What I like about the 2021/22 Canucks

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
Hey all,

So I know it has only been three games, however there is so much to like about this version. I predicted they would finish 2nd in the division and here is why:

1). Massive upgrade on Defence. OEL, so far, is back to playing like his old self. He is engaged, smart, makes the right plays usually, gets his shots through around 80% of the time, and is a catalyst on Def. Hughes has improved incredibly, Rathbone is better than all the "experts" have said, while Myers is playing well, and of Course Poolman and Burroughs are surprises. However they are all proving to be competent NHL defencemen, and if anyone notices, aside from the crappy goal in Detroit, the goals scored against them are high % shots off broken plays. That is not a damnation of the defence necessarily, as they have done a great job of controlling the play in their zone. Don't forget they controlled McDavid and Draisaitl pretty much game 1, and in the 2nd/3rd v Philly they really befuddled the Flyers. Detroit was just bad breaks.

2). Moving the puck up the ice. This may be the defences biggest strength. The transition game has improved incredibly. They get the puck out quick. But this has left them a little susceptible to transition themselves, however, more often than not, they move the puck very efficiently, cleanly. Teams do plan around this, but I'll take this over an 82 game schedule as it will pay off prob 3 out of 4 games.

3). They are bigger. Yes, while Hughes and Rathbone are smaller, Myers, OEL, Poolman, Burroughs are bigger, play bigger, and it is more noticeable. I see so many say this team is small and pushed around. I haven't seen that so far. I don't know what game anyone else is watching, but they are physical, and like I mentioned, the defence is way more sound. They've played 1 bad period. That is it.

4). Finally, they care for each other. They are really playing hard with chips on their shoulders, something to prove, and they are there for their teammates. 3 times Myers has jumped in to protect his teammates, While that D rallies around each other, and their entire team.

This D is improved massively, and over 82 games, it will show if they can keep this first 3 games up, and of course the great destroyer of teams... injuries.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
4). Finally, they care for each other. They are really playing hard with chips on their shoulders, something to prove, and they are there for their teammates. 3 times Myers has jumped in to protect his teammates, While that D rallies around each other, and their entire team.

I love fluffy feel-good nonsense like this because it tries to turn this into a cinematic, Any Given Sunday thing.

They've finally come together and understand the true meaning of teamwork! Despite these being professionals who have been doing this the majority of their career and :

You know, shit like this happening before this season.

I'm always leery of people's takes when they include crap like this because it shows either a lack of understanding of team/pro sports or a desperation to try and include things that can be seen as a 'positive.'

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
Last year's team just did not come together for various reasons (COVID, Injuries, bubble life, etc). You can tell these guys are playing for each other every time they step on the ice. You can tell they're having fun, which is always a good thing.

Reactions: theoriginalBCF

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
Last year's team just did not come together for various reasons (COVID, Injuries, bubble life, etc). You can tell these guys are playing for each other every time they step on the ice. You can tell they're having fun, which is always a good thing.
Injuries happen to every team, every year. They should not be used as an excuse for sucking.

The way that a well-built team overcomes injuries is by having solid depth.

I think positivity towards your team is great, but when it's so obvious that the team still has so many issues it starts to become a bit nauseating.

Having a balance of opinions keeps things grounded in reality.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
Injuries happen to every team, every year. They should not be used as an excuse for sucking.

The way that a well-built team overcomes injuries is by having solid depth.

I think positivity towards your team is great, but when it's so obvious that the team still has so many issues it starts to become a bit nauseating.

Having a balance of opinions keeps things grounded in reality.
Greetings friend. It is quite evident that last season's Canucks never had the chance to come together due to the variety of circumstance. These players appear to be coming together and the additions have certainly given them some juice.

As far as your second point goes, I am sorry that my positive outlook on the Canucks does not meet your own assessment. I hope we can reconcile our differences in opinion and maintain our friendly relations. I am very excited about the 2021-22 Vancouver Canucks.

Thank you for your post! Always a pleasure.

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
Greetings friend. It is quite evident that last season's Canucks never had the chance to come together due to the variety of circumstance. These players appear to be coming together and the additions have certainly given them some juice.

As far as your second point goes, I am sorry that my positive outlook on the Canucks does not meet your own assessment. I hope we can reconcile our differences in opinion and maintain our friendly relations. I am very excited about the 2021-22 Vancouver Canucks.

Thank you for your post! Always a pleasure.
Excuses are certainly a viable way to cope with the team's lack of success last season, and ownership/management have certainly used them quite a lot recently.

Things weren't looking too great pre-Covid breakout either...

Anyways, we can agree to disagree and move on.

I like the Garland addition. But the price paid was very very steep.

What I don't like about the 2021/22 Canucks is that the biggest problem with the team was not addressed in the off-season, which is the defense.

OEL has looked good so far, but not 7+ million good. Not that much different from what Edler brought.

Reactions: Pavel96

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Excuses are certainly a viable way to cope with the team's lack of success last season, and ownership/management have certainly used them quite a lot recently.

Things weren't looking too great pre-Covid breakout either...

Anyways, we can agree to disagree and move on.

I like the Garland addition. But the price paid was very very steep.

What I don't like about the 2021/22 Canucks is that the biggest problem with the team was not addressed in the off-season, which is the defense.

OEL has looked good so far, but not 7+ million good. Not that much different from what Edler brought.
I actually think so far OEL looks like a current market 7 mil guy. If he were a UFA at the end of the season playing like he has been, he'd definitely be getting 8 plus in this market.

Reactions: bh53

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
I love fluffy feel-good nonsense like this because it tries to turn this into a cinematic, Any Given Sunday thing.

They've finally come together and understand the true meaning of teamwork! Despite these being professionals who have been doing this the majority of their career and :

You know, shit like this happening before this season.

I'm always leery of people's takes when they include crap like this because it shows either a lack of understanding of team/pro sports or a desperation to try and include things that can be seen as a 'positive.'

When Garland got here, he commented on how good the comradery on the team is. Does that help the team play better? I don't know. Doesn't hurt though.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I'm enjoying all of the new fresh faces with the team. Year, after year we will continue to see the same team over and over. This year it's a completely new and different Vancouver Canucks team. To finally have to learn players numbers, and their game development is a lot of fun. OEL, Garland, Poolman, Podkolzin, Burroughs, Rathbone, Dickenson, and even the bums in Dowling and Chaisson have been fun to watch. It's highly refreshing, and I'm digging it a lot.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
I will believe that the team has taken a step forward when we have more games like the one against the Red Wings. Doesn’t have to be every game. Maybe 2 out of every 3. That level of consistency would mean they belong in the playoffs on a consistent basis.

Will be looking out for that as the season progresses.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
We are going to be a very good team this season. Will easily pass the 100 point threshold i think. This team, as many of us predicted, will be a top 8 team in the NHL. Jim Benning did his work.

GO CANUCKS GO!
EASILY pass the 100 point threshold? How is putting up an 100+ point season "easy"?

It's happened once in 8 years, with the team not even being able to reach a 90 point season in the ones afterward, much less 100.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I can’t help but feel like a 1-1-1 start with a goals against average of 3.00 isn’t anything to get too excited about, given the concerns about the defence coming into the season. That would be tied for 20th team gaa in 2020/2021, 22nd in 2018/2019, and 19th in 2019/2020(year they went all the way and achieved Fake Jim Benning Stanley Cup glory). The defence was a concern coming in to the season and is performing at a bottom third of the league level. Small sample size for sure, but is it really that small when they seem to be home sweet home there?

:help::huh:

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I don't know how the team will fair but they are definitely better to watch then last year. Conor Garland is a joy to watch and just brings something to this team we've needed. The energy and hustle from him is brilliant !!

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
UFA market is always an overpayment sh**show.

I don't think the contract is going to age well.
Yes thats true but once the market is set pretty much every player that is comparable will get a similar contract. I agree though the tail end of this contract won't likely be good but that's usually how it goes for good players at the end of their careers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad