What I see

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
My interpretation of where the Habs are at. I think they are a bubble playoff team that suffers terribly in the size dept. None of the small players lack work or try but are simply too small to be on a team that carries so many of them. A lot of teams could carry DD, no cup teams mind you, but on a big team he is a luxury that can be afforded to carry. When you have three or four all on the same team it leads to problems, lack of net presence being one. I find it ironic that our best net presence comes from a player that is very small and am worried that he will not be able to maintain the way he plays for very long.

Our defense is in a much better state with some large boys a year or two away from making a difference. I would extend Markov, I think his teaching value will be huge with the youngsters coming. PK will only get better and I like Markov taking some of the pressure off of PK.

If we slide out of the playoff picture I would move Plec, he is the one player that can bring a good return. I would also try and tie a small player into whatever trade is made. DD I would let go for an abasive vet, Chris Neil is getting a bit long in the tooth and Ottawa might be tempted to move him for a couple of small skilled guys, DD and Gionta. Dare to dream! I do think we need a vet that has a little sand paper to his game and has been a winner, a little direction so to speak.

Top six wingers with size don’t get moved often, we need one and there doesn’t look to be one in the pipeline. Plecs and Gionta traded for a package of nice picks would certainly net us a nice short term tank with the benefit of pushing Eller and Gally into their role on the team sooner. A high draft pick and some more prospects with size would help in the window we are looking at to be a contender. Eller and Gally are centers that you can win it all with as are Price and PK. We have some very nice 3rd and 4th line guys that are very young, and as I said our defence looks to solid for years after a one or two year learning period.

I hate that the team feels the need to have a French speaking coach, our next coach will be an important one and I feel we need to get the best that is available to win the cup, if not then all the rest seems to be spinning wheels.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
LOL. No one wants DD, no one. We couldn't even trade him for nothing in return. The only team that values DD is our sorry team.

Gionta can be moved at the deadline for a team looking for playoff help.

CHwest

May 24, 2011
If we do make a trade I would try and throw DD as a bonus. Kind of give him and the contract away, who knows a potencial ppg player might entice another team that is on the wall on a trade. You know, ah heck we'll even throw in this DD guy we have, he's a potencial PPg guy. LOL

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
LOL. No one wants DD, no one. ...

Wrong. My brother's Pee Wee team would take him tomorrow.

bn5tkHC.gif

(but the kids do find him a tad small...)

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
I hate that the team feels the need to have a French speaking coach, our next coach will be an important one and I feel we need to get the best that is available to win the cup, if not then all the rest seems to be spinning wheels.

Which English coach was better than Therrien, Hartley or Patrick Roy ? They were the top 3 candidate for the job and were all bilingual ? Name one unilingle english speaking coach that is clearly better than these 3.

I don't think the difference between winning the Stanley cup or not is having a unilingle english speaking coach.

CHwest

May 24, 2011
Which English coach was better than Therrien, Hartley or Patrick Roy ? They were the top 3 candidate for the job and were all bilingual ? Name one unilingle english speaking coach that is clearly better than these 3.

I don't think the difference between winning the Stanley cup or not is having a unilingle english speaking coach.

It's not, but there is a difference between having the best coach available or cutting your candidate pool by about 80%. That can kill your chances at the Cup.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York

I wanted Hartley over Therrien...but I'm not sure he was ever a realistic option, as the Flames might have already recruited him.

Roy allegedly wanted GM influence and Bergevin wasn't going to give up his new powers immediately. That and Bergevin has been extremely conservative so far and he wasn't going to go for such a high risk, high reward move. Roy was a wild card and I'm absolutely shocked at how good of a job he's doing, as his Q record never impressed me. It's still early, but right now I'd take him over Therrien, and yes, plenty of those English-only speaking coaches.

Therrien....well, there's a lot of English, French, Russian, and who knows what else speaking coaches that I'd rate higher than him. So yes, opening the door to unilingual coaches, even if Francophones are given a priority, might have given us a different coach.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Therrien....well, there's a lot of English, French, Russian, and who knows what else speaking coaches that I'd rate higher than him. So yes, opening the door to unilingual coaches, even if Francophones are given a priority, might have given us a different coach.

Name me one of those coach that were available at that time with a better resume than Therrien and clearly a better option than him.

djpass

Other than our main core of young players, the guys with most value right now are Markov & Plekanec.

If the Habs can get a guy similar to Bobby Ryan, do you trade one of them ?

This is only speculation, but apparently last summer the Habs were extremely close to get Ryan in a big deal where Plekanec would have likely been involved, hence the reason why Bergevin elected to back himself by acquiring Brière with the plan to put him at center.

CHwest

May 24, 2011
Name me one of those coach that were available at that time with a better resume than Therrien and clearly a better option than him.

What if Ken Hitchcock became available, do you say no, your not a franc.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
What if Ken Hitchcock became available, do you say no, your not a franc.

If Hitchcock becomes available....

That means one thing, and only one thing :

That he failed with a team that is better than ours.

habalifeok

Oct 28, 2013
One missing ingredient. Mix existing ingreients as nuch as you want. It wont make a difference. we need a sniper who can string togrther multiple point efforts.

penalty shot*

My interpretation of where the Habs are at. I think they are a bubble playoff team that suffers terribly in the size dept. None of the small players lack work or try but are simply too small to be on a team that carries so many of them. A lot of teams could carry DD, no cup teams mind you, but on a big team he is a luxury that can be afforded to carry. When you have three or four all on the same team it leads to problems, lack of net presence being one. I find it ironic that our best net presence comes from a player that is very small and am worried that he will not be able to maintain the way he plays for very long.

Our defense is in a much better state with some large boys a year or two away from making a difference. I would extend Markov, I think his teaching value will be huge with the youngsters coming. PK will only get better and I like Markov taking some of the pressure off of PK.

If we slide out of the playoff picture I would move Plec, he is the one player that can bring a good return. I would also try and tie a small player into whatever trade is made. DD I would let go for an abasive vet, Chris Neil is getting a bit long in the tooth and Ottawa might be tempted to move him for a couple of small skilled guys, DD and Gionta. Dare to dream! I do think we need a vet that has a little sand paper to his game and has been a winner, a little direction so to speak.

Top six wingers with size don’t get moved often, we need one and there doesn’t look to be one in the pipeline. Plecs and Gionta traded for a package of nice picks would certainly net us a nice short term tank with the benefit of pushing Eller and Gally into their role on the team sooner. A high draft pick and some more prospects with size would help in the window we are looking at to be a contender. Eller and Gally are centers that you can win it all with as are Price and PK. We have some very nice 3rd and 4th line guys that are very young, and as I said our defence looks to solid for years after a one or two year learning period.

good post but I think D is our issue, too soft in our zone

Markov I wouldn't resign , he is a 5/5 liability , time for Nathan to step in

first get pk inked long term

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I always love when posters ask other posters to name available people as if we're privy to knowing who was.
It isn't uncommon to see assistant coaches of other teams become head coaches, or go for interviews. So maybe we could have ventured through that route.

Let's stop pretending like Therrien was this good option. He should have been a ''no option''.

But one guy that comes to mind was Larry Robinson. I know he's an assistant, but I would have made it my personal mission to convince him to take a head coaching job.
If there really was nothing possible, then I'd asked him to do it on an interim basis. He would be coming in after we finished last in the conference, with bad contracts tied us to the cap, in a rebuilding phase, so expectations were as low as possible.
He could come in for a year as an interim guy, it gives us time to properly look for a coach, with likely more candidates being available (a guy like Vigneault would have then been available).
If after a year, Larry wants to step down, or move down to a defensive coach, then it could have been arranged, or he could maybe have liked to keep the position.

I'm actually quite upset Robinson wasn't approached.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I think it's well known robinson does not want to be a head coach anymore. Didn't he have a heart condition or something, and the stress got to him too much?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think it's well known robinson does not want to be a head coach anymore. Didn't he have a heart condition or something, and the stress got to him too much?

Yes, but that's why I mentioned as an interim coach for a rebuilding team that finished dead last in the conference, that has zero expectations and are entering an evaluation year. Maybe that would have worked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad