Player Discussion: Noah Dobson

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I knew there was a reason I liked you. :)

Gamjatang is the shiznit. Damn, I haven't had that in a while. There was a place in LA that had killer gamjatang, I still remember it despite having last been there probably like 15 years ago.

If you're ever in the NY area, I'll take you out for some killer Korean BBQ. We can kidnap Dobson and take him with us like in the movie Celtic Pride...
You got it PW, we can bring MJF too. Seriously Gamjatang(Pork Bone Soup) is the bomb. It is such a visceral experience eating it. I love the banchan that comes with it at the place we go. It's a different experience from ramen which I can gulp down in 5 mins if I wanted to. The process of Gamjatang is much longer, thus you enjoy it longer. It's really filling and cheap too. I have often joked it would be on my short list of last meals. :laugh:

Reactions: PWJunior

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
There’s a 24 hour Korean BBQ place near my house. I can never get anyone to go with me. My family and friends have no interest in trying anything different. No sushi. No Sunday Dim Sum. Only diners, Italian, Mexican and Chinese takeout. BORING.

That's rough, they are missing out. Sucks for you man, there are so many great places in Queens.

If you're that hard up, let me know. We'll kidnap @Bones45 and take him with us while secretly getting Josh Bailey there too so we can read him a greatest posts compilation...

Reactions: buud

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
If you’re still on the Nassau north shore, have you ever tried the Korean BBQ place on Northern Blvd and Francis Lewis in Bayside?

Are you referring to Tang? The place right on the corner across from that pizza place diner thing? My uncle used to work there yet I have never been there, haha.

Didn't realize they were a Korean BBQ place, Tang is soup in Korean.

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Are you referring to Tang? The place right on the corner across from that pizza place diner thing? My uncle used to work there yet I have never been there, haha.

Didn't realize they were a Korean BBQ place, Tang is soup in Korean.
Not sure of the name. It's on the eastbound side of Northern just before Francis Lewis. It's next door to the North Shore Diner.

It's a big place. 24 hours. Really looks nice, new, modern.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Not sure of the name. It's on the eastbound side of Northern just before Francis Lewis. It's next door to the North Shore Diner.

It's a big place. 24 hours. Really looks nice, new, modern.

Yeah, that's it. It's called Tang. I guess I subconsciously avoided it because my uncle worked there. It's mostly a soup type place that has a variety of Korean, Thai, Vietnamese dishes.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yeah, that's it. It's called Tang. I guess I subconsciously avoided it because my uncle worked there. It's mostly a soup type place that has a variety of Korean, Thai, Vietnamese dishes.
Gotcha

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I thought Dobson had a strong game against the Rags last night. I was a bit surprised his ice time was so low, but then I probably shouldn't be considering how conservative Trotz has been with him. His one glaring miscue was when he gloved the puck down and turned it over right in front of the net in the 3rd period. Other than that, I saw a lot of positives.

Dobson seems to have a knack for getting shots on net, he's got a nice shot and release. He's always eager to shoot too so that's a plus considering this roster. I'm also impressed with his ability to carry the puck out of danger and weave through forecheckers. As much as it makes my cheeks clence watching him do it, he's got that Leddy-esque smooth stride that creates separation from forecheckers.

There is still that hint of rookie jitters in his game where his head seems racing a bit, but that's expected. He's still a string bean, but he looks a little less physically overmatched these days and will actually win an occasional board battle so that's another plus. If you project the size and strength gains to his game as he gets older, there is exciting potential there.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I thought Dobson had a strong game against the Rags last night. I was a bit surprised his ice time was so low, but then I probably shouldn't be considering how conservative Trotz has been with him. His one glaring miscue was when he gloved the puck down and turned it over right in front of the net in the 3rd period. Other than that, I saw a lot of positives.

Dobson seems to have a knack for getting shots on net, he's got a nice shot and release. He's always eager to shoot too so that's a plus considering this roster. I'm also impressed with his ability to carry the puck out of danger and weave through forecheckers. As much as it makes my cheeks clence watching him do it, he's got that Leddy-esque smooth stride that creates separation from forecheckers.

There is still that hint of rookie jitters in his game where his head seems racing a bit, but that's expected. He's still a string bean, but he looks a little less physically overmatched these days and will actually win an occasional board battle so that's another plus. If you project the size and strength gains to his game as he gets older, there is exciting potential there.

Looking forward to seeing what Dobson can do down the stretch.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
He was real solid last night; I’m surprised to see that he only had ~8 mins of ice time, it seemed like he had at least 15 mins.

It’s good that he’s getting NHL reps in at this age, because I see huge potential with this kid. Like top 10-d in the league potential

TMI

Dec 15, 2019
He was real solid last night; I’m surprised to see that he only had ~8 mins of ice time, it seemed like he had at least 15 mins.

It’s good that he’s getting NHL reps in at this age, because I see huge potential with this kid. Like top 10-d in the league potential
If the team develops an offense, he will be top 10 in the league, guaranteed. He has the talent, the skating and truly elite hockey sense to be something special.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

Agreed with all of the above. Those jitters will only go away with experience. Hopefully by April, he'll be a lot more comfortable on the ice and Trotz will be more comfortable rolling him out there with a regular shift. I like the way he's being brought along slowly but at some point, the training wheels have to come off, even if there are some bumps. Having an otherwise vet laden D corp certainly helps.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
One thing that's stood out to me so far is how swift of a skater he is! For a big boy he can move.

He's just going to keep getting better and better.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
One thing that's stood out to me so far is how swift of a skater he is! For a big boy he can move.

Dobson is not a quick twitch skater, but he's got a very efficient stride and builds speed like Barzal, Leddy, and Toews. I expect him to gain more burst in his initial strides as he gets stronger, but you've got to love his mobility for a 6'4 kid.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I knew there was a reason I liked you. :)

Gamjatang is the shiznit. Damn, I haven't had that in a while. There was a place in LA that had killer gamjatang, I still remember it despite having last been there probably like 15 years ago.

If you're ever in the NY area, I'll take you out for some killer Korean BBQ. We can kidnap Dobson and take him with us like in the movie Celtic Pride...

OT: I finally know what Dippin' Dots are after watching Undercover Boss the other night. Now I know what you weirdos on the Isles forum kept referring to.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79

and this is why i think the team needs to keep him here. he's quickly mastering the D side of the game, which minimizes his liability. and i love how Trotz is gently indoctrinating him, sheltering him, giving him minutes that he can succeed in, and yet difficult enough to challenge him.

Reactions: mm11 and Riseonfire

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Dobson was really impressive today against Vancouver. Seemed like he was taking a regular shift and actually had more TOI than Boychuk - 12:01 to Dobson's 15:29. Being behind, Trotz probably wanted the more offensive player plus Boychuk wasn't having a great game.

Dobson was flying out there, his most impressive display of his mobility. The kid can really move and was really aggressive in the offensive zone, made some really bold pinches. His ability to carry the puck out of danger is pretty good now and is going to get better. Can't recall a rookie type mistake today, he made a lot of good decisions. He's coming along very nicely.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI and MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Dobson was really impressive today against Vancouver. Seemed like he was taking a regular shift and actually had more TOI than Boychuk - 12:01 to Dobson's 15:29. Being behind, Trotz probably wanted the more offensive player plus Boychuk wasn't having a great game.

Dobson was flying out there, his most impressive display of his mobility. The kid can really move and was really aggressive in the offensive zone, made some really bold pinches. His ability to carry the puck out of danger is pretty good now and is going to get better. Can't recall a rookie type mistake today, he made a lot of good decisions. He's coming along very nicely.
I expect Dobson to be taking a regular shift in the playoffs.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I expect Dobson to be taking a regular shift in the playoffs.

If he continues his progression, I agree. His confidence is growing and every game is going to grow his mental database. His ability to carry the puck out of danger is really starting to emerge. I do still worry that he's overmatched physically against the heavier forechecking teams though.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
If he continues his progression, I agree. His confidence is growing and every game is going to grow his mental database. His ability to carry the puck out of danger is really starting to emerge. I do still worry that he's overmatched physically against the heavier forechecking teams though.

One really important factor is Dobson has played in the highest of highest pressure Junior games for years and has a winning pedigree. I'm looking for Dobson to make a difference in a good way down the stretch here. Kid looks confident lately

TMI

Dec 15, 2019
He will only get better the more he plays, I think he's proven that. The more minutes he gets the better he looks, more confident, better defensively, better reads, better decisions when to pinch, when to rush.. As others have said, he is a sponge, and his hockey sense is off the charts. I think he can contribute as soon as this year's playoffs, provided he gets more regular icetime. Expecting him to "continue his progression by watching from the pressbox" is definitely the wrong approach for this kid.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
He will only get better the more he plays, I think he's proven that. The more minutes he gets the better he looks, more confident, better defensively, better reads, better decisions when to pinch, when to rush.. As others have said, he is a sponge, and his hockey sense is off the charts. I think he can contribute as soon as this year's playoffs, provided he gets more regular icetime. Expecting him to "continue his progression by watching from the pressbox" is definitely the wrong approach for this kid.
Not exactly a Wally Pipp situation but it sucks that Pelech getting hurt was the impetus for it.

I think your assessment might be a bit optimistic, but I hope you're right.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I thought Dobson had his best game of the season last night. He was more confident in his decision-making, more smooth, positionally correct. He gets better with each week.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I thought Dobson had his best game of the season last night. He was more confident in his decision-making, more smooth, positionally correct. He gets better with each week.

Seemed like Trotz gave Dobson a regular shift all game and he clearly deserved it. Let's also not forget that he's playing LD so the degree of difficulty is that much higher. I also like that Trotz gives him #2PP time and he looks pretty good running the point. He does a nice job of getting shots on net and generally looks pretty comfortable.

We should start calling him the Big Smooth, everything he does just looks so efficient. I am really loving his skating, it's plus even for a short guy and he's 6'4. When you combine his length, he's going to be really disruptive defensively. His puck moving ability was eye opening against the Canucks.

Reactions: MJF and beach

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
He seems to have learned what to do when he crosses the blue line, I remember a few lateral passes that were picked off.
Answer:
He grows into a stud!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad