kid in there and let him run with it.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
I agree with your assessment.

A lot of fans notice the needs of a team and think it should automatically be addressed in some manner. I'd rather management take their time and make the right moves on the right players, instead of just throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks.

I'm pissed we don't have a real #1, but if they are going to roll with Nabby for this year alone and address the issue as we move closer to being a true contender, I'm okay with that.

the problem is, is that people think that if we made the appropriate moves this offseason (starting goalie and LEGIT top 4 D), we could be a contender now

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
how is it "obvious poulin is not ready" after hes played a whopping one game? and he didnt look too bad in that game. a little crazy and erratic at times, but there was a guy that played for chicago, buffalo, and detroit who was the most erratic goalie ive ever seen. and he had a pretty damned good career. if poulin turns out to be half as good as that guy, i dont care if hes ten times as erratic as he was.

i dont need to see a goal tending "clinic" when i watch him play, and i dont need to see high lite reel saves......what i do need to see out of the goalie is him doing his damned job. AND IM NOT SEEING THAT FROM NABAKOV.

whoa, whoa, whoa.....are you really comparing poulin to hasek? please stop right now

KnishOfTheCrease

Chez Pierre Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2010
Las Vegas
HOLD ON FOLKS! It's official, we're on Ecklunds list of rumored teams interested in Miller...real soon. Along with Anaheim, Carolina, Nashville, Washington & Tampa.

MTK

Sep 26, 2007
West Islip

I agree with this in regards to Poulin, he has not been given a chance for anyone to decide if he is not ready. Its better to figure this out in Oct/Nov if he can handle the NHL than Feb/April.

If he doesn't play well, we bring up Nilsson as the back up and see how he plays. I do not expect Snow to address this need right away as its a little to early to hit the panic button.

scott99

May 13, 2005

again please tell me which of these (aside from the goalies who re-signed with their original team) is a CLEAR upgrade on poulin/nilsson? the only argument you have is khudobin, who hadn't proven much in the nhl except that he can post good numbers behind an elite bruins defense. and yes matt frattin was the difference, he's cheaper and better than nino. whether or not nino will turn out to be better is to be determined but for a cup contender like the kings, they'd take the proven player every time.

Khudobin's numbers this year are better behind the NOT SO ELITE Hurricanes defense. He's about to make himself a rich man. With Ward out the next 3-4 weeks, he will have to carry the Hurricanes. If he keeps playing as well as he is, the one year, 850k he made last year will be a joke compared to his next contract. For Pete's sake, the guy has a career 2.03 and .932 sp with a 16-5-0-1 record in the NHL, if he sucked, those numbers would be a lot worse.

Last edited:

DktrFaustus

Dec 22, 2011
brooklyn
i wish nilsson was up instead of poulin, but it's probably better he's getting the playing time with the amount of games we're giving poulin anyway.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
the problem is, is that people think that if we made the appropriate moves this offseason (starting goalie and LEGIT top 4 D), we could be a contender now

Right. Other than those things, I don't see why wouldn't be as good as Ottawa, for example.

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
Khudobin's numbers this year are better behind the NOT SO ELITE Hurricanes defense. He's about to make himself a rich man. With Ward out the next 3-4 weeks, he will have to carry the Hurricanes.
Khudobin is also injured, as far as I know he isn't even back to skating yet.

Miller will not cost much. Not understanding why the islanders haven't inquired.
Someone better tell the Sabres that. They have reportedly been asking for a king's ransom, hoping a desperate team will overpay for the pending UFA.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Miller will not cost much. Not understanding why the islanders haven't inquired.

His cost is gonna be driven by goaltending injuries in the league and the status of goaltending at the deadline for so-called contending teams.

BUF is such a train wreck, they sort of have no choice but to wait out the above AND eat millions in salary to 'wait for the best deal.'

It's too early in the season for teams to take on his salary/cap hit too.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
His cost is gonna be driven by goaltending injuries in the league and the status of goaltending at the deadline for so-called contending teams.

BUF is such a train wreck, they sort of have no choice but to wait out the above AND eat millions in salary to 'wait for the best deal.'

It's too early in the season for teams to take on his salary/cap hit too.

Since they have turned into a losing circus the owner may get fed up and demand moves soon. I expect the coach to get axed shortly, and knowing Miller's opinion on goon hockey, and the Scott and Kaleta act, Ryan is likely asking to get moved asap behind the scenes. It makes sense based on his self perception... so maybe we get a kick at the can before December. Or maybe he has us on his do not call list. Probably...

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Frederik Andersen just signed a 2 year contract with Anaheim, which possibly means that Anaheim is ready to let either Hiller or Fasth go.
Since Hiller is UFA from next season if they want something for him, it's probably now (or at least when Fasth are back from injury)

So does either have the interest and what are Islanders willing to give (and what does Anaheim want in return)? Any thoughts?

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Frederik Andersen just signed a 2 year contract with Anaheim, which possibly means that Anaheim is ready to let either Hiller or Fasth go.
Since Hiller is UFA from next season if they want something for him, it's probably now (or at least when Fasth are back from injury)

So does either have the interest and what are Islanders willing to give (and what does Anaheim want in return)? Any thoughts?

Probably Hiller, and probably after Fast is back. Anyone know Fasth's timetable?

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
Bryz has zero leverage and no one wants him. So, no need to give him anything more than a 1yr contract.

My question is: What do the Isles do if Nabokov gets injured????

I was saying two years low $. this way if he plays good we are of for two seasons and not in the same trouble looking again.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005

Here we have the best farm system evah, and we can't do better than matt frattin and ben scrivens. As if there are no commodities that allow one to buy what one wants from other organizations even if we don't have *exactly* what they're looking for.

Whatever. This argument is dumb. The issue is Snow's willingness to take risks and pay the price to improve. That's where the issue is. Not Matt Friggin' Frattin.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Khudobin is also injured, as far as I know he isn't even back to skating yet.

Someone better tell the Sabres that. They have reportedly been asking for a king's ransom, hoping a desperate team will overpay for the pending UFA.

Khudobin is supposed to come back 10/29 according to the Canes coach. Should still be able to play a bunch of games until Ward comes back.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Here we have the best farm system evah, and we can't do better than matt frattin and ben scrivens. As if there are no commodities that allow one to buy what one wants from other organizations even if we don't have *exactly* what they're looking for.

Whatever. This argument is dumb. The issue is Snow's willingness to take risks and pay the price to improve. That's where the issue is. Not Matt Friggin' Frattin.

Have to agree with this. Snow/Wang aren't going to spend any money or assets to make this team better possibly until the 2014-15 offseason. I doubt they touch any of the high profile goalies THIS offseason. IF Poulin plays well (which I'm sure we are all hoping he does) and Nilsson starts to play better in Bridgeport (which I'm sure we are all hoping he does), those will be your Islander's goalies next season. Remember, the Isles made the playoffs last season, that buys Wang some time as far as NOT spending money/assets to make the team better, "This is a playoff team, I have faith in our great team", in reality, Wang means "Phew, thank God they made the playoffs, now I don't have to spend MY money to make the team better."

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

You would be the first one throwing a tantrum if the Islanders traded Bailey, Nilsson and a 2nd rounder for Bernier (as if that would have gotten it done anyway). Then you would have reminded us incessantly how stupid it is going into the season with two rookies in net. At least you would have been right about the second part.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

KnishOfTheCrease

Chez Pierre Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2010
Las Vegas
Anaheim MIGHT let Hiller go for cheaper if they're confident in Fasth going through the season once healthy. They have Gibson being groomed for the future.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
It was Frattin, with salary retained, plus a backup goalie, which we all know the Isles don't have (see below).

This was the real problem. If Nabokov was the best starter available, bring in Khudobin or Greiss both young, proven backups. The Isles should have been an attractive fit, with a 38 year old goalie signed to a 1-year deal as the starter there would obviously be lots of room for a good backup to prove themself. Instead, they both went to teams with a proven starter signed to a long-term deal.

The Kings also got money from the Leafs, something Wang would never send in a deal.

"The NHL trade market began to heat up Sunday afternoon when the Toronto Maple Leafs acquired goalie Jonathan Bernier from the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for winger Matt Frattin, goalie Ben Scrivens, Toronto’s second-round draft pick in either 2014 or 2015 and $500,000 in salary cap space. In the instant-reaction world of social media, many Leafs supporters quickly rushed to rip the deal, lamenting both the price Leafs GM Dave Nonis paid for Bernier as well as the effect it would have on last season’s starting goalie, James Reimer."

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad