What happens with Hornqvist?

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
If Penguins ownership/management felt Hornqvist's cap hit was an issue they could use the buyout option and save 3,533,333 per on the cap the next 3 seasons.

Lol

Cap issue isn't solved by buying out and giving yourself DEAD cap

If they wanted to move horny and he didn't want to waive...then...he'd just keep playing because then even as a shell of his former self his value is better than millions wasted on a buyout.

Reactions: Factorial

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I posted two year ago Kessel will be moved when his contract is acceptable to the trade partner. Same with Horny. I thnk he will be moved next off season or maybe the TDL unlikely but a small possibility. A two year contract for him at 5 million plus with his leadership and intangibles will be in demand for team wanting that to win a cup. You have to think the Avs or Vancouver would add him for that very reason. I believe the Pens this coming year will be the final push with Sid and Geno. Then the real rebuild starts. Horny, Malkin, Letang will be moved to contending teams needing that missing piece.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Lol

Cap issue isn't solved by buying out and giving yourself DEAD cap

If they wanted to move horny and he didn't want to waive...then...he'd just keep playing because then even as a shell of his former self his value is better than millions wasted on a buyout.

Hornqvist's contract isn't a problem for Penguins ownership/management .

Last edited:

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
If Penguins ownership/management felt Hornqvist's cap hit was an issue they could use the buyout option and save 3,533,333 per on the cap the next 3 seasons.

Hornqvist's contract isn't a problem for Penguins ownership/management .

Why'd you bring it up, then?

6IYI.gif

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Oleksiak is proving to be a great partner with Heiskanen so I see no reason why he wouldn’t have been a solid cheap top four D to go with Marino.

That gives you Pettersson on the bottom pairing with Schultz or JJ this season which IMO is pretty solid.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I’m fine with saving $6M but the question is, who else do we have that can go in the dirty areas around the net?

Unless the plan is to do more off the rush where a player like hornqvist isn’t as valuable. However I don’t see HCMS adopting that model.

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
Oleksiak is proving to be a great partner with Heiskanen so I see no reason why he wouldn’t have been a solid cheap top four D to go with Marino.

That gives you Pettersson on the bottom pairing with Schultz or JJ this season which IMO is pretty solid.

Thankfully for Stars they dont have short sighted coach that holds grudges and sets up players to fail like Sullivan does. Pens have or had 3 options that were much better players than JJ, yet Sullivan either ran them out of the city or is letting them rot in the press box (or playing them as W) while JJ keeps getting top 4 minutes. Everyone sees that it isnt working and it never worked, yet one person that should see it is completely blind to it.

Reactions: ericstrat1

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
I’m fine with saving $6M but the question is, who else do we have that can go in the dirty areas around the net?

Unless the plan is to do more off the rush where a player like hornqvist isn’t as valuable. However I don’t see HCMS adopting that model.

Tanev for one can do it, and did it plenty with WPG, and Pens when given proper chance. When he plays with wanker like ZAR and whoever else, he is handcuffed and cant do much at all, since they are supposed to be a "defense 1st" unit.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Thankfully for Stars they dont have short sighted coach that holds grudges and sets up players to fail like Sullivan does. Pens have or had 3 options that were much better players than JJ, yet Sullivan either ran them out of the city or is letting them rot in the press box (or playing them as W) while JJ keeps getting top 4 minutes. Everyone sees that it isnt working and it never worked, yet one person that should see it is completely blind to it.

I’m pretty sure Rutherford was responsible for Oleksiak.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Tanev for one can do it, and did it plenty with WPG, and Pens when given proper chance. When he plays with wanker like ZAR and whoever else, he is handcuffed and cant do much at all, since they are supposed to be a "defense 1st" unit.

Tanev around the net?

i think his strong suite is speed and being tenacious, not playing in font of the net.

Unless you are saying that Tanev could be beginning of a different more off the rush system.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I wouldn't give him away. If a deal presented itself though, he's 34 and he's not going to get any better. There is soon going to come a time where Hornqvist's body just cannot keep up with his disposition. We are seeing a bit of it now. If some contender offered a package of picks/prospects for him...I'd have a hard time not considering.

The issue with trading him and getting value is that a team will value him more at the deadline than at the beginning of the season, but if Hornqvist is healthy, we would also value him at the deadline and not want to trade him. I see Hornqvist playing out his time in Pittsburgh or getting picked by Seattle.

Last edited:

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
No way Horny, or the older larger contracts except Sid are her in 3 years. Pens will be in a totally different mode once Letang and Malkin are gone. I see Horny moved at the TDL or next off season. JJ, probably/hopefully is well.

Strakanator

Sep 21, 2007
Horny should be moved ASAP. He is still a useful player just not on this team.

Pens need a shakeup. Horny doesn’t fit on any of the top 3 lines. Plus the power play with Horny hasn’t been good for 2 years now.

Its time fir Horny to go during the off-season.

Reactions: ownal

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The power play sucks because nobody cares enough to work, skate, or get the PKers moving. All five guys, including Hornqvist, set up and plant roots wherever they are. Bieksa talks at length about how easy the PKers' job is when the PP is content to stay in place and pass back and forth looking for the perfect play. That's been our issue for a long time.

But yeah, trade Hornqvist if you can get him to waive. No sense in paying ~$5.5 million for a guy who is essentially locked in at 3RW since he can't play with Sid and Rust is Geno's permanent RW now.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Hornqvist is expensive for what he brings in terms of pure production, but his skill set is unique and not really like anything else we have. I will understand if he is traded but I think he can be a part of a great third line. Maybe not HBK levels of great, but great.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Stand still.
Pass
Pass
Pass
Pass
...hold the puck...
Pass
Pass
40 seconds left
Pass
Shoot into a crowd, shot is blocked

2nd unit out to finish the last 20 seconds.

9b51353c8383407db13f8fe5c180d8b5.jpg
forgot:
give up shorthanded chance...
chase puck in own zone 40 seconds

It's actually infuriating to watch.

Pens' PP is like watching a bubble hockey game where the five players literally can't move from their aloted spot on the ice.

other teams on powerplay are beautiful, lol

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->