What has to happen this year for it to be a successful season?

What needs to happen for it to be a successful season in your mind?

• Total voters

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I get what he’s saying. Sure, we won one. That’s awesome. It’s freaking unbelievable.

But, this is their time to win some of these things. This window for them has been amazing...and we all probably don’t even realize it. If we are going to be allowed to experience this “we are champs!!!!” feelings again, it will need to be soon, IMO. I don’t see their window going on for more than a few more years.

So, this is the time. Now. Sure, we won, so the sting of loss won’t ever really be as painful...but we should ALL appreciate and recognize that if we don’t win it again in the next season or 3....it may be another 40yrs.

Which means I won’t live to see it again. Not trying to be dramatic here, just putting the whole thing into a very Macro perspective.

Yea, ok. I am a Caps fan. I know what real heartbreak is. He wears the name Lafontaine. He wears Pittsburgh black and gold. I've been heartbroken.

Its not possible for me to feel like that this season. I suppose they could massively choke again.

Reactions: 32hunter

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Why do you say that?

The kind of stress and pain provided to dedicated caps fans is actually bad for your health as is most major stress and pain.

If you can't lower that level after they won and puck right up at heartbreak, it's not good for you.

Its your choice, though.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
The kind of stress and pain provided to dedicated caps fans is actually bad for your health as is most major stress and pain.

If you can't lower that level after they won and puck right up at heartbreak, it's not good for you.

Its your choice, though.
You are kidding?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Daryl Suter said making the playoffs now is harder than winning the Cup. So nope for me it isn't Cup or bust or ECF or bust.

The Capitals have been very good for a while (with that small blip in 2013), I am proud of them no matter the outcome, just as I have been for a while. The Cup is obviously like getting to the top of Everest but it takes a lot nowadays just to get to Camp 1.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Pretty much anything that doesn't involve a Capitals player getting arrested or suffering a career ending injury

This.

Although I would add that beating Pittsburgh again in the playoffs would be very nice. Also blocking Tampa from getting to the Finals as well -- maybe beating them is some key reg season games ensuring they don't get a high seed. (Tampa I resent because they've had our number in the playoffs and they won a SC before we did, which is pretty insolent for a mere expansion team).

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam Spade

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I prepare for heartbreak every season. I know how difficult it is to win the Cup. Especially in the modern era. Its not the end of the world but I'll still be disappointed. Nothing wrong with being a passionate fan.

I’m with Maaco on this one. I want another.

I’ll be heartbroken ANY time the Caps lose. I’ll be pretty bummed if they don’t make the ECF at a minimum but I voted Get back to the Finals.

If the Caps never won another game, I’d be miserable. That’s nonsense talk.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
This. Even if they didn't make the playoffs I'd be happy as a clam.
But that doesn't really make it a successful season. Just a successful fan experience given past accomplishments.

That said, a successful season is hard to define. I don't think it's necessarily just outcome-based, even if the clock may be ticking for this core group. There are a lot of developmental aspects that can make up a successful season IMO, from younger players organizationally to the coaching staff putting things in good stead longer-term. I don't think it's Cup/SCF/ECF or bust. They've got to make the playoffs but from there I think they mostly need to be a tough out for anyone. As long as they're putting the right foot forward, not reverting back to past mentally weak teams or playing stale/overconfident I'd consider it a respectable season. They've earned respect and a certain degree of confidence for the remainder of their careers but that's also something that has to constantly be earned to show they've still got it. They'll have a target on their backs and that should help them not be overconfident and put the focus back on finding that groove again. As long as they maintain that hunger organizationally--and it's at least there based on their stated goals and Reirden's stated mentality--and fight to the end I'd consider that successful regardless of just how deep they go.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Maybe you use the word heartbroken in hyperbole. If you mean it seriously, then I am not kidding.
We are talking about a sporting event. What do you think? Of course I will be heartbroken when the Caps get eliminated. I always am. And then I get excited for the up and coming season. You make it sound like a life and death situation.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I voted back to the finals in terms of what makes a successful season. As for what I need to be personally satisfied with the season, I guess I have no idea. I don't know if I'll be heartbroken if they lose to the Laffs or the Pens or the Bolts or whoever. I might. What I do know is that for the first time in at least a decade, my default setting will not be despair and hysteria at every bump in the road. That for me is a much healthier place to be.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
We are talking about a sporting event. What do you think? Of course I will be heartbroken when the Caps get eliminated. I always am. And then I get excited for the up and coming season. You make it sound like a life and death situation.

I guess I am not so easily heartbroken and it's effect on me more seriously. If the Caps don't win, I will be disappointed. When I am heartbroken, I don't get over it the next day. But, as you ssy, it's game of entertainment

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I NEVER get over a Caps playoff elimination the next day. What hardcore fan ever does? So yeah, heartbroken. I guess it’s ok to admit you’re not hardcore...but I am.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I NEVER get over a Caps playoff elimination the next day. What hardcore fan ever does? So yeah, heartbroken. I guess it’s ok to admit you’re not hardcore...but I am.

I got over them pretty easily when I didn't think they had a chance to win the Cup. So, for example, when Tampa swept them with Neuvy in net, I wasn't particularly upset. I knew that wasn't the year. That's why I wasn't even mad when they got swept in '98. They weren't in the same league as that Wings team.

It's the years where I thought they had a chance that really hurt, especially 09-10, 15-16 and 16-17.

In other words, not all playoff losses are equal in my mind.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Let's be clear. I was throwing things after the first 3 Trots playoff failures. I didn't renew my nhl center ice cut back the number of games I watched after the last one. I was heartbroken and angry and betrayed.

My point is that unless they return to the choking life and blow a 3 games to 1 lead to the Penguins again, I won't react the same way. They have earned my patience back.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I got over them pretty easily when I didn't think they had a chance to win the Cup. So, for example, when Tampa swept them with Neuvy in net, I wasn't particularly upset. I knew that wasn't the year. That's why I wasn't even mad when they got swept in '98. They weren't in the same league as that Wings team.

It's the years where I thought they had a chance that really hurt, especially 09-10, 15-16 and 16-17.

In other words, not all playoff losses are equal in my mind.

I was pretty bitter when swept by Tampa. Took about a week to get over. In fact, most of their defeats take about a week to wear off for me. The previous Finals I knew we wouldn’t win, but we could have made a series out of it....Esa....grumble...

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Let's be clear. I was throwing things after the first 3 Trots playoff failures. I didn't renew my nhl center ice cut back the number of games I watched after the last one. I was heartbroken and angry and betrayed.

My point is that unless they return to the choking life and blow a 3 games to 1 lead to the Penguins again, I won't react the same way. They have earned my patience back.

I can’t predict my feelings for something that hasn’t happened. But I can’t imagine I’ll be happy go lucky for their next elimination.

Reactions: Praetorian Caps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad