What happens with Hornqvist?

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
$5.3M cap hit and no trade clause (yikes) for 3 more years.

Basically 0 production in the last two playoffs and is the definition of a total passenger out there. Hornqvist was an absolute stud during those cup years, but it's clear we are seeing a very degraded version of him these days.

The guy seems to have fallen off completely and his body appears to be breaking down significantly (he got ragdolled out there especially against MTL this year).

Where do things go from here?

I'd be in favor of buying out his contract at this stage.

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Basically 0 production in the last two playoffs and is the definition of a total passenger out there.

The guy seems to have fallen off completely and his body appears to be breaking down significantly (he got ragdolled out there especially against MTL this year).

He’s still an effective player and no where near as bad as you make out, but I’m all for trading him...however with his full NTC this year and the cap constraints of other teams, I don’t see it happening..I do believe he’ll be exposed to Seattle...let’s just hope JR doesn’t pay Seattle a second round pick to take him...

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Trade him if you can get a good deal, keep him otherwise.

(Wow, real insightful stuff from me)
Doesn't he potentially block young guys from contributing though by remaining in the top-6? I'm not saying he is there yet, but we could be trending towards a Kunitz type of situation where you keep a guy in the top 6 based on his contract, when in reality he belongs in the bottom 6.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Out of the 31 teams currently in the NHL, 30 operate without a Patric Hornqvist. Lots of them do so to a better result than we can claim. No other power play has a Hornqvist, yet many work better than ours.

He's about to be 34, takes more punishment than anyone in the league, and makes a good chunk of money on a cash-strapped team that needs a ton of work. I'd already be exploring a trade involving the guy. He'll never play with Sid long-term again. Geno's got Rust at RW now. Hornqvist is firmly locked in at 3RW and I'm just not sure that's worth it.

I like the guy, I was ecstatic when we landed him for Neal and don't regret that deal at all, but if we're talking about shaking things up but the core is not going anywhere, you're pretty much left with Rust, Hornqvist, and Dumo as potential targets. Dumo's Letang's safety blanket that allows him to operate more freely. Rust makes less money, is younger, is locked into a top-6 role, and has roughly the same production as Hornqvist over the last several years, mainly at ES.

Honestly, if we weren't so dead-set on putting Kapanen in the top-6 (which I think is a mistake), I'd say Kapanen arriving is curtains for Hornqvist. We get younger and faster at 3RW.

Kapanen's last 2 years;
147 GP33 G47 A80 PTS
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Hornqvist's last 2 years;
121 GP35 G34 A69 PTS
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

And maybe, just maybe, the guys on the power play will actually move their f***ing feet and get the PKers to shift out of position and open up lanes if Hornqvist was dealt as opposed to planting roots and looking to shoot through half a dozen legs and sticks after passing the puck around for 1:30 of the 2 minute power play.

Reactions: TheTang58

turd

Feb 1, 2013
They should’ve traded him last year like I was advocating for.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Horny's production takes a hit bc he no longer plays with Sid (did he even sniff his line this past season?)

I'm not saying he should have a FT role there, but if he's gonna be stuck on the 3rd line this is what you're gonna get with point totals. He needs guys around him who can finish the chaos he creates.

Our PP sucks with him. And it sucks even worse without him

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Doesn't he potentially block young guys from contributing though by remaining in the top-6? I'm not saying he is there yet, but we could be trending towards a Kunitz type of situation where you keep a guy in the top 6 based on his contract, when in reality he belongs in the bottom 6.

He's no longer in the top 6.

Trade him for a good offer, don't for a bad - unless he's no longer a PP fixture in which case get out of the deal without a hit if you possibly can.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
He's no longer in the top 6.

Trade him for a good offer, don't for a bad - unless he's no longer a PP fixture in which case get out of the deal without a hit if you possibly can.

He's not in the top 6 because Sid doesn't want him on his line, and he doesn't mesh with Geno.

Hornqvist is undeniably a top-6 forward though, even next year.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He's not in the top 6 because Sid doesn't want him on his line, and he doesn't mesh with Geno.

Hornqvist is undeniably a top-6 forward though, even next year.

Quality? Maybe. Position? No. Which was what cassius was talking about I believe. He's not blocking anyone there.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida

Basically 0 production in the last two playoffs and is the definition of a total passenger out there. Hornqvist was an absolute stud during those cup years, but it's clear we are seeing a very degraded version of him these days.

I'm not sure I agree with anything in your post other than the statistical production he's had in the playoffs. However, I'm not sure Sid could garner points with the absolute trash Hornqvist has played with in the bottom 6, + JJ and Schultz behind them. Hornqvist is the best net front player in the NHL and the coaching staff has him playing with guys who can't get the puck on net....it's not a huge mystery why his production has dropped.

As for his body - dude is shredded and takes unmatched abuse. Letang gets hit 5 times per game and gets injured every ~25 games or so. The fact Hornqvist has withstood as much as he has while getting pumelled 20+ times a night is astounding.

Yeah...I'm a big 72 fan.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens can clear cap space with not paying Murray, JJ and probably McCann. Horny can be moved after this year with two years left and probably taking a contract back with a prospect. If the Pens don't win next year and show they are cup contenders in actual wins in the playoffs, Horny will be one of many in the fire sale.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
My take? Trade him if he keeps using white stick tape, keep him if he switches back to black.

Reactions: Headshot77

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Worth noting he actually has a NMC until next off-season, then it's an 8 team no-trade list.

I don't think he's going anywhere, nor do I necessarily think moving him is in our best interests given the make-up of our depth chart. That skill set is still unique in the league and we wouldn't be getting an asset worth a damn for him...just the cap space to allow Johnson to stick around.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Idk I don't think we can afford to lose what Horny brings to the locker room and on the ice. We have next to no toughness and real grit, Horny stands up for his teammates and can get everyone going with his energy and style of play. I'm not talking about the toughness that Enforcers brought back in the day, I'm talking team toughness and grit. Like mentioned above, he is similar to a Gallagher or a Calvert or even a smaller Tom Wilson, Kadri i guess. But these players play with heart AND skill and stick up for their guys so they can play their game.

Teams like the Maple Leafs with oodles of talent but no heart and grit sorely need these players, hell theres a thread on the main boards about the folly of the Kadri trade.

Many playoff heros elevate their style of play to what Hornqvist does every day. Andrew Shaw, DSP, Pat Maroon, (prime kunitz was also this kind of player) TJ Oshie, and i'm sure there are more

Last edited:
Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Trade Murray for a pick and some gravlax, possibly also a can of that insanely foul fermented herring thing that smells worse than a rendering plant. That’ll keep Horny happy.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Hornqvist to Nashville seems obvious to me, they got the cap space to take his whole cap hit on. Maybe they help us and give us a pick or prospect.

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA

Reading this garbage gave me AIDS. This team doesn't have another player that can do what Horny does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad