What has to happen this year for it to be a successful season?

What needs to happen for it to be a successful season in your mind?

• Total voters

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Cup winning got me little emotions strangely. Less than I expected. Losing in 2nd round was much more emotional.

Maybe its some sort of disbelief. Maybe everything was left in the Pitts series.

Certainly, I can handle any result this next season.

Edit: Kuzy scoring 30+ will be a good result for me. Ovi 45+.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
There are two questions really.

1. What would a successful season be?
2. Do you care if they achieve that?

I think ecf is the answer to 1. I think I won't be disappointed if they don't for 2.

I think the answer to 1. has been "Win a Cup" since after 2008 when they first made the playoffs with Ovi. More specifically, I've always said winning a championship is the goal of every team and when you fall short its a failure to achieve your goal. So 1. is and has always been, win a Cup. For 2, the pain of failing to achieve 1. would be lessened by having done it already, but it also depends on how they fail. Another choke job to the Pens? Too many injuries? A juggernaut team from the West in the SCF? Different ways will bring about different levels of acceptance, but bringing back this roster, anything short of winning another Cup and I'd call it a disappointment, and so would the players.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I was pretty bitter when swept by Tampa. Took about a week to get over. In fact, most of their defeats take about a week to wear off for me. The previous Finals I knew we wouldn’t win, but we could have made a series out of it....Esa....grumble...

I remember the Sunday night OT loss because during the game people started saying we had killed Osama bin Laden and people were on the news in front of the White House and a lot of them were wearing Caps gear. It always stuck with me.

That was the quickest I had ever gotten over a series loss.

The Canadians game seven the year before gutted me like I don't think anything short of death of a loved one could. :cry:

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Objective opinion: anything less than a Stanley Cup is not successful for a group this deep and talented. There are probably 6-8 teams that can claim that right now. There can be small wins along the way but not winning a Cup means the season wasn't a success.

Subjective opinion: long hair don't care. I'm still high from last year and as long as they play competitive hockey and make the playoffs I'm happy.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Last season we all kept our expectations low and look what happened.

#sticktothescript
Not me, I start every season with the expectation my loaded capitals team wins the cup. When we lose our talent as they get old and we're no longer loaded...I'll tune my expectations. I won't be angry or upset with them if they don't win it this year but you're damn right I want it and I expect it cause we're the best team in the NHL and have been for several years.

smd333

May 2, 2012
I think in all honesty just getting through one round of the playoffs would be fine. I'm still on a stanley cup high. I feel like I'm playing with house money emotionally, this is almost a freeroll.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I remember the Sunday night OT loss because during the game people started saying we had killed Osama bin Laden and people were on the news in front of the White House and a lot of them were wearing Caps gear. It always stuck with me.

That was the quickest I had ever gotten over a series loss.

The Canadians game seven the year before gutted me like I don't think anything short of death of a loved one could. :cry:

While the Canadians series did suck, for me the worst for this team was the Rangers loss. As always, up 3-1, lose game 5 in OT after giving up the late goal to Kreider, lose game 6 4-3, then game 7 again in OT. We spent so much of game 5 and 7 right on the edge of winning and then freaking Stepan grabs that stupid rebound after a faceoff win. That series still eats at me.

Going way back, I stayed up through 4 OTs in 87' to watch LaFonatine's turnaround slapper. (up 3-1 in that one too) The 96 game 7 was bad too, but 87 was worse to me.

Foots

ALL OURS
May 5, 2018
While the Canadians series did suck, for me the worst for this team was the Rangers loss. As always, up 3-1, lose game 5 in OT after giving up the late goal to Kreider, lose game 6 4-3, then game 7 again in OT. We spent so much of game 5 and 7 right on the edge of winning and then freaking Stepan grabs that stupid rebound after a faceoff win. That series still eats at me.

I agree. That series loss to the Rangers really pissed me off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->