What has NASA found on Mars? Get set for major announcement.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Might still be a nothing burger. Didn't that Clinton Antarctic meteorite from Mars also contain 'organic-like nodules'? Don't comets also contain some 'organic-like material'? I'm not jumping for joy until they come up with at least some single-celled eukaryote fossilized in a rock...

jdhebner

Feb 24, 2003
I ain't cousin Basil
Visit site
Might still be a nothing burger. Didn't that Clinton Antarctic meteorite from Mars also contain 'organic-like nodules'? Don't comets also contain some 'organic-like material'? I'm not jumping for joy until they come up with at least some single-celled eukaryote fossilized in a rock...
I'm with you on this one, sort of. It's interesting from a scientific discovery, but certainly not worth a press confab. IMO NASA should have just posted this on the website as a press release....

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
When you find the building blocks of life, ie carbon, on the SURFACE of a presumed dead planet, that's spewing methane from an unknown location, that's atmosphere has died, so it doesn't stop radiation from the sun, therefore killing organics, hence why we had to drill 2 rocks to find organics, gosh the longest run on sentence ever.

Point is, we predicted this. We looked in a dried up lake for life.

Imagine what we'll find when we can dig deeper. That's the next mission BTW.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm with you on this one, sort of. It's interesting from a scientific discovery, but certainly not worth a press confab. IMO NASA should have just posted this on the website as a press release....
Most of science is incremental or mundane. If NASA saved press conferences to finding alien life, they would never have press conferences. Let the science media do their job. Stuff like this helps keep science reporters employed.

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Most of science is incremental or mundane. If NASA saved press conferences to finding alien life, they would never have press conferences. Let the science media do their job. Stuff like this helps keep science reporters employed.

Mundane it is not IMHO.

I'm no reporter, just a maintenance technician, but where do you draw the line? What is life? A single cell organism?

If the building blocks of life were present on Mars 3.5 billion years ago, what is under the soil?

We need to get UNDER the surface IMO.

Reactions: Kestrel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad