Player Discussion: Noah Dobson

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I think they send him to the WJC. Then he comes back, and is sent to the AHL for a "conditioning stint' for a week or 2.
I think that largely depends on the health of our depth Dmen in the system. If Hickey, Aho and the next potential callups are back skating, I agree that its a possibility/probability. But if we get a rash of injuries either with the big club or in BP, we may not be able to afford sending him away for that long.

Personally, I'm not too concerned about his lack of recent playing time. Right now, he's practicing with the team, learning what its like to be a pro and watching from the press box. He'll get his games in. The Islanders had a pretty light schedule in Oct/Nov. Its going to ramp as the new year approaches and passes. More than likely, he'll get at least one game of any back to back and if there are any injuries - whether on the left side or right - he'll get in the game.

My guess is that he stays with the team for the entire season and doesn't get sent to WJC, but that's only a guess.

Reactions: scott99

scott99

May 13, 2005
I think that largely depends on the health of our depth Dmen in the system. If Hickey, Aho and the next potential callups are back skating, I agree that its a possibility/probability. But if we get a rash of injuries either with the big club or in BP, we may not be able to afford sending him away for that long.

Personally, I'm not too concerned about his lack of recent playing time. Right now, he's practicing with the team, learning what its like to be a pro and watching from the press box. He'll get his games in. The Islanders had a pretty light schedule in Oct/Nov. Its going to ramp as the new year approaches and passes. More than likely, he'll get at least one game of any back to back and if there are any injuries - whether on the left side or right - he'll get in the game.

My guess is that he stays with the team for the entire season and doesn't get sent to WJC, but that's only a guess.
Your last sentence may come true. BUT, if he's hardly playing at all when that time comes, I wouldn't be surprised if they sent him. If he goes and plays well, wins the championship, he comes back with even MORE confidence. These guys LOVE playing for their country, so if the Canadian coaches ask the Isle's organization, it wouldn't be surprising to see him in Canada's lineup.

Reactions: crasherino

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If one of the big boys needs a rest down the stretch. Ie load mgt. its good to have noah part of this. Practicing and being around the team can only help him.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

mdubs585

Jan 15, 2018
Manhattan, New York
The Isles have been both good and fortunate. They deserve everything they've achieved, but you don't go on a run like this without some good fortune along the way. Part of that good fortune has been a steadily healthy blue line. It feels like we're wasting an opportunity for him to get some experience, but we're inevitably going to suffer an injury on the backend at some point. He'll get his opportunity to play regularly.

Reactions: dood

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
The Isles have been both good and fortunate. They deserve everything they've achieved, but you don't go on a run like this without some good fortune along the way. Part of that good fortune has been a steadily healthy blue line. It feels like we're wasting an opportunity for him to get some experience, but we're inevitably going to suffer an injury on the backend at some point. He'll get his opportunity to play regularly.

And in the meantime Dobson can hit the weightroom and add some much needed man strength to his frame. More strength and experience is the only thing keeping him from being an elite defenseman.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Whether or not he goes to the WJC, he should be with the Isles for the remainder of the year. He's just so clearly a level above what any other #7 depth d-man would bring us. Personally I'd bounce Boychuk out right now in favor of him but I get it - we're winning games.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Bob McKenzie said that he “wouldn’t hold his breath” on the Islanders loaning Dobson for the WJHC today during Canada’s selection camp roster announcement. He’s usually pretty spot on with these things.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Whether or not he goes to the WJC, he should be with the Isles for the remainder of the year. He's just so clearly a level above what any other #7 depth d-man would bring us. Personally I'd bounce Boychuk out right now in favor of him but I get it - we're winning games.
I don't understand comments like these and don't know what you have been watching. There is little question that Dobson is going to be a top-pair D man someday, and it should happen sooner rather than later, but he is far from that now and to suggest otherwise is wishful thinking or willful blindness or both.

Last edited:

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I don't understand comments like these and don't know what you have been watching. There is little question that Dobson is going to be a top-line D man someday, and sooner rather than later, but he is far from that now and to suggest otherwise is wishful thinking or willful blindness or both.

I have to agree on the wishful thinking and willful bliss. Sounds like me in high school going after Mary Anne Moffitt unfortunately

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Dobson is best where he is, IMO. learning the pro game inside and out, by some of the best.

at the start of next season, he will 20, will have a spot on the team, and already have the experience of going to the conference final. i'm ok with that.

Reactions: Poster Unknown

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I don't understand comments like these and don't know what you have been watching. There is little question that Dobson is going to be a top-pair D man someday, and it should happen sooner rather than later, but he is far from that now and to suggest otherwise is wishful thinking or willful blindness or both.

lol you highlighted me saying "he's a level above what any other #7 would bring us" and then translated that into "he's top pairing right now". Unless you think Boychuk is top pairing, in which case I'd ask what have YOU been watching? The guy is pretty mediocre at this point....and plain bad on some nights.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
lol you highlighted me saying "he's a level above what any other #7 would bring us" and then translated that into "he's top pairing right now". Unless you think Boychuk is top pairing, in which case I'd ask what have YOU been watching? The guy is pretty mediocre at this point....and plain bad on some nights.
If you think Boychuk is bad, you should just stop watching hockey. In the games Dobson has played he has had more mistakes and giveaways in each period than Boychuk has had the whole season. Dobson has a great future and hopefully he lives up to his potential, but right now he is not in the same league as any of our starting defensemen on one of the top teams in the league.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
If you think Boychuk is bad, you should just stop watching hockey. In the games Dobson has played he has had more mistakes and giveaways in each period than Boychuk has had the whole season. Dobson has a great future and hopefully he lives up to his potential, but right now he is not in the same league as any of our starting defensemen on one of the top teams in the league.

The idea that Dobson has been a turnover machine just isn't true. Moreover, Dobson's been on his off side, which can't be that easy for an inexperienced player. The thing is that Boychuk plays a role that Dobson does not, which is why he hasn't been in the lineup. Boychuk's lack of acceleration has led to lots of zone-time against.

Also, how does anyone expect a guy like Dobson to get any rhythm playing once every two weeks?

Reactions: blinkman360

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

Some nights he absolutely is. Unless panicking with the puck on your stick in your own zone on a consistent basis is good hockey. Can't count how many times he coughs it up, even with no one around him. I guess I'll stop watching though. Thanks for the advice.

BTW, you realize Dobson plays what...once every 2 weeks(if that)....on his off-side. But he didn't have a great game in his last game after a 3 week break so he's clearly not ready. What's funny is I bet even if we had Cale Makar people would be saying "keep him in Bridgeport for the full year....too much seasoning can't hurt".

I'd rather have Dobson getting his exp on the 3rd pair right now than watch Boych lose a step in front of my eyes, but I guess I'm in the minority on that one. Oh well, guess I'm one of those "futurez guyz".

Reactions: dano16

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I was just thinking would a WJC be good for his development. There is no doubt he would be the best player on Team Canada if Lou thought it was best for him to go.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I was just thinking would a WJC be good for his development. There is no doubt he would be the best player on Team Canada if Lou thought it was best for him to go.

It would be good for him, but NYI will be on the road for much of that time. Given the injuries, and the fact that Aho doesn't play the right role, NYI would probably have to call up Wotherspoon as a 7th D. If Hickey were healthy, I'd say let him go for sure, but he isn't.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I've seen a lot of bad misreadings of posts, but very few plainly dishonest ones. When and where did I imply that you or anyone else, including myself, said he's a top pair D man right now? The bottom line is that you believe Dobson is NHL ready now. I disagree. That's fine, that's part of what the site is about, but do me a favor and don't put words in my mouth.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It would be good for him, but NYI will be on the road for much of that time. Given the injuries, and the fact that Aho doesn't play the right role, NYI would probably have to call up Wotherspoon as a 7th D. If Hickey were healthy, I'd say let him go for sure, but he isn't.
I agree here. I also think it would depend on how Noah views it. He may not want to leave the big team.

Reactions: dano16 and dood

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I've seen a lot of bad misreadings of posts, but very few plainly dishonest ones. When and where did I imply that you or anyone else, including myself, said he's a top pair D man right now? The bottom line is that you believe Dobson is NHL ready now. I disagree. That's fine, that's part of what the site is about, but do me a favor and don't put words in my mouth.

Dishonest? Am I high or something? Go re-read what you wrote. Was there any other way to interpret that? You highlighted me saying "Dobson is better than any other #7 we could get" and "he should be playing over Boychuk" and responded with "he's not top pairing yet, and to suggest otherwise is blah blah blah".

So, using my skills of deduction, these are the potential conclusions I've drawn:

1) You took me saying "Dobson is better than any other #7" as "Dobson is top pairing"
2) You view Boychuk as top pairing, and took me saying "Dobson should be playing over Boychuk" as "Dobson should be playing over our top pairing D, so naturally I believe Dobson is top pairing"
3) You quoted me by mistake and decided to randomly highlight some stuff I said
4) You forgot what you wrote

If it's #4 I get it...happens to me every now and then. Getting older sucks.

Reactions: dano16

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Dishonest? Am I high or something? Go re-read what you wrote. Was there any other way to interpret that? You highlighted me saying "Dobson is better than any other #7 we could get" and "he should be playing over Boychuk" and responded with "he's not top pairing yet, and to suggest otherwise is blah blah blah".

So, using my skills of deduction, these are the potential conclusions I've drawn:

1) You took me saying "Dobson is better than any other #7" as "Dobson is top pairing"
2) You view Boychuk as top pairing, and took me saying "Dobson should be playing over Boychuk" as "Dobson should be playing over our top pairing D, so naturally I believe Dobson is top pairing"
3) You quoted me by mistake and decided to randomly highlight some stuff I said
4) You forgot what you wrote

If it's #4 I get it...happens to me every now and then. Getting older sucks.
Then your powers of deduction and ability to read are so out to lunch and convoluted that further discussion is pointless. I neither said nor implied anything like what you have concluded and have no idea how anyone could get to where you got..

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Then your powers of deduction and ability to read are so out to lunch and convoluted that further discussion is pointless. I neither said nor implied anything like what you have concluded and have no idea how anyone could get to where you got..

Oh...I get it...this is a troll. Damn, you got me pretty good.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I’m hoping Dobson gets loaned to WJC. He can get some big minutes and hopefully makeup for that unfortunate stick break from last year.

I always thought it unfortunate that the Snow/Wang cap jujitsu essentially robbed Josh Bailey of a chance at a world junior medal and memorial cup. Although he did get some sweet chainz! :sarcasm:

Reactions: JKP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad