Speculation: What happens next year if the wheels fall off again

triplcrown

Jul 23, 2006
SF Valley, SoCal
Isn't Sutter pretty much guaranteed to be replaced by Stevens ?

Sadly, you may be right.

Stevens is capable, but doesn't have the head-coach mojo
I could clearly see in Stother's Reign, IMHO.

I would love to see Stothers get to work with our top guys on the Big Club.
He gets a lot out of what he has, whether a collection of 2-way guys (like this past season),
or with a star-studded bunch (like 2015 Monarchs).

I was lucky to go to 5 Reign games in '15-'16.
The Reign's breakouts were exceptional, and their defensive "stickiness" was perhaps even more suffocating
than the Kings slower (imo)"heavy" style is in the NHL.

The 2 teams clearly play the same style/on-ice patterns, but the Reign seemed to play
a more "in-motion, all-the-time"-style than the King's more "start and stop" style in the NHL.

IMO, Stothers coaches a better "in-motion" and "flowing" style better than I've seen with the Kings.

IMO, for head-coach,
Stothers>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Stevens

Besides, the Flyers will hire JS in a heartbeat, so
no reason to feel guilty or anything.

A couplet for today ...
if%2Byou%2Bhire%2Bstothers%252C%2Byou%2Bshall%2Bgo%2Bfarther%2Bthan%2Bthe%2Bothers.jpg

Last edited:

triplcrown

Jul 23, 2006
SF Valley, SoCal

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
No love for Stevens? I think with Stothers the Kings should give him another year or two in the AHL and promote him to an assistant in LA and go the same route Stevens is on now. Just always have that guy learning at the current head coaches side.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The black hole OR worse, getting bounced in round 1 of the playoffs.

I think getting bounced in the first round is still considered being in the proverbial black hole, which is a middle of the road team who is good enough to compete for a playoff spot but not good enough to make a serious run at the Cup.

Then again, I keep going back to Pittsburgh and how that really was their situation in between their 2009 and 2016 Cup victories.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I chose stay the course, not because of Kempe but because I think this could be a down year (still expect playoffs). The Vegas expansion will make things different. I give the kings two seasons (up to 17-18) before anything drastic needs to done.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I think getting bounced in the first round is still considered being in the proverbial black hole, which is a middle of the road team who is good enough to compete for a playoff spot but not good enough to make a serious run at the Cup.

Then again, I keep going back to Pittsburgh and how that really was their situation in between their 2009 and 2016 Cup victories.

They also fired the cup winning coach and cup winning GM.

We are not at that point yet, but it's not debatable that Lombardi has been a bottom five GM these last three offseasons.

As far as DS goes, again, not at that point yet, but this wouldn't be the first time a winning coach has been tuned out by his team.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
They also fired the cup winning coach and cup winning GM.

We are not at that point yet, but it's not debatable that Lombardi has been a bottom five GM these last three offseasons.

As far as DS goes, again, not at that point yet, but this wouldn't be the first time a winning coach has been tuned out by his team.

Garbage. Lombardi took a shot when the team was within range of grabbing another cup. It didn't workout last year with Voynov getting deported and Martinez getting injured, but those are the risks you have to take to try and win it all. So they traded a couple of picks and prospects, they have plenty of time to restock on talent now that the window is closed.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Garbage. Lombardi took a shot when the team was within range of grabbing another cup. It didn't workout last year with Voynov getting deported and Martinez getting injured, but those are the risks you have to take to try and win it all. So they traded a couple of picks and prospects, they have plenty of time to restock on talent now that the window is closed.

Except the Lucic trade was moronic. I can understand the Sekera move, but trading away valuable assets for Lucic when we still had a gaping hole D was short sighted. Jones went on to play in the Cup Finals and Miller could have been a call up (also whats his name, that good prospect we could have drafted). I'll always dislike that trade, giving up assets like that for one measly year of Lucic.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Except the Lucic trade was moronic. I can understand the Sekera move, but trading away valuable assets for Lucic when we still had a gaping hole D was short sighted. Jones went on to play in the Cup Finals and Miller could have been a call up (also whats his name, that good prospect we could have drafted). I'll always dislike that trade, giving up assets like that for one measly year of Lucic.

I still think part of the Lucic deal was making sure the team at least made the playoffs last year, so that the pick sent to Carolina wouldn't end up a lottery pick. Which is also why the pick sent to Carolina was conditional in the first place, since it wasn't guaranteed the Kings were making the playoffs in 14-15.

Just like we'll never know what would've happened to the roster had the Kings gone out in 4 or 5 to the Sharks in 2014, we can't know how the future would've unfolded had they not gone on that little run in 14-15, giving Lombardi a reason to give the defending champs a chance.

Lombardi's loyalty being what it is, that insane 2014 run came at a cost.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
I still think part of the Lucic deal was making sure the team at least made the playoffs last year, so that the pick sent to Carolina wouldn't end up a lottery pick. Which is also why the pick sent to Carolina was conditional in the first place, since it wasn't guaranteed the Kings were making the playoffs in 14-15.

Just like we'll never know what would've happened to the roster had the Kings gone out in 4 or 5 to the Sharks in 2014, we can't know how the future would've unfolded had they not gone on that little run in 14-15, giving Lombardi a reason to give the defending champs a chance.

Lombardi's loyalty being what it is, that insane 2014 run came at a cost.

Schrodinger's Kings.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I think the question is what happens if the Kings miss the playoffs? What happens if Brown continues to decline and the Kings are unable to deal him at some point during the season? To me, those 2 things constitutes the wheels falling off.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I think the question is what happens if the Kings miss the playoffs?

I imagine the Kings will get their highest pick since 2010, since I don't think Lombardi is all in with this team anymore until they prove it. Free agents traded at the deadline this time. Doubt any long or bad contracts are going anywhere. I'm not even sure Lombardi would buy at the deadline if the Kings are scratching and clawing to make it.

What happens if Brown continues to decline and the Kings are unable to deal him at some point during the season?

I think that's a foregone conclusion. Even if Brown got 25 goals this year, the odds of him repeating that in future years would be on the low side. Nobody needs his contract. At best, you get some other team's multi-year $6m problem. All a buy out does is prolong the problem. Brown's contract is going to cost the Kings one way or another, and it might be best to just ride it out. If it hurts the Kings in the standings, at least they get that higher pick, which I think they'll hang onto at this point.

I know, they'll just pick Hickey, Teubert, or Forbort again. Still better than whatever ransom they would have to give another team in order to clear Brown's contract.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Sadly, you may be right.

Stevens is capable, but doesn't have the head-coach mojo
I could clearly see in Stother's Reign, IMHO.

I would love to see Stothers get to work with our top guys on the Big Club.
He gets a lot out of what he has, whether a collection of 2-way guys (like this past season),
or with a star-studded bunch (like 2015 Monarchs).

I was lucky to go to 5 Reign games in '15-'16.
The Reign's breakouts were exceptional, and their defensive "stickiness" was perhaps even more suffocating
than the Kings slower (imo)"heavy" style is in the NHL.

The 2 teams clearly play the same style/on-ice patterns, but the Reign seemed to play
a more "in-motion, all-the-time"-style than the King's more "start and stop" style in the NHL.

IMO, Stothers coaches a better "in-motion" and "flowing" style better than I've seen with the Kings.

IMO, for head-coach,
Stothers>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Stevens

Besides, the Flyers will hire JS in a heartbeat, so
no reason to feel guilty or anything.

A couplet for today ...
if%2Byou%2Bhire%2Bstothers%252C%2Byou%2Bshall%2Bgo%2Bfarther%2Bthan%2Bthe%2Bothers.jpg

Much as I'd love to have Stevens back in Philly, since he was fired too soon IMO, not gonna happen, Hexy LOVES Hakstol, gave him a 5 yr/10 Million dollar contract for No NHL experience.
Not a fan of Hakstol or that deal.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I imagine the Kings will get their highest pick since 2010, since I don't think Lombardi is all in with this team anymore until they prove it. Free agents traded at the deadline this time. Doubt any long or bad contracts are going anywhere. I'm not even sure Lombardi would buy at the deadline if the Kings are scratching and clawing to make it.

I think that's a foregone conclusion. Even if Brown got 25 goals this year, the odds of him repeating that in future years would be on the low side. Nobody needs his contract. At best, you get some other team's multi-year $6m problem. All a buy out does is prolong the problem. Brown's contract is going to cost the Kings one way or another, and it might be best to just ride it out. If it hurts the Kings in the standings, at least they get that higher pick, which I think they'll hang onto at this point.

I know, they'll just pick Hickey, Teubert, or Forbort again. Still better than whatever ransom they would have to give another team in order to clear Brown's contract.

If that happened Vegas would take him in a New York minute. They will be starved for offense in a pure entertainment city not to mention having a desperate need to find leaders that can meld together a bunch of guys that haven't played together and probably don't want to be there at all.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal

The black hole OR worse, getting bounced in round 1 of the playoffs.

The fact the Kings did not go into the playoffs at full strength (read: 2011 encore; instead of Kopi, it's Alec) just earned the team the "Pretender" diss.

TL; DR/abridged answer.

Back on topic, go for a full-on youth movement, if the worst scenario did happen. I have a feeling guys with cool heads and heavy responsibilities on the ice like Tyler Toffoli, Jeff Carter, and Anze Kopitar would be ready to take their juniors under their wings (pun intended).

Besides, the team needs to evolve and be more flexible to respond to different on-ice situations. I observe how the concurrent system is receiving a flowchart, to the rivals' advantages. :help: If Coach Sutter and GM Lombardi were serious about the system, then they should do everything in their power and experience to convert those weaknesses into positions of power, without sacrificing their concurrent strengths.

Case in point: this past 2016 SCF, the Penguins flat out shut down the Sharks' main threats of Pavelski/Marleau/Thornton. And yes, the Sharks exposed the lack of D the Kings concurrently have.

Last edited:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
If that happened Vegas would take him in a New York minute. They will be starved for offense in a pure entertainment city not to mention having a desperate need to find leaders that can meld together a bunch of guys that haven't played together and probably don't want to be there at all.

In a non-cap world, Brown wouldn't need to be traded, could've already been traded, or an expansion team would certainly take him, whether he had 5 or 25 goals. In a cap world, while we have no expansion example yet, I don't think even an expansion team would want that contract. It's $6m on the cap until 2022, for a guy that would be 32 by the time Vegas is drafting, who doesn't have 25 goals in the last 2 years combined. Vegas can find a captain.

I'd love for Brown to have 25 goals this year, regardless of what happens after that. I think the Kings are stuck with the contract no matter what. He could have 30 points in the playoffs and win the Conn Smythe. It's still $6m on the cap until 2022.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
In a non-cap world, Brown wouldn't need to be traded, could've already been traded, or an expansion team would certainly take him, whether he had 5 or 25 goals. In a cap world, while we have no expansion example yet, I don't think even an expansion team would want that contract. It's $6m on the cap until 2022, for a guy that would be 32 by the time Vegas is drafting, who doesn't have 25 goals in the last 2 years combined. Vegas can find a captain.

I'd love for Brown to have 25 goals this year, regardless of what happens after that. I think the Kings are stuck with the contract no matter what. He could have 30 points in the playoffs and win the Conn Smythe. It's still $6m on the cap until 2022.

Really. Where? A 25 goal scoring Brown is earning his contract. He would also be a magnet for the damage he's done with SJ, Anaheim and Arizona, then you add in the resulting dynamic with LA. Cap for Vegas won't be relevant for ages. No brainer.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
If Brown scores 25 Goals, the Kings would protect him, and not expose him to the draft.

He would be earning his contract.

25 Goals on the Kings, is like scoring 30+Goals, on another team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad