What has happened to Chistov?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
I watched him play 3 games the past 3 days and I must say, he looks awful. I went into these games drooling at the prospects of seeing Chistov, Smirnov, and Bryzgalov. But I left wondering just what the future has in store for Chistov. He was probably the weakest player on his skates the whole weekend. He was easily getting pushed around by AHL defenseman and forwards. He was getting creamed into the boards every few shifts. His vision is off; his creativity is stunted, and his skating wasn't impressive. Maybe he's sick or just had a bad stint of games, but if his name wasn't Chistov, I wouldn't have been suprised if he was scratched in either of those 3 games. Is it a total lack of confidence or does he just not care? Or is it something else?

Randall Graves*

His attitude right now sucks, Babcock said he came to camp out of shape.

My guess is next season he will come to camp with a chip on his shoulder...he is no longer guaranteed a spot with Leclerc,Prospal,Schastlivy and McDonald.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Chistov's agents screwed Chistov by bringing him too early. Yes, he had nice start to his career but he ran out of boy's adrenaline, now real life is ahead. Anaheim should send Chistov to Columbus to put the trio of Zherdev, Svitov and Chistov together, they are perfect fit for each other - three players with good potential who came to the league 1-2 years little too yearly.

Last edited:

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Siberian said:
Chistov's agents screwed Chistov by bringing him too early. Yes, he had nice start to his career but he ran out of boy's adrenaline, now real life is ahead. Anaheim should send Chistov to Columbus to put the trio of Zherdev, Svitov and Chistov together, they are perfect fit for each other - three players with good potential who came to the league 1-2 years little too yearly.

I don't agree.
[SARCASM]They should send all three back to Russia, possibly to the favourite team of Siberian.[/SARCASM]
[HEAVY SARCASM]There I am sure they will get again confidence.[/HEAVY SARCASM]

I'm not to worry about his skill, Chistov is quite the same player of last year phisically, but mentally he's totally absent and the demotion hurted him a lot. I hope that the kid can regain his confidence soon, the Ducks need him.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
Remember all of the "chistov or frolov" threads. Funny stuff. Chistov has talent and I would bet will either go back to europe to play and say ta to the ducks who gave up on him or will find his self dealt to another team and rediscovering his game quickly. With how bad his entire team were playing you can't blame Chistov, a kid, for all of the trouble and then expect him to go down to the farm and act happy. He were the teams leading assist man at the time of his send off. Pathetic. I would try and nab him away from the ducks. That kid, when in the right situation, can be a monster.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Hm, this league is not about the skills or I should say not entirely about skills. The more important thing would be the professional approach to the game. The players must be ready to give it all night in and night out. It is such a dramatic jump from Russian Superleague where they used to play 40 games a year to NHL where they play 82 plus playoffs. All of a sudden for these kids hockey is not a game but hard though well-paid jobs.

I said this so many times and I will say it again and again, russian players should peak in their own league and become real professionals before coming to NHL. The agents are just too lazy and very eager for quick cash. Why not let them develop a year or two and instead hire good English teachers to prepare them for the new job in NHL. Instead, players come very raw and are thrown into 82 game per season schedule where they even do not have time to learn language. Lack of understanding of the language brings them so many issues on and off ice that players stop developing and their confidence is taken away from them.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Siberian said:
Hm, this league is not about the skills or I should say not entirely about skills. The more important thing would be the professional approach to the game. The players must be ready to give it all night in and night out. It is such a dramatic jump from Russian Superleague where they used to play 40 games a year to NHL where they play 82 plus playoffs. All of a sudden for these kids hockey is not a game but hard though well-paid jobs.

I said this so many times and I will say it again and again, russian players should peak in their own league and become real professionals before coming to NHL. The agents are just too lazy and very eager for quick cash. Why not let them develop a year or two and instead hire good English teachers to prepare them for the new job in NHL. Instead, players come very raw and are thrown into 82 game per season schedule where they even do not have time to learn language. Lack of understanding of the language brings them so many issues on and off ice that players stop developing and their confidence is taken away from them.

Sounds like a dead on description of Semin's experience so far with the Caps.

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
He'll come around.. for as bad as he has looked he still has 5 points in 7 games.

Once he gets his head on straight, he'll be fine.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Siberian said:

You know, you take a lot of abuse on these boards, some of it deserved, some of it not. I think that you make some good points but you've got this weird idea that there's a cookie-cutter way of bringing russians in the NHL. There isn't one.

I also notice you mention often Chistov and Svitov and I am not sure they are good examples because of their army troubles. Particularly Svitov. Everything that could possibly go wrong for Svitov did:

-He was slightly overrated and probably went too soon. That may have played tricks on his ego. Especially since he seems to have quiet a temper

-He was caught in political turmoil and had a horrible time in Russia

-He was braught to North America to a crappy organization that has no AHL farm of its own

That's not a poster boy for "do not bring Russians to North America to soon". That's a poster boy for: "have a damn AHL team" and pray your guys aren't caught in politics.

So the guy had developmental problems in RUSSIA. I hardly see how things were going well for him there. Then he was brought in North America to one of the few crappy orgnanizations that has problems farming the youngsters. That's not exactly the typical footprint.

Randall Graves*

punchy1 said:
Remember all of the "chistov or frolov" threads. Funny stuff. Chistov has talent and I would bet will either go back to europe to play and say ta to the ducks who gave up on him or will find his self dealt to another team and rediscovering his game quickly. With how bad his entire team were playing you can't blame Chistov, a kid, for all of the trouble and then expect him to go down to the farm and act happy. He were the teams leading assist man at the time of his send off. Pathetic. I would try and nab him away from the ducks. That kid, when in the right situation, can be a monster.
You haven't watched him much this season? he has been horrible,he has great skill but if hes gonna pout about going to the AHL then he doesn't have what it takes.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Vlad The Impaler said:
You know, you take a lot of abuse on these boards, some of it deserved, some of it not. I think that you make some good points but you've got this weird idea that there's a cookie-cutter way of bringing russians in the NHL. There isn't one.

Of course there is. First of all none of the Russian prospects speak English, 100% of Finnish and Swedish prospects do, 80% of Slovak and Czech prospects do but none of the Russians speak English.

Second, most of the Russian players at the age of 18 are not as mature as 18 year olds from Western countries, I can guarantee you that. There is some exceptions like Kovalchuk etc but only exceptions. A Russian at the age of 18 is still a kid. Let him play with adults in Russia just to mature a little bit. What happens is they do not have this maturity period, they are thrown into NHL where their priority number one artificially becomes learning language and not learning hockey. Some of these guys feel absolutely dumb sitting on the bench and not understanding a single word.

Vlad The Impaler said:
I also notice you mention often Chistov and Svitov and I am not sure they are good examples because of their army troubles. Particularly Svitov. Everything that could possibly go wrong for Svitov did:

Well, that is because they signed NHL contracts against their verbal agreement with their club that they will not sign them for couple of years and the club ended its "protection" from the Army and they became conscripts. I am not saying the club did the right thing but there is hundreds of thousands of guys who serve in the Army and do not get any kind of protection from anything.

Vlad The Impaler said:
So the guy had developmental problems in RUSSIA. I hardly see how things were going well for him there. Then he was brought in North America to one of the few crappy orgnanizations that has problems farming the youngsters. That's not exactly the typical footprint.

Chistov and Svitov both should have played 2 more years in Russia and for national junior team (which is an excellent experience, but worth of separate thread), grow up, learn English and this year they would have been good additions to any NHL club.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Vishinator05 said:
What's funny about your post Siberian is that Chistov played hockey in California a few years back and knows English.

Yes, I know Chistov spoke some English but language is not the only problem with Russian prospects like I mentioned before. He did not peak in Russia and never became professional in its true meaning. Last year he rode on adrenaline, now that the honeymoon is over and real life begins he could not score a goal in 35 games or so which is an embarassment for a forward.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
RallyKiller said:
His attitude right now sucks, Babcock said he came to camp out of shape.

My guess is next season he will come to camp with a chip on his shoulder...he is no longer guaranteed a spot with Leclerc,Prospal,Schastlivy and McDonald.

I said that for 2-3 years with Volchkov so you might want to beware. Not saying the kids gonna flame out that bad but I'd be a bit nervous ....another russian kid with all the talent in the world that came over at such a young age, got his ego inflated, and now when the time for him to show up comes he shows up at camp outta shape and starts getting an attitude problem and now sulking like a little boy when he gets sent down. I hope this isn't the case, but I'd definitely keewp an eye on it if I was a Ducks fan.

st_roland

Siberian said:

Solid post Siberian. If you expressed your thoughts like that more often, you'd get a lot more respect around there.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
I agree in general with you Siberian but then i also feel that Chistov got done a bit by his team. He had enough point production to have been left on the team and he also was starting to play with more fire towards his being sent down. (for a bit and then two or three games prior he started dropping drastically. I believe he probably saw it coming) Loads of NA players as well as Russians (etc) have awful sophmore campaigns. The "sophmore slump" is a well known phenomenom and Chistov was doing better than lots of other young players have who were allowed to work there way through it.

I do agree that he were sent over too soon but then, since he were here and producing alright, while certainly struggling, feel he should have been made to stay with the team recieving his limited ice time and to work harder until he came through.

Recently his lagging under producing team mates started turning thier games around and I feel that he would have as well. To me, if it were only him who were struggling then of course, send him down and teach him to take this spot more seriously. Since all including Fedorov were playing in a sad and pathetic like manner, I feel it wrong to have singled out Chistov. Especially when there were many others who were young and struggling much worse.

At this point, I feel dealing him while his value is up would be the best thing to do. I wonder if the Ducks would consider dealing him to Los Angeles for the talented yet sent down Cammelleri plus type of a package. Cammelleri has proven he can score and is a true fire plug when given the chance. He were doing well when he got tossed around (something that Andy Murray is known to do and it is the thing he is most hammered on by his players and pundits) in the manner that Andy Murray seems to have to do with his offencive minded young players, even when they are playing well enough in all zones.

Camms were reported as having an "attitude problem" but I see it as frustration. He were producing and playing very well and then got moved to the fourth line and jacked around to see his spot given to a more "gritty" type of player and then when he were given a game to recapture his offence (as opposed to a few games) and didn't produce he was told to go down and work on his attitude. He is a very good young player and while not projected to be as good as Chistov by a stretch, he is a good one and might be a nice addition to the Ducks. Of course, it would take a little massaging but isn't totally out of whack.

Thoughts?

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
I personally hope the Ducks don't give up on Chistov, as he is talented and an important part of Anaheim's future, In My Opinion.
I agree, that he may not of deserved to be sent down, but such is life. He was scratched a few times due to poor performance this season, and each time returned to 3-4 good games before returning to his bad habits.
It troubles me that he is apparently sulking in Cincy, but his production down there isn't that bad (5 pts in 7 games), and depending on the team's fortunes, I hope he sees time in Anaheim before the end of the season.

Spankatola Jamnuts*

punchy1 said:
I agree in general with you Siberian but then i also feel that Chistov got done a bit by his team. He had enough point production to have been left on the team and he also was starting to play with more fire towards his being sent down.

He wasn't producing at all. Many of his points were second assists on the power play, basically living off the largesse of Fedorov and Sykora. He only played with fire for a bit after he was benched. He was lazy and totally uninvolved.

Loads of NA players as well as Russians (etc) have awful sophmore campaigns. The "sophmore slump" is a well known phenomenom and Chistov was doing better than lots of other young players have who were allowed to work there way through it.

Like Vlad says, there's no cookie cutter approach to development. His vast talent allows him to be marginally productive even while he's being extemely lazy. I'm not sure why you'd think that's an attitude the Ducks should reward simply because he's producing. He's not some veteran like Jagr where you just have to accept the laziness. He's a kid who could still learn to bust his ass. Sending him down was the best thing for him, and for the club long-term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->