Player Discussion: Noah Dobson

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
So Islanders fans what happens with Dobson he has 5 games played 2 assists so does he stay the whole year or play 9 games before the juniors then get sent back to the Q,has a Huskies fan it would be huge if he's sent down we would get a lot in return in a trade.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
So Islanders fans what happens with Dobson he has 5 games played 2 assists so does he stay the whole year or play 9 games before the juniors then get sent back to the Q,has a Huskies fan it would be huge if he's sent down we would get a lot in return in a trade.
He’s here for the long haul methinks. Playing whenever someone is hurt or simply needs a breather.

Lou doesn’t want him sent to the Q because he feels as though he’s moved beyond that and all that will happen to him there is he gets overworked. So I think the least likely thing is him getting sent there

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
I think the Isles will keep their options open until they are forced to make a decision. I think he gets released to Canada for the WJC, AHL conditioning stint right after, and then decision time.
This was the rumour before the season from out of Summerside on Twitter that Doug MacLean I think retweeted... (if old / faulty memory serves)

WJC makes a lot of sense. He'd be a horse for the team in what's a pretty elite tournament. Still wish Snow had sent Bailey to the WJC in his first year.

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
I also think he'll get sent to the WJC and then be back with the Isles for the remainder of the season.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
This was the rumour before the season from out of Summerside on Twitter that Doug MacLean I think retweeted... (if old / faulty memory serves)

WJC makes a lot of sense. He'd be a horse for the team in what's a pretty elite tournament. Still wish Snow had sent Bailey to the WJC in his first year.

Dobson does have unfinished business with the stick break from last year's tourney. If he is indeed released for the WJC, it's either him or Ty Smith wearing the C for Canada and he'll definitely be a horse in all situations. This year's team has talent, winning gold would be a nice little treat for him and his confidence would be sky high when he returns to LI afterwards.

Selfishly as an Isles fan, I wouldn't mind returning to him to the Q after the WJC and possible AHL conditioning stint. He'll get dealt to another contender and could win a 3rd Memorial Cup, he has yet to win MVP of that tourney...

Whatever happens, I feel really good about next year's version of Dobson being able to take a full time NHL role and continue his upward trajectory. High end hockey IQ with his tools/skills, he's our future #1D on an already strong defense group.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
We've been pretty fortunate - Leddy's current situation excluded - with injuries. That probably won't last. With the injuries to our depth guys in Bridgeport (Aho, Hickey, etc.), I'm not sure we can even afford to send him to the WJCs. Assuming the team is resigned to the fact that he's going to get his 9+ games with the team at some point this season, I think you just keep him here as the 7th defender, roll him into the lineup every 3rd/4th game - even when everyone is healthy - and have him for that inevitable injury(ies) that always pop up. Even if he's sitting at times, he'll easily get 35+ games over the course of the season. That's perfectly fine for a 19 year old.

He'll gain more valuable experience practicing and traveling with the team even if he's not playing every day than he will at the WJC playing first pairing minutes.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
He stays, and plays roughly half a season, I don't see him going to Bridgeport next year. Also I wouldn't expect him for the WJC U20's.

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
Didn't Lou state fairly recently that there's no plan to send him down?

I think he's here to stay, gradually increasing his minutes.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Didn't Lou state fairly recently that there's no plan to send him down?

I think he's here to stay, gradually increasing his minutes.
He's definitely not going back to Juniors. I think Lou was clear in that regard. Question is whether he plays in the WJC.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
I hope he plays excellent again tonight and makes it impossible to bench him.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I don't think the 9 games is a consideration at this point. Trotz is starting to trust him more, and his versatility/ability to play the left side means that he's going to be here. The schedule is going to get more demanding, and there are players (i.e. Boychuk) who will be spelled. I think he ends up playing 30 games at a minimum.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
He'll gain more valuable experience practicing and traveling with the team even if he's not playing every day than he will at the WJC playing first pairing minutes.
Disagree a bit with this. The pressure of that tournament for team Canada is huge. Playing in that kind of pressure with the best 19 yos not in the NHL I think will help him more than a couple weeks of NHL grind in late Dec and early Jan.

Reactions: PWJunior

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
He can always come back to the isles if he’s released to Team Canada for the WJC right? Or once he goes he has to return to junior?

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
I’m of the opinion that he should stay the entire season. The kid has excellent poise, and hockey IQ for a d-man at that age.

He just really needs to bulk up, refine his defensive game, and he’ll be one of our top D-men as early as next season.

I wasn’t exactly sold on Dobson when we drafted him, but I’ve liked what I’ve seen from him thus far

cbtitan

Oct 3, 2017
The way it is going, there is no doubt in my mind that Dobson will be lent to the Canada Junior team for the World Cup and that he will not play 10 games before the Tournament.
A decision will be taken early January on his situation.

Reactions: PWJunior

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
He'll play here and there, giving a regular a breathing spell.

Slow cooked isn't bad, Extra tasty.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I think they send him to the WJC. Then he comes back, and is sent to the AHL for a "conditioning stint' for a week or 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad