Line Combos: What if...Alex Galchenyuk is ready

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
It's tough. I don't see where he fits now. I thought he'd be a good replacement for Bourque, but Bourque has played too well.

I don't see Galchenyuk replacing Prust. No way. Prust is trusted in a defensive role next to Plekanec. That's not the line for Galchenyuk. The only thing I can think of is: put Galchenyuk with Eller and Bourque, and put Gionta with Plekanec instead of Prust. Gionta is trusted too, so that works. Then Prust goes to the fourth line.

Problem there is that both Gionta and Gallagher are RWs.

But that's the only way to do things, I think.

EDIT: another idea is to keep the top three lines intact, and put Galchenyuk on the fourth line with Briere in place of either Bournival or Weise. Make that fourth line into a scoring line, since the team already has two solid defensive lines that are more trustworthy as it is.

Last edited:

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Briere would be the easiest stylistic replacement.

However, he's been playing well, he's got lots of PO experience, his line has chemistry, and he's still better defensively than Galchenyuk. I wouldn't put him back in the lineup for this series (unless Prust needs some time to recover).

If we play Boston, we need Weise/Moen/Prust/Bournival in the lineup for their defensive and physical ability.
If we play Detroit, it might not be the worst idea to sit Weise/Prust and have Galchenyuk take their spot.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
You just cannot sit Prust if we face the Bruins. As crazy as it sounds, I rather have him on the 2nd line to protect Gallagher than Galchenyuk.

So it's either Weise or Bournival that will get the boot.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Bournival. I think people are getting blinded by current series record if they think Galchenyuk shouldn't be an auto-add to lineup if healthy.

You can't bench Briere since playoffs is the only reason he was signed and Weise brings the size/physicality and scored GWG. Not sure how this is even a question...Galchenyuk is the team's 3rd best powerplay point producer and showed last playoffs he can raise his play in playoffs.

Injuries are inevitable. Habs have been indeed lucky but that will last only so long. If the team plans on going far, you at the very least need his feet wet to be ready. Secondary scoring is huge in the playoffs and having players to get hot once the current hot streak players cool off is key. Galchenyuk is one of those players that can get hot. Bournival on the 4th line getting 7-9 min/game? Not so much.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Bournival. I think people are getting blinded by current series record if they think Galchenyuk shouldn't be an auto-add to lineup if healthy.

You can't bench Briere since playoffs is the only reason he was signed and Weise brings the size/physicality and scored GWG. Not sure how this is even a question...Galchenyuk is the team's 3rd best powerplay point producer and showed last playoffs he can raise his play in playoffs.

Injuries are inevitable. Habs have been indeed lucky but that will last only so long. If the team plans on going far, you at the very least need his feet wet to be ready. Secondary scoring is huge in the playoffs and having players to get hot once the current hot streak players cool off is key. Galchenyuk is one of those players that can get hot. Bournival on the 4th line getting 7-9 min/game? Not so much.

Bournival is a better defensive player and brings a little more speed and physicality to the lineup. He's absolutely got a place on the team. It really depends on if we play Boston or Detroit IMO.

McGuires Corndog

Marc Bergevin juju exorcist
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Bournival is a better defensive player and brings a little more speed and physicality to the lineup. He's absolutely got a place on the team. It really depends on if we play Boston or Detroit IMO.

It has merits, have to agree.

That said Galchenyuk brings a lot more to the team than Bournival, AINEC. Immediately the Plekanec line becomes a credible scoring threat with Alex back. Were going to need that depth and the ability to score if we are going to have a long run. If we are that bent on keeping Bourny in then we take out Weise or Prust(who is still injured IMO).

eFFeRR

Major League Hockey
Dec 11, 2013
I think Weise goes. He doesn't add a whole lot of toughness. He throws the body every now and then but wouldn't dare drop the gloves with anyone on Boston and would probably get over-matched physically.

You could make a case to scratch Briere. He would get dominated physically but if we get playoff-Briere then there is no way we scratch this guy.

If we play Detroit, the answer is still Weise, it's just a much easier decision to make.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
hate to say it but I say thinking it's going to make him a better player. Let him fight for his spot with Bournival/Bourque/Eller. Let's not forget what some of these guys gave us in the regular season. Bounival is the most likely to falter here and that's fine.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Against Boston, you need talent, grit and speed. And in essence, Brière doesn't have the grit or the speed. Might have the talent....but Galchy is ahead of him in that departement. Yet...one other thing that will play out in favor of Brière...experience. Wouldn't be surprised to see Galchy sitting out at the start....to come back if we lose.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
Against Boston, you need talent, grit and speed. And in essence, Brière doesn't have the grit or the speed. Might have the talent....but Galchy is ahead of him in that departement. Yet...one other thing that will play out in favor of Brière...experience. Wouldn't be surprised to see Galchy sitting out at the start....to come back if we lose.

Good point but Galchenyuk on the 4th line? Why not if it's at center.

Bournival-Chucky-Weise?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Good point but Galchenyuk on the 4th line? Why not if it's at center.

Bournival-Chucky-Weise?

You know that Moen will get right back in too. Weise and Bournival will surely amongst the first ones to sit. Not that I agree though....

Mats NAslund

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I would think it would be Briere, Weise or Bournival to sit (rookie) It's a toss up!
I like both players but IF Montreal gets past TB they will need Weise's gritt more then Bournival's talent both are very quick skates and are strong / aggressive on the puck.

Prust has not been very good on that second line....

Pac DD Vanek
Gallagher Plekenec Galchenyuk
Bourque Eller Gionta
Prust Briere Weise

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->