Player Discussion: Noah Dobson

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I think moving both is extreme. I could see one or the other, despite what many feel, when Boychuk is out of the lineup, historically, we've been bad.

Leddy is another story, since Toews has a similar skillset and Dobson is also more mobile. I would be concerned about injuries w/o Leddy and Boychuk in the fold. I guess we'd be looking at Hickey or Aho as a #6.

I'm all for getting Dobson the experience, but we know where Trotz stands and that's that the NHL is not a Development League. I feel Beauvillier has the skillset to be a top line Winger if only he'd get an extended look on Barzal's wing. He is right up there with Nelson as the best shot on the team and he has the wheels to keep up with Barzal.
Hickey as our #6 would be a step backwards.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Hickey cannot be on a starting member for this team anymore, his time is up. I don't mind him as depth, but that's it.

He's done as far as I'm concerned. If he can't be moved, then keeping him in the AHL and recouping that $1M in cap space is the way to go. If we need to call up anyone then I go with any of the kids before him.

It's certainly a harsh ending to a distinguished career, but he's served his purpose and it's time to move on.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
He's done as far as I'm concerned. If he can't be moved, then keeping him in the AHL and recouping that $1M in cap space is the way to go. If we need to call up anyone then I go with any of the kids before him.

It's certainly a harsh ending to a distinguished career, but he's served his purpose and it's time to move on.

Probably was unfortunte to be drafted #4 overall, always had that albatross to live up to . . . kind of like that other #4 overall pick we made at the same position

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

Even Hickey's biggest supporters would have to admit that he's always been trash in the playoffs. Just gets completely manhandled.

As far as Dobson, as much as I think he deserves to play right now, and how big it would be to get him some postseason experience right now in prep of him getting a bigger role next year, it makes sense that Trotz would go with the veteran. If someone struggles though I'm all for a quick trigger and bringing Dobber in. He's already proven that he belongs. Sky is the limit for this kid.

Reactions: PWJunior

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Even Hickey's biggest supporters would have to admit that he's always been trash in the playoffs. Just gets completely manhandled.

As far as Dobson, as much as I think he deserves to play right now, and how big it would be to get him some postseason experience right now in prep of him getting a bigger role next year, it makes sense that Trotz would go with the veteran. If someone struggles though I'm all for a quick trigger and bringing Dobber in. He's already proven that he belongs. Sky is the limit for this kid.

Going with Greene and the experience was the right play today. Maybe Dobson gets a game tomorrow?

Reactions: blinkman360

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Going with Greene and the experience was the right play today. Maybe Dobson gets a game tomorrow?

The problem is the only other candidate to replace Dobson with is Leddy, and even if Leddy struggles, benching him in the playoffs will really hurt his value in the offseason. I'm still holding out hope for a 1st.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Doubt it.

I’m just hopeful Matt Martin drops Mike Matheson on his first shift tomorrow :nod:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Dobson should be in next game. He can inject some offence from the blue line. Greene has been ok, but I am not sold on the lefty lefty combination. Didn't really notice him today or yesterday for that matter. I would add Dobson to Leddy for game 4. Not enough offence right now against a Florida team that is very poor defensively. I have enough confidence in Dobson's D game to make this move. Time to take the shackles off this kid, he is a memorial cup monster with playoff pedigree. No doubt to me he would help and be up to the challenge.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Dobson should be in next game. He can inject some offence from the blue line. Greene has been ok, but I am not sold on the lefty lefty combination. Didn't really notice him today or yesterday for that matter. I would add Dobson to Leddy for game 4. Not enough offence right now against a Florida team that is very poor defensively. I have enough confidence in Dobson's D game to make this move. Time to take the shackles off this kid, he is a memorial cup monster with playoff pedigree. No doubt to me he would help and be up to the challenge.

Greene didn't blow it for us. I don't see putting an untested Dobson in to close out the series as our best option. CHL playoff experience is good for character building and confidence but it won't translate to effectiveness vs. NHL players, guys that are grown men, not teenagers.

Toews, Leddy and Pulock all have offensive ability, at this stage I don't see Dobson being creative to the degree that you can justify putting him in. If anything, maybe you have guys cover for Leddy and allow him to carry the puck more. When we are desperate, Leddy is the most consistent when it comes to gaining the zone and getting pucks on net. He doesn't wind up in this situation often but when he does he shines.

Wouldn't mind Dobson proving me wrong, just think it's a dicey move and one mistake that leads to a game 5 could be debilitating for his confidence.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Greene didn't blow it for us. I don't see putting an untested Dobson in to close out the series as our best option. CHL playoff experience is good for character building and confidence but it won't translate to effectiveness vs. NHL players, guys that are grown men, not teenagers.

Toews, Leddy and Pulock all have offensive ability, at this stage I don't see Dobson being creative to the degree that you can justify putting him in. If anything, maybe you have guys cover for Leddy and allow him to carry the puck more. When we are desperate, Leddy is the most consistent when it comes to gaining the zone and getting pucks on net. He doesn't wind up in this situation often but when he does he shines.

Wouldn't mind Dobson proving me wrong, just think it's a dicey move and one mistake that leads to a game 5 could be debilitating for his confidence.
Yeah, you can play it safe, or go for the gusto. I am looking at it as going for the gusto, because I don't see Dobson playing worse than Mayfield or Greene. I want difference makers. Also looking at the big picture. This is a big piece of the Isles organization, he has been eased in this year, and we are still in a playoff qualifer. Not playoff series. Game 4 is a perfect time to put him in. There are times I see Seth Jones controlling a game offensively and defensively. He had his start with Nashville in the playoffs at 19. Being overly conservative also and it may be 2-2, wish I had a crystal ball.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Yeah, you can play it safe, or go for the gusto. I am looking at it as going for the gusto, because I don't see Dobson playing worse than Mayfield or Greene. I want difference makers. Also looking at the big picture. This is a big piece of the Isles organization, he has been eased in this year, and we are still in a playoff qualifer. Not playoff series. Game 4 is a perfect time to put him in. There are times I see Seth Jones controlling a game offensively and defensively. He had his start with Nashville in the playoffs at 19. Being overly conservative also and it may be 2-2, wish I had a crystal ball.

Totally respect your position and appreciate your participation in the Isles discussions as you are a top contributor. I was all for getting him minutes in the regular season for this very reason, so he'd be, a the least, a little seasoned when the post season came around. It's been a long time since Dobson saw NHL ice. He made egregious mistakes when he first got opportunity , which were not related to his technical skillset but everything to do with nerves and adapting to a high pressure situation.

Cats are playing a physical brand and that is where Green or Mayfield do have an advantage over Dobson, is being able to take those checks and dish them out. What this group needs more than anything is Barzal and Lee to score. Either way, I can't say it wouldn't be exciting to see Dobson next game but I'd also be lying if I said it wouldn't give me sweaty palms.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Totally respect your position and appreciate your participation in the Isles discussions as you are a top contributor. I was all for getting him minutes in the regular season for this very reason, so he'd be, a the least, a little seasoned when the post season came around. It's been a long time since Dobson saw NHL ice. He made egregious mistakes when he first got opportunity , which were not related to his technical skillset but everything to do with nerves and adapting to a high pressure situation.

Cats are playing a physical brand and that is where Green or Mayfield do have an advantage over Dobson, is being able to take those checks and dish them out. What this group needs more than anything is Barzal and Lee to score. Either way, I can't say it wouldn't be exciting to see Dobson next game but I'd also be lying if I said it wouldn't give me sweaty palms.
Thanks GrandmaSlice. For a lesser young player, maybe I would have more reservations. The one thing about Dobson, and I think Barry said it, is he learns from his mistakes. I have to have confidence he has learned from his easing into the NHL. Even Bobby Orr made mistakes when he was a rookie! I am willing to insert him because I think he can help the team. That's really it. I don't think Greene has been bad, but I also don't think he has made a difference. Florida is not a good team defensively. Isles are getting some production, but not nearly enough. I know the game is still D. But I can see Dobson help move the puck quicker to the fwds. The Isles Team D will take care it itself.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The one positive tonight was Dobson debuting in a game 6 elimination in the conference finals and playing very well. He only made one minor mistake, but he was an overall positive when he was out there. Good puck mover, poised, and knows when to jump up. His 12:55 TOI will go a long way to his confidence next season when he will be a regular. Glad he got into a high pressure playoff game. Noah is poised beyond his years. A player with a very bright future.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
The one positive tonight was Dobson debuting in a game 6 elimination in the conference finals and playing very well. He only made one minor mistake, but he was an overall positive when he was out there. Good puck mover, poised, and knows when to jump up. His 12:55 TOI will go a long way to his confidence next season when he will be a regular. Glad he got into a high pressure playoff game. Noah is poised beyond his years. A player with a very bright future.

I think he was about as good as anyone could have hoped considering the situation. Elimination game against a dominant offensive team; not having played an actual game in months. He was really impressive.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Getting Pelech back is one of the bigger impacts any team will have from the pushed back season. 22 minutes of shutdown hockey from the 2nd pairing will help get us back on track.
Us? As in fake Islanders fan? You just posted this tonight wben the Isles lost.
Well that just made for a great night. Couldn't smile larger if I tried, after all the shit this year. Just perfection.
Around the NHL - Playoff Edition - The Final 4

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Us? As in fake Islanders fan? You just posted this tonight wben the Isles lost. Around the NHL - Playoff Edition - The Final 4

Just took a quick look at some of the pages in that thread, got to love Leafs fans and their fancy stats, lol. Spreadsheets!!!

Stats that apparently indicate the Leafs played better defense in one series against the mighty, offensive juggernaut that is the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Meanwhile the Isles played the Florida Panthers (who have some elite talent upfront), the Capitals, Flyers and the Lightning.

I would hope the Leafs "defense" comes out looking better.

Anyway, I would be interested in seeing a Leddy-Dobson pairing next year - if Leddy is still with the Isles. A Toews-Dobson pairing could also be interesting.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Us? As in fake Islanders fan? You just posted this tonight wben the Isles lost. Around the NHL - Playoff Edition - The Final 4

Lol at that guy's troll account. Noticed he's been telling people he was an Islanders fan until they lost a certain someone, also says that the forum and recent events have pushed him away, or something. No one that was actually an Islanders fan has left after they brought in Lou, Trotz, a winning culture, and a new arena.

It's pathetic how low people will go to troll.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad