What happens to Carlyle?

MiniMoose

Apr 12, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Does Randy Carlyle get sacked for a different coach or do you think Nonis keeps him? If Nonis does release him of his duties, the last half of last year's season is pretty much a waste. The players would have to reconfigure with a different coach. I doubt they fire him because there isn't any better options, other than the promotion of Dallas Eakins. IMHO

bluebarry

Jan 15, 2010
This firing is completely out of nowhere no telling what this new ownership group will do.
horrible opening message to send out to the organization, if they could have articulate a meaningfull hockey related reason it would be different. can't imagine anyone in the org will feel secure with this type of decision.

the look on nonis\ face in that presser tells the story. Can't imagine there will be much if any support for this move within the org. imo burkes front office jumps ship at first oppertunity, no way nonis will be able to resolve this long term.

gonna be a long long rebuild.

i like nonis but can't see his tenure working out already too much friction and he hasn't even started, won't be surprised when we get jfj 2.0
unbelievable

LeeIs

....--....
Mar 17, 2004
T.O.
Absolutely nothing. He hasn't even coached a season yet.

Do you seriously believe there's any chance of them firing RC?? I'm really amazed.

LeaffanDM

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
this is another interesting story in a mountain of them that go along with burke getting fired. I dont think carlyle is safe by any means. If i am a GM taking over for another GM, i want to make my mark on the team so i can call it my team which is Nonis' right. sure nonis and burke worked together etc. but carlyle was clearly a burke choice and i think if nonis doesnt like what he sees on the ice in these 48 games within the players and staff. we could be looking at a significant blow up this summer right down the the coaching staff. The roster wont be that hard because most of the players are going to be without contracts anyways but maybe nonis wants to choose his own coach. or maybe he wants to bring eakins up.

we will really find out though in this next couple weeks how intune burke and nonis really were with the moves, if any that he makes.

Toasterman

Jul 23, 2010
He probably gets to the middle of next season at most if the team isn't improved.

bshaw

Jul 4, 2010
Hamilton
Did he not just sign a contract even though Burke is gone doesn't mean he's gunna get canned, he needs a fair shot first!

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
People forget Nonis loves Carlyle as much as Burke does.

He'll stay on for the foreseeable future.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Just seems crazy Burke was allowed to do all these trades, signings, and hirings only to be shipped out as soon as the lock out ends...

Mr Scarface*

Interesting to see yeah.

He is one hard ass golf grinder.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Does Randy Carlyle get sacked for a different coach or do you think Nonis keeps him? If Nonis does release him of his duties, the last half of last year's season is pretty much a waste. The players would have to reconfigure with a different coach. I doubt they fire him because there isn't any better options, other than the promotion of Dallas Eakins. IMHO

Have the players really had time to change yet. Anyway I think he stays, even though this team is not built for his defensive style.

summerstorm

Dec 5, 2011
Just seems crazy Burke was allowed to do all these trades, signings, and hirings only to be shipped out as soon as the lock out ends...

thats what happens when skilled folk are a threat to wanna b's...this team is sunk....;(

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012

I really don't think he's going anywhere, few reasons- A) He is under contract for us for the next few seasons, it would cost a lot of money to buy him out and also it would give us a bad rep for coaches. B) The players are in turmoil, they are scrambling from coming back from across the world, now they are finding out their GM has been sacked, I think firing the coach would create further caos C) It's not just as simple as "fire Carlyle" because a replacement would have to be found, and lets be honest there isn't much out there NHL replacment wise.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Carlyle is more of a Nonis guy than a Burke guy and he was in on the hiring anyway. No chance Carlyle is fired, he'd be the guy Nonis would hire as his #1 choice even if Burke wasn't a factor.

id4joey

Jan 9, 2013
Montreal
Carlyle on Life Support

Make no mistake about it, Carlyle is Burke's man. RC is on the hot seat more than any other coach. Personally, I don't think he is the man to lead the Leafs into the playoffs, and even if they make the playoffs it won't be a deep run. Use these 48 games to push the players very hard, and be prepared to bring in a new coach for next year.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Make no mistake about it, Carlyle is Burke's man. RC is on the hot seat more than any other coach. Personally, I don't think he is the man to lead the Leafs into the playoffs, and even if they make the playoffs it won't be a deep run. Use these 48 games to push the players very hard, and be prepared to bring in a new coach for next year.

I disagree with this post entirely. One, Yes Burke hired Carlyle however Nonis has a history with him as well dating back to Mantioba. Secondly, he has a three year contract I doubt he gets bought out, it sends a bad message to any future coach "If you come here you could be fired not for not doing your job but because the GM that brought you here will be fired", no coach will want to come here if that were to occur. Three, Carlyle has a history of winning, last year was I think the only time in his NHL career his team has not made the playoffs, that's pretty impressive if you ask me. Four, I don't think the leafs will make the playoffs this year but it wont be on Carlyle, it'll be because we just don't have a good enough team to get to the dance.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
interesting....

"When the club was looking for a coach to replace Ron Wilson in the grim days when last season transformed itself into a lost season, NHL sources say Nonis went to bat for Dallas Eakins, then and now the coach of the AHL Marlies. Nonis and other front-office executives were of the belief that Eakins is everything a modern-era coach should be; progressive but hard-nosed, communicative with players but never friends with them. Burke, of course, insisted on his old friend Randy Carlyle."

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...is-knows-his-way-around-leafs-gm-role-feschuk

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Even crazier that management's justification for firing Burke is that they want to "head in a new direction" and then sign Burke's protege to an extension while also stating that there's no rush to make the playoffs and that they're happy with where the team is headed.

Something smells, boys.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Nothing Carlyle hasn't done anything yet.

He's a good coach for this club.

He'll bring out the best in Phaneuf/Komisarek and the goaltending, what our team needs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad