What has been the Leafs biggest mistake?

What has been the Leafs biggest mistake?

• Total voters

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
So you edited
Nice deflection - focusing on and misrepresenting an edit that didn't even change the underlying point, instead of actually admitting you're wrong. I was editing anyway to add the 3rd quote and response, and edited it away from "everybody knows that" because I decided to give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume that you're just honestly misguided about contract negotiations, and not intentionally trying to misrepresent them. UFA contracts are not relevant to post-ELC negotiations, and not only is that common knowledge, but beyond obvious in a long history of contracts, including the Matthews/Marner ones, which align properly with other post-ELC contracts.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I mean there's a list of things we could all argue about but I'm wondering about the Keefe hire now. He's like the team, seems to do well in the regular season but has been out-coached in 2 playoff series now. Doesn't make adjustments when needed either. And the PP - man someone should be fired for that alone

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
So you edited from:

"Everybody knows that"
to
"It's common knowledge"
to
"No, that's a pretty basic fact."

Want to try for 4 and admit you have no idea what gets said in negotiations that occur behind closed doors or are you sticking with "basic fact" ? :laugh:
It's obvious they have no clue. Why anyone wants to go down the rabbit hole with them is beyond me.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Nice deflection - focusing on and misrepresenting an edit that didn't even change the underlying point, instead of actually admitting you're wrong. I was editing anyway to add the 3rd quote, and edited it away from "everybody knows that" because I decided to give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume that you're just honestly misguided about contract negotiations, and not intentionally trying to misrepresent them. UFA contracts are not relevant to post-ELC negotiations, and not only is that common knowledge, but beyond obvious in a long history of contracts, including the Matthews/Marner ones.

No deflection.....my assertion stands.

You have no idea what specifically gets discussed in negotiations between a player agent and a GM.

I know that, you know that, and I'd wager anyone reading this post knows that.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You have no idea what specifically gets discussed in negotiations between a player agent and a GM.
I do know that UFA contracts have no relevance to post-ELC negotiations, and there's absolutely nothing about the Matthews/Marner contracts that suggest otherwise.

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
these mckinnon comparisons are laughable. ....... you cant pick and choose your narrative on the 2 greatest contracts ever signed before the players were SUPERSTARS ... if mckinnon signed that 1 year later it would have been over 10 mil. ................ every single GM in the league has at least a handful of bad contracts they have given out ...
like serious if dubas only contract mistake is marner ..... what exactly are we complaining about ? Also I've had it up to here with this Marner is garbage narrative on these boards.

everyone loves the florida gm .... and yet hes the guy that decided to give bobrovsky 10 mil , the worst contract in the league.

Bill Zito did not give that contract out. That was the work of Dale Tallon, who is no longer the GM.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Poor asset management is the cause of where the Leafs are at:

1. Not dealing Bozak, JVR, Andersen and Hyman which would have returned many picks and prospects when they didnt have a chance of accomplishing anything in the playoffs. Were very blinded.

2. Horrible contracts given to Zaitsev and Marleau that cost us Connor Brown and a 1st Round pick.

3. Horrible contract given to Mitch Marner and Muzzin. Both are quality players do not get me wrong. But after seeing what players like Landeskog and Savard got on the open market. Makes you wonder what the Leafs could have had with an extra 6 million in cap space right now.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Signing Matthews/Marner to stupid contracts and buying zero UFA years.

Signing Tavares when we had Matthews/Kadri as the 1/2. That money could've rounded out the roster and we wouldn't have had to pay 34/16 nearly as much as they got.

Zaitsev contract and trade.

Marleau contract.

Trading so many picks for rental guys who did absolutely nothing.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Poor asset management is the cause of where the Leafs are at:

1. Not dealing Bozak, JVR, Andersen and Hyman which would have returned many picks and prospects when they didnt have a chance of accomplishing anything in the playoffs. Were very blinded.

2. Horrible contracts given to Zaitsev and Marleau that cost us Connor Brown and a 1st Round pick.

3. Horrible contract given to Mitch Marner and Muzzin. Both are quality players do not get me wrong. But after seeing what players like Landeskog and Savard got on the open market. Makes you wonder what the Leafs could have had with an extra 6 million in cap space right now.

Didn't have a chance? A little bit of a defeatist attitude eh? Continually trading pending UFA's at the deadline, but then trying to got for it counter each other do they not....? Might as well have a continual rebuild if you are not going to take a chance.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Signing Matthews/Marner to stupid contracts and buying zero UFA years.

Signing Tavares when we had Matthews/Kadri as the 1/2. That money could've rounded out the roster and we wouldn't have had to pay 34/16 nearly as much as they got.

Zaitsev contract and trade.

Marleau contract.

Trading so many picks for rental guys who did absolutely nothing.
So you are upset at Lou as much as anything.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
So you are upset at Lou as much as anything.

Dubas gave away a first to get rid of 1 year of Marleau..... And we missed the playoffs.

That's not Lou's fault for removing all the veterans.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
That's still not "buying zero UFA years".
Well unlike the last time Dubas gave out horrible contracts, he's really going to have zero leverage the next go round. Lets hope he's fired by then. I don't see how he can screw up any worse, but he's proven to me that I underrate his ability to find ways.

Reactions: Habz4Evr

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Well unlike the last time Dubas gave out horrible contracts, he's really going to have zero leverage the next go round.
Dubas hasn't given out any horrible contracts. No reason to think he's going to start. None of this changes the fact that the contracts didn't "buy zero UFA years".

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I do know that UFA contracts have no relevance to post-ELC negotiations, and there's absolutely nothing about the Matthews/Marner contracts that suggest otherwise.
I would tell my players negotiating new contracts that both UFA contracts and Dubas contracts are irrelevant.

If I worked contracts, I would probably put up a plaque on the wall of my office that reads "I don't pay in Dubas dollars. Don't ask."

Last edited:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I would tell my players negotiating new contracts that both UFA contracts and Dubas contracts are irrelevant.
If your player is negotiating a post-ELC contract, then you would be right to tell them that UFA contracts are irrelevant, but I think they would already know something that obvious. If your player is negotiating a UFA contract, then other UFA contracts would be relevant. Dubas contracts are no different, so they could be relevant.

Reactions: Gallagbi

The Blueprint

Dec 4, 2018
The timing of the Tavares contract and the butterfly effect it had on the cap structure. No doubt about for me.

Other than that Ive really liked how Dubas has managed this team. Not afraid to take chances and shuffle pieces around the core, solid drafting.. but the Tavares contract... that paved the way for the bloated kids contracts and the expectations that came with those contracts.. too soon.

Reactions: myleafs

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Top guys not being like Nathan Mackinnon:

Attachments

• B01E7993-95E5-441D-8CEF-77E0947E3BA5.png
    B01E7993-95E5-441D-8CEF-77E0947E3BA5.png
    742.4 KB · Views: 9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad