What happens when our team becomes fully healthy?

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Bertuzzi will not retire. Because he's on an over-35 contract, the Wings will keep him on LTIR for the rest of his contract should he be unable to play. Retirement would keep the team on the hook for his cap hit; LTIR would not.

Shadywing19

Jan 26, 2013
@AnsarKhanMLive: @GJennings19 Andersson said he's finding a place cuz of rule that allows teams to keep players in hotel for no more than 30 days (cont) ...

@AnsarKhanMLive: @GJennings19 ... Andersson could still be sent down to GR when players return. No idea on whether Bertuzzi will return this season.

So... Ya... About that haha

RedWingsNow*

This season is really strange to watch the playing time of many players.
Lots of fans here are complaining about playing time etc but I think management is just TESTING those players to determine what Holland will do at the deadline.

1) Determine if Cleary has really regressed, or did he just start off slow??
2) Determine if our good 4th line checker Abdelkader has any offensive upside??
3) Determine if Tatar is NHL ready? (Try to isolate him to 3rd and 4th lines, so he can have success there to move up later)
4) Determine if Kindl will be traded at the deadline.
5) Determine which of our 7 D-men we like the most? - It seems as though this changes night to night but main stays have to be Kronwall (offence), Ericsson (Defense), Thats it so far.
6) Determine if Eaves is still the player he was 2 years ago? (Can he do 3rd line minutes)
7) Determine if Emmerton / Mursak need to be waived and/or traded this year (Mursak decision already done)
8) Determine if Joakim Anderson is an NHL talent.

Once this analysis is done.

Holland is going to have to make some trades at the deadline OR after this season.

Here are ALL of our possible line combinations:

Franzen-Zetterberg-Brunner
Samuelsson-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi
Cleary-Filppula-Abdelkader
Tatar-Anderson-Eaves
Tootoo-Emmerton-Miller
Nyquist-Helm-

I mean that is ALOT of forwards. We need what 13? We currently have 17 for next season.
So 4 of these names is going to have to go. (Maybe Nyquist just stays as the number 1 call up likely to play half the season due to obviously some injury will happen) so lets say 16.

3 HAVE to go.

Bertuzzi retires?
Helm comes back this year I HOPE!
I'll be honest EVEN though i like them. The names most likely to go are:
Eaves / Miller and.... I don't know.

I can't choose.

Wait, so the board that thinks that Babcock doesn't have the clout to call up Smith if he wants him badly... thinks that Babcock is putting ****** lines out there as a test so that Holland knows what he's gonna do at the deadline???

:help:

Holland is very, very conservative in terms of roster moves (in stark Contrast to the Wild Kenny days of his youth).
He said the other day that he's not going to make any moves if this team isn't a playoff team.

If this team is sitting comfy in the playoffs and a contender, then he'll make a move - maybe.

Personally, I think it's time to ship a reserve forward and defensemen + a prospect for a legit RHD.

Takes care of a couple problems... One it gives you the D you need. two, it ships off an excess forward to make room for youth that has EARNED its spot

RedWingsNow*

@AnsarKhanMLive: @GJennings19 Andersson said he's finding a place cuz of rule that allows teams to keep players in hotel for no more than 30 days (cont) ...

@AnsarKhanMLive: @GJennings19 ... Andersson could still be sent down to GR when players return. No idea on whether Bertuzzi will return this season.

Why isn't Andersson staying at Z's house or Franzen's house or whatever?

crashman

Bertuzzi will not retire. Because he's on an over-35 contract, the Wings will keep him on LTIR for the rest of his contract should he be unable to play. Retirement would keep the team on the hook for his cap hit; LTIR would not.

Hmmm...must be what Pronger is doing.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
If Bert is done, and the Wings are in a decent position to make the playoffs at the deadline, I think we really need to make an addition to the top 6.

I like what Bertuzzi brings to this team and it's a shame if his back problems prevent him from playing, but if that's the case, he needs to be replaced by a scoring winger. As much as I'd like to think Tatar, Sammy, or Nyquist could be that guy, I think the Wings need to look for someone a bit...better.

For a longer playoff push I agree, but I don't think we are just that winger away from being a contender. If it makes sense long term (i.e. Perry) then sure.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Brunner - Zetterberg - Filppula
Cleary - Datsyuk - Franzen
???? - Helm - ????
Abdelkader - Emmerton - ?????

Filled in players are practical locks, so that leaves 3 spots dispersed amongst

Miller
Tootoo
Tatar
Andersson
Eaves
Samuelsson
Bertuzzi?

I think Samuelsson, Tootoo, and Miller are the 3, although I think having Tatar instead of Miller would be a wiser move... Having anybody but Samuelsson would be a wise move.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Brunner - Zetterberg - Filppula
Cleary - Datsyuk - Franzen
???? - Helm - ????
Abdelkader - Emmerton - ?????

Filled in players are practical locks, so that leaves 3 spots dispersed amongst

Miller
Tootoo
Tatar
Andersson
Eaves
Samuelsson
Bertuzzi?

I think Samuelsson, Tootoo, and Miller are the 3, although I think having Tatar instead of Miller would be a wiser move... Having anybody but Samuelsson would be a wise move.

Well if you are doing the pecking order to play then Bert and Sammy are clearly ahead of anyone else in that gang. Only thing that'll keep them out are injuries.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
bert will not be back this season

if we make the playoffs
-white traded at deadline to ottawa for a 2nd rd pick
-huskins waived/reassigned to GR
-cc sits in the press box

if we miss the playoffs
-white traded for a 2nd rd pick
-cleary traded for a 5th rd pick
-miller traded for a 4th rd pick
-tatar/andersson sent down to GR
-filppula traded for a 1st rd pick

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
Andersson as a winger? They he'll/they will do it?

Nose/Z/Mule
Flip/Pasha/Sammy
Abby/Helm/Cleary (you know this line will happen)
? /Emdog/Toots

We like Miller. Maybe put Andersson there, for giggles. It keeps Emmerton at center. Or, since Andersson may end being better at center than Emmerton? Put Emmerton on wing! That dude has a hell of a shot. Let him focus on just scoring...

Emmerton/Andersson/TooToo??

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

if we make the playoffs

if we miss the playoffs

I wonder if we can squeeze a first out of someone at the deadline. Depends on the interest, obviously, but that'd be wonderful.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

if we make the playoffs

if we miss the playoffs

Unfortunately Wings will not be in or out of the playoffs by April 3rd, so that's hindsight. 12 games left to the deadline and 12 games after the deadline. If we can get an overpayment for a depth player we should take it though.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!

if we make the playoffs

if we miss the playoffs

Wouldn't Detroit missing the playoffs mean guys being traded and more of the Grand Rapids players being used in Detroit, rather than being sent back down? Guys like Andersson and Tatar would stay on the roster and be used if guys like Miller, Cleary, White, and Filppula are traded, and in this scenario, wouldn't that even add a spot on the roster potentially?

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit
Emmerton should not be waived/traded before, at least, Eaves and Miller. He has impressed me with his improvement. It's always good to have depth at center.

It sounds like Andersson is staying up regardless. I'm not sure if he drops down to the 4th line when Helm comes back, or if Emmerton stays and Joker gets scratched.

Depending on the return, White should be trade bait. Huskins probably gets waived. Cola can be a 6/7 D. Lashoff can always be sent down to GR to make room.

Abby won't be traded after signing that 4-year deal. Wings clearly value him.

Wings should seriously look into trading Sammy to make room for Tatar. Plain and simple, Sammy is old, always injured, and adds nothing to our team. Tatar is the exact opposite of that.

Nyquist clearly isn't getting another shot this season. Maybe come playoff time, if we make it. He should without question be up full-time next season. Will that actually happen though? Depends on who we cut loose during the off-season. Cleary, I'm looking at you.

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit

Interesting. I wasn't aware of that rule. So, really, we were all looking too much into Joker finding a place to live. Hopefully, that means Tatar is still ahead on the pecking order.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Wings should seriously look into trading Sammy to make room for Tatar. Plain and simple, Sammy is old, always injured, and adds nothing to our team. Tatar is the exact opposite of that.

Nyquist clearly isn't getting another shot this season. Maybe come playoff time, if we make it. He should without question be up full-time next season. Will that actually happen though? Depends on who we cut loose during the off-season. Cleary, I'm looking at you.

Sammy has a full NTC, he won't be going anywhere. Also It sure sounded like Holland thought Nyquist would be playing in the NHL by the end of the year

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit
Sammy has a full NTC, he won't be going anywhere. Also It sure sounded like Holland thought Nyquist would be playing in the NHL by the end of the year

Dammit, you're right! Why in the hell would Holland give a guy like Sammy a NTC?

I guess Sammy being injured is the best thing we can hope for at this point. White deserves IT for injuring Sammy.

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Wouldn't Detroit missing the playoffs mean guys being traded and more of the Grand Rapids players being used in Detroit, rather than being sent back down? Guys like Andersson and Tatar would stay on the roster and be used if guys like Miller, Cleary, White, and Filppula are traded, and in this scenario, wouldn't that even add a spot on the roster potentially?

no i dont think so,

i think if we miss the playoffs guys like tatar and andersson will be sent down to play with GR in the AHL playoffs to gain valuable exposure and experience and more importantly to help increase the chances we win down there

i am not saying all those guys would be moved bu some of them yes

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
In about two weeks or so when Helm is healthy how would you all feel about helmer winging on Datsyuk's line?

I don't mind it if Samuelson and Fillipula is still out. It frees up abby to the 4th line forechecking role. And while he isn't much better in the hands department (unless wrist injury improved his) he would seem to be a better fit in the energy+hustle component than abby.

He from what I remember should be better at recieving passes and I believe him + datsyuk forechecking would be a decent fit all things considering. Also the reason I am suggesting this is me personally if I was coach, I would be loathe to break up our current 3rd line. They for the ice time they recieve are doing great (all but eaves is averaging .5 ppg atm) especially considering how little ice time they recieve (pretty much always less than 12 mins a game).

Oh and by the way first post from a long time lurker :yo:

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit
In about two weeks or so when Helm is healthy how would you all feel about helmer winging on Datsyuk's line?

I don't mind it if Samuelson and Fillipula is still out. It frees up abby to the 4th line forechecking role. And while he isn't much better in the hands department (unless wrist injury improved his) he would seem to be a better fit in the energy+hustle component than abby.

He from what I remember should be better at recieving passes and I believe him + datsyuk forechecking would be a decent fit all things considering. Also the reason I am suggesting this is me personally if I was coach, I would be loathe to break up our current 3rd line. They for the ice time they recieve are doing great (all but eaves is averaging .5 ppg atm) especially considering how little ice time they recieve (pretty much always less than 12 mins a game).

Oh and by the way first post from a long time lurker :yo:

:welcome:

Helm can't be any worse than Abby/Cleary on Datsyuk's wing. He has better speed, can win board battles, and hangs on to the puck. We can afford the luxury of playing Helm at wing now that we have Andersson and Emmerton.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Thank you for the welcome mate. Yeah it is a nice benefit of always having great center depth.

I personally would be surprised to see Samuelsson plays 10-15 this year given the groin injuries. And if Babcock refueses to split up one of Brunner/Franzen from Zetta I would like to see a forward lineup along the lines of:

93-40-24
51-13-43
17-63-21
8/20-25-22

(it won't happen but I would love aby to sit come playoffs as 13th man while miller plays)

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Thank you for the welcome mate. Yeah it is a nice benefit of always having great center depth.

I personally would be surprised to see Samuelsson plays 10-15 this year given the groin injuries. And if Babcock refueses to split up one of Brunner/Franzen from Zetta I would like to see a forward lineup along the lines of:

93-40-24
51-13-43
17-63-21
8-25-22

Welcome aboard.

And I like your lineup. I think it's extremely balanced and adds an opportunity for offense from each line. Looks like something Babcock would do, except I'm not sure we'll see Helm moved away from center duties.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad